Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good thread for pulling rack on jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Good thread for pulling rack on jackstands?

I'm after the balancer but the rack has to come out. Do I need to loosen both upper and lower steering shaft bolts, or just lower?

Do I shove up on the shaft like a telescope?

I can tie the wheel with rope to keep it straight, but what about the rack, how do I know if the rack itself get's off of the alignment?

Is it hard for the rack to move itself or will it move easy if I pull on it?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you undo the bolt it will just come off. You can't really push it back up and make it shorter....at least I didn't need too.

If you undo the tie rod ends at the wheel you can still get the rack out but it takes some serious maneuvering and you will have to remove the front cradle nuts completely and loosen the rears as far as they can go without coming off. This will allow the cradle to drop far enough to give you the room you need to get the rack out one side or the other. I think the passenger side was the easiest.

The other way and easier IMO is to completely remove the inner tie rods then it is a very simple extraction procedure.

When you put the rack back in you just turn the shaft from full lock one way to full lock the other count the turns and then center it with the flat aligned with the steering shaft. It only goes on one way properly.

Don't forget to anchor your steering wheel in a way that it can't accidentally or otherwise be turned or moved while it is apart. If it gets turned while not connected to the rack your steering wheel position sensor will need to be realigned and it is a pain in the a$$, ask me how I know
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
When you undo the bolt it will just come off. You can't really push it back up and make it shorter....at least I didn't need too.

If you undo the tie rod ends at the wheel you can still get the rack out but it takes some serious maneuvering and you will have to remove the front cradle nuts completely and loosen the rears as far as they can go without coming off. This will allow the cradle to drop far enough to give you the room you need to get the rack out one side or the other. I think the passenger side was the easiest.

The other way and easier IMO is to completely remove the inner tie rods then it is a very simple extraction procedure.

When you put the rack back in you just turn the shaft from full lock one way to full lock the other count the turns and then center it with the flat aligned with the steering shaft. It only goes on one way properly.

Don't forget to anchor your steering wheel in a way that it can't accidentally or otherwise be turned or moved while it is apart. If it gets turned while not connected to the rack your steering wheel position sensor will need to be realigned and it is a pain in the a$$, ask me how I know
Don't you need a special tool to reach the inner tie rod nut? Maybe napa has it?

Once the rack is out, do you need to worry about it moving off center?

I have to replace one boot anyway, maybe I should disassemble the inner rod connection like you do.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've done a rack r/r a few times. Didnt' have to lower the cradle. It is tight, but it will come out one side. It need to be pushed out one side partially, rotated, and pulled out the other sided. GM provided some clearance in the frame, but if I were building a race car I'd notch another 3/16 or so from the frame there to allow rack replacement with much less hassle.

Get notified of new replies

To Good thread for pulling rack on jackstands?

Quick Reply: Good thread for pulling rack on jackstands?