Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbotech track/street pad swap-swapL&R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
aw88071
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carbotech track/street pad swap-swapL&R?

I'm running Carbotech XP10/XP8 track and 1521 on street per Adam's suggestion. When I swap pads out, is is good practice to move the left to right's and right to lefts, or should I just re-install on the same sides every time?

Adam (If your monitoring this),

I ran my first track day, and the pads performed very well...Plenty of bite, and no fade experienced as compared to the OEM pads I was running before. I did experience quite a bit of noise even while running at temps though. Is this normal, or do you expect that at speeds there would no more noise? I bedded my street pads first (no issues - no noise - 5 60-20mph pulls, cool, repeat), and then switched and bedded the track pads (couple warm up stops -- and then ran a loop simulating track conditions doing some 100mph pulls, and a few slower speed pulls for about 10min, complete cool). My track runs are also very similar to a track bed in process with a warm up lap, followed by 10min run at speeds, and then waiting an hour before the next run. No complaints on the stopping power, just thought that at the higher temps they would silence. It was a colder day (40-50degF).
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I really can't say about the noise except maybe you did not get them that hot because of the outside temp.

Re install the same side but you can flip the inner and outer pad for better wear on the XP's The 1521 just re install no need to flip or anything.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
aw88071
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Adam. I'll see what happens on a warmer day.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Moving the pads around really depends on the kind of taper you are experiencing. I have longitudinal taper as opposed to radial. If this is what you are experiencing then swap the pads as follows:
  • Outside left to inside right
  • Inside left to outside right
  • Outside right to inside left
  • inside right to outside left

With new pads I swap after the first day. At the end of the second day longitudinal taper has almost been cancelled out. After the second day it is usually time for spacers (old backing plates with all pad material removed). After the third day swap again as described above. I typically get a fourth day on XP12's, but there is not much left after that.

This has worked well for me, your mileage may vary.

Get notified of new replies

To carbotech track/street pad swap-swapL&R?

Quick Reply: carbotech track/street pad swap-swapL&R?