Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra Suzuka GT seat in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Cobra Suzuka GT seat in a C6

I got these seats installed in my '10 C6 and love them. The shop did a great job but based on the width of the seat, the slide rails really don't allow sliding. The seat is just too wide and it runs up into the center console. Luckily, it's the right distance away so it works for me where it is currently positioned

Has anyone else has difficulty with this seat in a C6?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Check the track mounting position, by multiple accounts the Cobra Suzuka GT will fit and slide with clearance just need to adjust the seat mount/track positions.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I use the wide version of the Suzuka in my car without any issues. It is a tight fit but works perfectly with the slider.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

That's pretty concerning that they couldn't get it in without providing for the slider function to work. I guess they need to work on it some more. They don't have much experience with the Vette and its showing.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Is there room on the door side? Corvettes need the seats to be offset towards the door.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

There is a touch of room on the door side, but very little. It does appear they should have offset a touch to that side. I tried and the seat does actually slide forward and back a few inches, but it rubs along the console. So, not that bad overall.

Problem now is seat is about an inch high with my helmet on even with the bottom cushion removed. They will need to tweak that when they fix the airbag light. We bought the Vetteworks sims, but I guess it wasn't installed correctly.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
There is a touch of room on the door side, but very little. It does appear they should have offset a touch to that side. I tried and the seat does actually slide forward and back a few inches, but it rubs along the console. So, not that bad overall.

Problem now is seat is about an inch high with my helmet on even with the bottom cushion removed. They will need to tweak that when they fix the airbag light. We bought the Vetteworks sims, but I guess it wasn't installed correctly.
Did you get both sims for the drivers side....black and yellow? Also are you replacing the passenger seat also? That opens up a bigger can of worms.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Here is how I simulated the airbags for my drives seat (from an old post)

My plan was to make a set up that would allow me to quickly swap out my stock seat (which I use for daily driving) with a race seat for HPDE's. I also want the airbags to be active for the trip to and from the track. I am using the Vetteworks Simulators. But, the normal installation requires pulling the stock harness out of the stock seat. To make the switch out easier I ordered a replacement seat harness from one of the forum vendors. Seat harnesses can be ordered two ways....with heat and memory....or without. The harness without heat and memory is only ~$25 (vs. $100+ for the other one). In addition to the harness you will need three plug in simulators (two for pre '08 cars). One simulator is for the seat airbag, the second is for the seat position sensor, the third (for '08+ cars) is for the seat belt pretensioner.

Here is a picture of the three simulators. The two yellow simulators (airbag and pretensioner)fit together and make one plug. The black plug attaches to the harness and simulates the seat position sensor.

Here is a picture of the harness (without heat and memory).

Here is a picture of how I modified the harness. You only need the pink and green wires going to the seat position sensor (or simulator in this case)

This is what the seat area looks like with no seat. The yellow plug is for the seat airbag (and pretensioner in '08+ cars). This is where the two yellow simulators plug in. The wide black plug is where the harness plugs in for the seat track simulator. The black simulator plugs into the other end of the harness.

I hope this is helpful for others.

Charley
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

thanks for that the sims were always a gray area for me
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Here are some picture showing how the Suzuka fits in my car.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
thanks for that the sims were always a gray area for me
Happy to help
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Awesome, Charley! I'm going to print this out for the shop. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Do the stock 3pt belts work with those seats? Some 6pts are street legal does anyone actually use them otr
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Awesome, Charley! I'm going to print this out for the shop. I really appreciate it!
I hope it is helpful. Are you planning to replace the passenger seat also? If you do the operation is more complex because there is a weight sensor that I have heard needs to be calibrated.

Charley
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
Do the stock 3pt belts work with those seats? Some 6pts are street legal does anyone actually use them otr
Originally I planned on using the stock seatbelt, but i went another route for the following reasons:

1) The factory C6 seatbelt mounts to the seat frame and the slider I used didn't accommodate the mounting. I suppose a new mounting point could be welded to the mount to resolve this issue.
2) The shape of the seat doesn't allow the factory belt to sit firmly on your hips...in other words. I didn't seem safe.
3) there isn't enough space to mount the pre tensioner. If you are not familiar with the pre tensioner, it is an explosive device that is built into the seat belt buckle that is part of the airbag system. When the airbag is deployed the pretensioner is fired and it moves the seat belt buckle about four inches, tightening the seat belt.

Charley
Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I hope it is helpful. Are you planning to replace the passenger seat also? If you do the operation is more complex because there is a weight sensor that I have heard needs to be calibrated.

Charley
Yes, the passenger seat was replaced too. I did them both at the same time. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and take the car back over there later in the week. They need to low the back of the seat an inch or two as my helmet rubs even with the bottom cushions pulled out. Also, fix the airbag light. Unrelated to the seats, but I had them install the Pfadt camber kit and the steering wheel is to the right going straight down the road and my service active handling message is on. I think a full alignment will fix that warning hopefully. I hope the warning is due to the steering position sensor.

Thanks again, Charley. I really want to make these seats work as they feel great. The Schroth harnesses and Vetteworks harness bar are awesome too.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Everything is fixed. They custom modified the bracket (the shop has an awesome fab guy) to recline and lower the seat a bit. It looks like the original bracket, but better. Very professional. It feels awesome now and they took care of the airbag light. It was a sensor on the passenger side. I'm a happy camper now. Seat feels great enough for a road trip. Can't wait for the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Cobra Suzuka GT seat in a C6

Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you love it when a plan comes through.

Glad you got everything sorted out.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Everything is fixed. They custom modified the bracket (the shop has an awesome fab guy) to recline and lower the seat a bit. It looks like the original bracket, but better. Very professional. It feels awesome now and they took care of the airbag light. It was a sensor on the passenger side. I'm a happy camper now. Seat feels great enough for a road trip. Can't wait for the track.
Great news!

You will love the seats on the track. They make a big difference.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks, guys. I'm excited now to have my car back. Now, per my other thread, need a bit more camber for my Mich slicks and I should be ready to rock and roll. Final phase will likely be some aero (race wing and splitter), but I'll wait a while on that.

Quick Reply: Cobra Suzuka GT seat in a C6