Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA ST-2 Race - Buttonwillow - 4/6/2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 AM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NASA ST-2 Race - Buttonwillow - 4/6/2013

Tway Motorsports/ P.A. Construction Corvette Report

We traveled up to Buttonwillow Raceway for Round 2 of the NASA Socal season. We entered tied with Isaac Schumacher for the points lead. Oli wouldn't make this one, but Chuck Matthews in his newly completed C6 would join the fun.

Saturday Race

I qualified 3rd (last) for Super Touring 2 with a 1:54.6. Chuck Matthews put on brand new tires for qualifying and set a blistering lap down of 1:51.9. Isaac Schumacher in his BMW M3 qualified 2nd with a 1:53.0.

Pre-grid for Saturday

At the race start, I got the jump on Isaac, and had a good run on Chuck, but got blocked out by a Mazda who lost his engine. We would exit Turn 1 with Chuck, me, and Isaac in that order. From there it was a great battle, with all three of us within seconds of each other for the entirety of the race. I would pressure Chuck for passes, and Isaac the same to me. This cat and mouse game continued until lap 9 when I entered Turn 1 a little too hot and drove off and on, giving up 2nd to Isaac. I wouldn't catch back up to Isaac until the last lap. He had been working on getting around Chuck the whole time to no avail. Entering Cotton Corners, Isaac tried a little too hard and also spun off left, barely missing the flag station, and graciously giving back 2nd place. We would finish with Chuck in 1st, me 2nd and Isaac in 3rd.

Isaac exiting stage left.

Here's the Race-Keeper video from Saturday. There are links in the description to the race highlights. Just click on them and the video will jump right to the highlight.

Sunday Race
Qualifying on Sunday was much closer with all three of us on used tires. Chuck would take pole position again with a 1:52.5. I found some more pace and qualified 2nd with a 1:53.6, barely edging out Isaac with a 1:54.1.

On new tires, I got a good jump on Chuck at the green flag, but couldn't make the pass stick on the outside of Turn 1. I started pressuring him right away, knowing I only had a couple of laps with the tire advantage. I made a brazen late brake pass into Turn 1 on lap 2, but Chuck shut the door on me barely taking off my front end.

Yikes!

Later in lap 2, entering Bus Stop, Chuck broke a little early and I took my chance. Advantage Tway. I would create a very good lead, running uncontested until lap 14, when I dropped off pace by about 4 seconds per lap. Both my rear tires held a meeting and decided to go home early. Isaac had passed Chuck about mid race and started to reel me in. He caught me on the last lap entering Cotton Corners, but I was able to hold him off.

Here is Sunday's Race Keeper video:

Another great weekend. We left with the Socal ST-2 points lead. Really looking forward to Willow Springs in two weeks where we are expecting some more new ST-2 cars to battle with.

Regards,
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 AM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job!
Really enjoy reading the story as the race weekend unfolded.

Thx for sharing
Keep'em coming
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Excellent write-up Jim, thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Jim
Is your wing really moving that much side to side? Not sure if significant to wing function but wonder whether stiffer uprights might be indicated. Very nice video setup.

Roy
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM
jimtway
Racer

Its not moving that much. It does vibrate over every bump though.

I'm already designing a lower wing mount to test at WSIR next weekend. The lower moment arm should reduce the deflections quite a bit.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
Tway Motorsports/ P.A. Construction Corvette Report

We traveled up to Buttonwillow Raceway for Round 2 of the NASA Socal season. We entered tied with Isaac Schumacher for the points lead. Oli wouldn't make this one, but Chuck Matthews in his newly completed C6 would join the fun.

Saturday Race

I qualified 3rd (last) for Super Touring 2 with a 1:54.6. Chuck Matthews put on brand new tires for qualifying and set a blistering lap down of 1:51.9. Isaac Schumacher in his BMW M3 qualified 2nd with a 1:53.0.

