Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I ditch my supercharger and go N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Should I ditch my supercharger and go N/A?

Hey guys,

This seems like most appropriate place to put this thread.

Currently my car has an A&A supercharger kit pushing 10 psi with meth putting down 622RWHP. After going to Thunderhill about a month ago (I didn't have the meth kit) I really want to focus my attention on tracking the car atleast 5-6 times a year along with some Auto-X.

Should I ditch the SC and go with a heads/cam or just a cam only set up? I've always wanted a bad *** street car and I have a ton of work into it so it's a big decision for me.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

for road course.....YES
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
for road course.....YES
Don't let the ZR1 guys see this...........

In reality I have a supercharged C6 and its a bear to keep cool.......with the proper cooling (dual coolers up front) you would be fine. But for overall durability a N/A is better.........if your doing it for fun 5-6 times a year you would be fine.......
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trapp
Don't let the ZR1 guys see this...........
A bit apples & oranges. The A&A uses a vortech Centri. Quite different than the blower setup on the LS9/A.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The problem with the blower is heat, but that's also dependent on boost and intercooler capability. The problem with the cam is valve springs and life. Neither is particularly good on a road course.

Drag racing is pretty forgiving on heat capacity and valve train life. That is, you can get away with a lot more aggressive cams and blowers since you don't run them at high power and rpm for very long. On a road course you are at high power and rpm for most of the time and that is a lot harder on the valve train. In addition you want to make sure that the cam doesn't come in and upset the car if you get below it and it hits on corner exit.

There are some folks running boosted systems on the track, but, like the ZR1, they are using intercoolers and not running a ton of boost. Also, bigger radiators, higher capacity lube systems and oil coolers are also going to be required, stuff you don't need if you are just going to hammer it for 8 or 10 seconds at a time.

Similarily there are some folks running hotter than stock cams on the track, but really the stock cam in LS6 is pretty aggressive for a road racing cam and the valve spring failures it sees say a lot about the subject.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but it takes a lot of engineering and money to do it reliably and there's a long history of broken motors behind those who didn't spend a lot of money and do it right.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Was that your first time? If you are just starting out, consider buying something with less power to start with, whether its a daily driver or something cheap like a miata or e36 M3
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
The problem with the blower is heat, but that's also dependent on boost and intercooler capability. The problem with the cam is valve springs and life. Neither is particularly good on a road course.

Drag racing is pretty forgiving on heat capacity and valve train life. That is, you can get away with a lot more aggressive cams and blowers since you don't run them at high power and rpm for very long. On a road course you are at high power and rpm for most of the time and that is a lot harder on the valve train. In addition you want to make sure that the cam doesn't come in and upset the car if you get below it and it hits on corner exit.

There are some folks running boosted systems on the track, but, like the ZR1, they are using intercoolers and not running a ton of boost. Also, bigger radiators, higher capacity lube systems and oil coolers are also going to be required, stuff you don't need if you are just going to hammer it for 8 or 10 seconds at a time.

Similarily there are some folks running hotter than stock cams on the track, but really the stock cam in LS6 is pretty aggressive for a road racing cam and the valve spring failures it sees say a lot about the subject.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but it takes a lot of engineering and money to do it reliably and there's a long history of broken motors behind those who didn't spend a lot of money and do it right.
with proper cooling and minimal boost (6psi) you should be fine...without proper cooling and big boost you will have a big risk of problems...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yes yes yes yes yes
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
... In addition you want to make sure that the cam doesn't come in and upset the car if you get below it and it hits on corner exit. ...
What does this mean? I've never been on a road course and don't understand what it says.

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He is talking about the power curve. If your comming into the power curve on corner exit things can go sideways fast.

I run a NA setup with around the same RWHP. It's a torque box and requires a lot of throttle management.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Really depends on your setup. I had a student with a centrifugal supercharger that would get near 300deg oil temps after three laps on track. We'd do a cool down lap, another hot lap, cool down, hot, etc. I think it got pretty frustrating for the student.

I would personally run a NA motor. But if you're cooling system can handle it, the more power to you
Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a supercharged 98 that runs in our group... stock internals, but only about 5psi using 91oct. In 95deg ambient for 20min his only "back off" maybe a higher gear for lap or 2 and this is more clutch related I think. He seems to have little issue with cooling and he's very fast.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I think concentrating on being smooth, learning the line, braking, car control and so on will soak up one full season. Having a blower on there would be distracting (thinking about it, watching temps), but I don't think you need to spend to swap it before doing a season. Leave it until it becomes a problem.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would as well. Removes weight, complexity, and will better balance out the car.

ZR1's can do it...but it takes work to get those cars to be consistent and not tear stuff up too, but they were designed to be that way stock and still have problems.

You'll run into heat issues, belt slip, front bearing wear, meth controls. It can be done, don't get me wrong but if you are just starting and want to do it, just more to worry about than focusing on driving.

If you want to keep it on there.....turn the boost down a bit.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I dumped mine and went NA, no regrets!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Screamin' Z, thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Yes

Get notified of new replies

To Should I ditch my supercharger and go N/A?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Why not keep it as is and see how it runs? What's the prime use for the car? If it's your DD or a car you enjoy on the street there is no point sacrificing all that for 5-6 Track events.

Is the car tuned for the meth? If so I would get that undo as it probably not the safest. . You can map the engine for high intake temps (try running an OEM car in 130F heat and doing full hill climbs and hot restarts) but if the meth pump fails you risk popping the engine. You could run water injection if you wanted to, but just putting some decent fuel in it would be a better option and simpler. Alky often is used as a fuel supplement more than actually having any real impact on IATs or combustion temps. Saturated IAT sensors can read what you want!

Try shifting a little early and just taking it steady on the engine and letting the chassis do the work. If you want to mod the car you can look at fitting a decent oil cooler (the twin ones look great!), fitting the ECS intercooler (not full width of the rad), and ensuring the shroud is tight (so the air has to go through the rad).

Just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:27 AM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, theres nothing better than good true N/A that revs high all day.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:32 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't do it, you'd have to change screen name.
Seriously, there are so many changes necessary to make a worthwhile track car, just turn down the boost and run that until you decide if you want to go all in or just continue as is. 4-5 lbs of boost makes so much less heat then 10lbs cooling shouldn't be too bad, but you should have a great track experience.

You didn't mention anything about brakes or tires, but obviously those are the areas to concentrate on.

Quick Reply: Should I ditch my supercharger and go N/A?