Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey Road Race Seat - Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Kirkey Road Race Seat - Back Pain

I just installed a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat in my C4. It works great, except that I get lower back pain after driving for about 10-15 minutes. I don't get any lower back pain driving street cars, even for pretty long periods of time, including my stock seats in the C4. Any ideas on possible causes? BTW, my seat is installed at about a 71 degree total angle - 15 from the seat plus 4 by raising the front of the seat relative to the rear. My butt is about 1.5 to 2 inches off the floor. Thanks.

--Calvin
Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same seat and even with 2 herniated discs in my lower back and one in the middle, it feels great to me. It's more comfortable than any other seat I've ever tried.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 PM
calvinlc
Instructor

Originally Posted by sperkins
I have the same seat and even with 2 herniated discs in my lower back and one in the middle, it feels great to me. It's more comfortable than any other seat I've ever tried.
Do you know what your total recline is and your distance from the bottom of the seat to the floor at the back of the seat? Thanks!

--Calvin
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same seat and got a sore back. I cut a piece of dense foam and put it in my lumbar area and problem solved.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I had the same seat and got a sore back. I cut a piece of dense foam and put it in my lumbar area and problem solved.
I just got some today. I am hoping it will help.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
+1 Worked the same for me
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I stuffed a kirkey lumbar pad behind my seat cover and it made it much more comfortable. I've done the same on other seats with removable covers.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU
Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I stuffed a kirkey lumbar pad behind my seat cover and it made it much more comfortable. I've done the same on other seats with removable covers.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU
wow! did not know they had these, going on my wish list!

FYI I had lower back pain when i started using a race seat.changing tires, changin rotors, changin pads, gettin in and out of the damn low car lol

I started Yoga exercises... that dogy downward dogy up routine fixed my back after a couple weeks. now i just stretch like that once a day and I am golden!

gettin' old sux!

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-28-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the summit link ... I just ordered one up for my kirkey ... I had back pain as well but usually just stuffed a jacket / pillow what ever i had in the car that would fit..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've had the same seat in two race cars and with 6 screws in my back think its one of the most comfortable ones I've ever had......but.... I raced two weeks ago at the Glen in an Acura with a Kirkey seat. It was too upright and I was near crying in pain all the time. Why? zero lumbar support. Couldn't keep by back bottom pressed against the seatback.
I think you may be fine with the lumbar support or if you lay the seat back a bit more.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Make sure you have the seat positioned so you have some natural bend in your knees, this relieves pressure on the sciatic nerve. Also do as suggested, pad up the L3-4-5 region so you support the curve of the spine. As suggested, If you can handle some exercises like Yoga or stretching, that will help as well. Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Zed06 is right about the knee bend. The lower the seat is the straighter the legs are and as a result more uncomfortable. One reason why the layback aluminum seats are nice. They can be tilted back yet they have a bend in them to allow the upper torso to sit a bit upright unlike the composite seats which are generally a 90* seat. Layback seats also allow the seat to move further back before contactin the crossbar on rollcages in race cars for the same reason.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have the measurements (sold the car) but the Kirkey Intermediates I had in my C4 were without a doubt the most comfortable seats I have ever had in a car. I have pretty severe back issues and I would actually be in more pain on the trip to the track in the truck than I would in the Kirkey.

Like others, I would suggest a little more recline to both get a little more bend in your knees as well as to give a little more support on your back.

It is tough to see the angle, but this gives an idea how far I had mine reclined.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Your harnesses are on too much of an angle downwards, compressing your spine. Pushing those disc's out further and further.

I mounted my harnesses on a slight upwards angle.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also make sure you aren't too far away from the pedals, straining your back when hitting the gas or the brake. I have a ruptured disc and 2 herniated and moving forward just about an inch or 2 solved the problem. I had the seat setup like I was driving a street car, so I could stretch my legs out. Not the best position when you're honking on those pedals for 30 min at a time. I have an ultrashield.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM
ninety4formula
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, what width seat did you get? I'd have to get the 18" and I don't know if it will fit in a C4.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ninety4formula
Just out of curiosity, what width seat did you get? I'd have to get the 18" and I don't know if it will fit in a C4.
I ran a 16" and 17" kirkey in a C4. I doubt the 18" will fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Kirkey Road Race Seat - Back Pain

Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
I ran a 16" and 17" kirkey in a C4. I doubt the 18" will fit.
I think you could fit an 18" if you take some trim out.

I had plenty of room to spare with my 17" and the center console trim removed. With all of that still in place... probably not.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM
jb08z06
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please read this and then look over your installation.

http://hansdevice.com/app/site/media....nl/id.4090/.f

My first guess would be seat belt mounting point is to low in back and you are compressing your spine.

Heed the warnings for this, I raced at a track that lost 5 drivers in five years before anyone listened to safety experts, now 8 yrs have past without a loss.

JB

Last edited by jb08z06; 05-09-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jb08z06
Please read this and then look over your installation.

http://hansdevice.com/app/site/media....nl/id.4090/.f

My first guess would be seat belt mounting point is to low in back and you are compressing your spine.

Heed the warnings for this, I raced at a track that lost 5 drivers in five years before anyone listened to safety experts, now 8 yrs have past without out a loss.

JB
what is the log in and password ?

Quick Reply: Kirkey Road Race Seat - Back Pain