Pre-grid for Saturday

At the race start, I got the jump on Isaac, and had a good run on Chuck, but got blocked out by a Mazda who lost his engine. We would exit Turn 1 with Chuck, me, and Isaac in that order. From there it was a great battle, with all three of us within seconds of each other for the entirety of the race. I would pressure Chuck for passes, and Isaac the same to me. This cat and mouse game continued until lap 9 when I entered Turn 1 a little too hot and drove off and on, giving up 2nd to Isaac. I wouldn't catch back up to Isaac until the last lap. He had been working on getting around Chuck the whole time to no avail. Entering Cotton Corners, Isaac tried a little too hard and also spun off left, barely missing the flag station, and graciously giving back 2nd place. We would finish with Chuck in 1st, me 2nd and Isaac in 3rd.

Isaac exiting stage left.

Here's the Race-Keeper video from Saturday. There are links in the description to the race highlights. Just click on them and the video will jump right to the highlight.

Sunday Race
Qualifying on Sunday was much closer with all three of us on used tires. Chuck would take pole position again with a 1:52.5. I found some more pace and qualified 2nd with a 1:53.6, barely edging out Isaac with a 1:54.1.

On new tires, I got a good jump on Chuck at the green flag, but couldn't make the pass stick on the outside of Turn 1. I started pressuring him right away, knowing I only had a couple of laps with the tire advantage. I made a brazen late brake pass into Turn 1 on lap 2, but Chuck shut the door on me barely taking off my front end.

Yikes!

Later in lap 2, entering Bus Stop, Chuck broke a little early and I took my chance. Advantage Tway. I would create a very good lead, running uncontested until lap 14, when I dropped off pace by about 4 seconds per lap. Both my rear tires held a meeting and decided to go home early. Isaac had passed Chuck about mid race and started to reel me in. He caught me on the last lap entering Cotton Corners, but I was able to hold him off.

Here is Sunday's Race Keeper video:

Another great weekend. We left with the Socal ST-2 points lead. Really looking forward to Willow Springs in two weeks where we are expecting some more new ST-2 cars to battle with.

Regards,
Great write up, vids and driving, thanks for posting! Is that M3 still BMW powered or an LSx conversion?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Its not moving that much. It does vibrate over every bump though.

I'm already designing a lower wing mount to test at WSIR next weekend. The lower moment arm should reduce the deflections quite a bit.
Wouldn't it be easier to run a single diagonal rod from the top of one mount to the bottom of the other? Made all the difference in the world on my garage shelves. I wonder if you'd get as clean of air with the wing lower.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
jimtway
Racer

To clarify, I'm not designing the lower mounts for deflection issues. I'm designing the new uprights for higher speed tracks. At Auto Club, I had the wing at its minimum AoA.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Great write up, vids and driving, thanks for posting! Is that M3 still BMW powered or an LSx conversion?
I think it is still M powered.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Was there some technical reason the BMW was classed in STR-2?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

To clarify, I'm not designing the lower mounts for deflection issues. I'm designing the new uprights for higher speed tracks. At Auto Club, I had the wing at its minimum AoA.
Is that a Kognition wing?

When I bough mine it came with the uprights, and those uprights allowed 3 different height adjustments.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 AM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Was there some technical reason the BMW was classed in STR-2?
He was in ST2. I think he hasnt changed his stickers from last year. He ran with all the tube frame RX7s last year in socal.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 AM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Is that a Kognition wing?

When I bough mine it came with the uprights, and those uprights allowed 3 different height adjustments.
Yes it is. When we bought Mike's wing over the winter, he wasn't offering uprights, but did send me the CAD files. I made some tweaks and had them waterjet. Kognition had never supplied the bumper or trunk mounts for the C5, but might be now since he just purchased a CNC.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Yes it is. When we bought Mike's wing over the winter, he wasn't offering uprights, but did send me the CAD files. I made some tweaks and had them waterjet. Kognition had never supplied the bumper or trunk mounts for the C5, but might be now since he just purchased a CNC.
I bought mine from him in 2010, when he was supplying the uprights. I think he had someone making them for him. They were frame mounts then with the 3 adjustable heights. I think it was only 2 inches per adjustment.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA ST-2 Race - Buttonwillow - 4/6/2013

Quick Reply: NASA ST-2 Race - Buttonwillow - 4/6/2013