Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody see this crash at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default anybody see this crash at Thunderhill

anybody see this crash at Thunderhill, and know what happened?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Man that was weird.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

That was very strange!!

It looks like the Vette went hard on the brakes just at that curbing.

At the end of the video there's a white car (Vette?) off in the grass to the right. I wonder if that guy has been sitting there a while, or maybe he went off just as the Vette that got hit in the rear came up on that curbing and could see the other guy spinning out up ahead of him.

I don't see any dust coming up from that car off-track, but if it did just happen then the accident Vette may have been slowing to avoid problems with that guy.

I'll be interested to hear if anybody knows what really happened!!

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read off Rennlist that there was a yellow flag thrown, and the Vette slowed down as he saw the stalled car down the track. Unfortunately, the Miata did not react in time.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Guess who's paying the bill?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Guess who's paying the bill?
probably each of them on their own most likely unless miata guy agreed to pay for damaged

thankfully only looks like bumper cover 1/4 panel and maybe hatch, sure the guys is glad his 2k wing wasnt messed up
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

NASA policy determines who's at fault, then that person foots the bill.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Huh? I better read the rule book again....
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

the corner worker in the tower might have pulled the yellow out late which lead to the corvette braking fast
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's never been that way before.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi guys, I just had a new wrap done on my ST2 car so it was bound to have some contact this weekend .

There was a waving yellow flag in T11 that you can't see in the video. I was trying not to pass the legends car under yellow. In the split second that I decided to not pass that slow legends car I didn't realize he must have also been disabled and going so slowly. The yellow was for a GT40 that had spun on the exit of the turn.

Sucks for both me and the miata guy. Luckily I only broke a rear spindle and nothing else except for body damage. What sucks is I just got the car wrapped. Both the other driver (who is my friend) and I are fine. Let's not turn this into a big forum "you should have done this or that" session please. After 5 years of racing and dozens of close calls these things will happen sooner or later. Thanks!

Bill.

BTW, this weekend was going quite well up until that point. I qualified pole in the SU class and was winning a close race holding off some fast cars. One split second of a bad decision made the day not so good. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear of your accident and luckily no one got hurt.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
Hi guys, I just had a new wrap done on my ST2 car so it was bound to have some contact this weekend .

There was a waving yellow flag in T11 that you can't see in the video. I was trying not to pass the legends car under yellow. In the split second that I decided to not pass that slow legends car I didn't realize he must have also been disabled and going so slowly. The yellow was for a GT40 that had spun on the exit of the turn.

Sucks for both me and the miata guy. Luckily I only broke a rear spindle and nothing else except for body damage. What sucks is I just got the car wrapped. Both the other driver (who is my friend) and I are fine. Let's not turn this into a big forum "you should have done this or that" session please. After 5 years of racing and dozens of close calls these things will happen sooner or later. Thanks!

Bill.

BTW, this weekend was going quite well up until that point. I qualified pole in the SU class and was winning a close race holding off some fast cars. One split second of a bad decision made the day not so good. Oh well, live and learn.
Bill, that is what I thought had happened, was this a race? it was posted up on rennlist as a DE did't recognize your car with the new wrap glad your ok and damage was not to bad.

Last edited by z06801; 04-17-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sperkins
It's never been that way before.
That's how it is here. I see it the most with the CMC cars. I don't think it's limited to that class either. Of course now I can't find it in writing, I wonder if it's a regional thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That's how it is here. I see it the most with the CMC cars. I don't think it's limited to that class either. Of course now I can't find it in writing, I wonder if it's a regional thing.
I've been with NASA for almost 10 years and I've never heard tfhat before. It's not like that in SE or MA.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

That's good to know, because I won't be in CO forever. If you find yourself in the RM region, just know this policy exists under the current administration.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Serious? You sign off on that when you sign the waiver? If yes, then that's pretty enforcable (in court).

Last edited by froggy47; 04-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To anybody see this crash at Thunderhill

Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

In the RM region, yes. The only way I've actually seen it in action is cmc guys offering up doors and stuff. They've mentioned it in hpde too. I'll get clarification at the next event because I thought this was NASA wide. The contact forms get filled out and the blame gets placed. In fact, there was TT contact at the last event, so I'll see how that gets handled to get an idea too.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see you're alright Bill.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

The only way I've actually seen it in action is cmc guys offering up doors and stuff. They've mentioned it in hpde too. I'll get clarification at the next event because I thought this was NASA wide. The contact forms get filled out and the blame gets placed.
Contact reports are required throughout NASA and it is written in CCR just what constitutes reportable "contact" and what the Incident Review Board will review. Not all contact is actionable.

From the CCR:

27.4.1 Body Contact
Body Contact is defined as any part of any car making physical contact with another car significant enough to cause one (1) car to sustain body damage or to be significantly knocked off of the racing line.
27.4.2 Damage
Damage from an incident is limited to the following definition: Any sheet metal, fiberglass, or other body material, deformity significant enough to cause the NASA Officials to enforce the “50/50 rule,” thus requiring repairs. Damage to suspension or other mechanical components are not included in this definition. Damage to plastic or vinyl bumper covers, trim pieces, splitters, marker lights; and marks from tire rubs, are not considered damage for the purposes of this section."

The IRB can determine blame and assign penalties if an incident reaches their criteria, but financial penalties paid to another driver aren't one of them. If that were the case, the racing community would shrink significantly.

It appears that the CMC guys in your region have some kind of gentlemen's agreement to "voluntarily" help replace parts when an incident occurs.

I know of a few incidents in the SE where racers have paid money to others if they feel they contributed to a crash that damaged another car. But that was completely voluntary and above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm still waiting on the guy who dumped gallons of oil on the parade lap in turn 6 at Road Atlanta and subsequently wrecked my car to call me and at least apologize, but I got nothing.

But, that's racing!

Assigning financial responsibility would be bad for business, and a terrible precedent.

Quick Reply: anybody see this crash at Thunderhill