Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ! power steering bad at hi rpm's :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Help ! power steering bad at hi rpm's :(

I had to disconnect my power steering to replace my harmonic balancer. Did the bleed routine. jacked up the car turned wheel side to side full lock 20 times, turned on the car, did it again. drove it one session, worked ok until i did a hi rpm downshift to get ready to come out of a turn, not horribly hi like 4500-5000 rpm

Then the power steering quits. like it is sucking in air I jacked it front again turn wheel 25 times both ways lock to lock, started engine turned wheel lock to lock, then did it again with engine off. Bubbles would get less and less until there are not showing up anymore in the reservoir. Went out again worked good for 5 laps then happened again

I read on other forums you can get a leak in the intake hose. causing the pump to suck air

any truth to that or do i just have GOBS air in my power steering system? Or do I need a vacuum on the reservoir???

any ideas greatly appreciated !
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I've found that when I introduce air into the PS system, I have luck getting it warm and letting it sit overnight. It seems that a lot of the bubbles float to the top and pop. I've never had a PS system quit working at high RPMs though. Usually they sing for a while until they finish bleeding those last, stubborn bubbles out.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Double check tightness of all connections in the system. Use a good quality synthetic PS fluid - M1, Joe Gibbs or similar. I had similar symptoms and it turns out that my pump was getting ready to grenade the impeller. I replaced the pump and pulley with a Turn One unit and have been problem free since then.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Could you elaborate a bit more on that matter? I fear that may be the case for me too. Last year I asked my car to make it to this year, and this year I'm asking the car to make it to next year. My luck's gotta run out sometime. Mine howls a bit when I start pushing hard on track, but shuts up once it's cool. I did flush in Royal Purple synthetic PS fluid and it did precisely nothing. Next move is PS cooler and after that pray.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Double check tightness of all connections in the system. Use a good quality synthetic PS fluid - M1, Joe Gibbs or similar. I had similar symptoms and it turns out that my pump was getting ready to grenade the impeller. I replaced the pump and pulley with a Turn One unit and have been problem free since then.
I use a joe gibbs type fluid I am thinking bad pump too
Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like somebody need to call Turn One for a new pump. If your car is mostly a track car or you don't rip on the steering wheel at idle speeds, then be sure to ask for the reduced volume pump. They may object and try to talk you out of it...but be insistent. If you do crank the steering wheel fast at low speeds you will feel the same intermittent assist in the parking lot as you are getting at high RPM now.

The normal volume pump moves way more fluid than you need...just causing unneeded heat into the fluid.

I had my rack done at the same time. There is a damping valve in there that can be removed for added feel in the wheel. Personally, I really like the extra feedback; others may not.

The folks at Turn One were great, turn around time was really fast.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I would pull a vacuum first & see if it holds. I just had mine apart to do the balancer (vids are posted - see link in my sig). With the resevoir drained and rack pulled I know I got air. I just filled the res & drove it, forgot to do the bleed & it was fine.

Next day ran autox (dozens of quick transitions) and no p/s issue.

You may have air leak.

If it's tight then do the pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Help ! power steering bad at hi rpm's :(

Quick Reply: Help ! power steering bad at hi rpm's :(