Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about installing a cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Few questions about installing a cage

Looks like I'm going to have my car down for awhile so I'm going to go ahead and install a cage. I bought this wreck so I could cannibalize the cage out of it to install in my '00 FRC, but I have a few questions. My car is already gutted inside.

First off, is this horizontal crossmember inside the dash necessary? I'll keep it if I can, but I won't know until I get the whole dash apart how much of a hassle it will be. The brace that runs through the passenger compartment will be removed.

Also, how about these little turnouts that are welded to the inside frame forward of the main uprights? It will be nearly impossible to get down in there to TIG weld the bottom of those. Worth the hassle of borrowing a MIG?

Now the builder ran the main hoop legs straight down through the sheet metal behind the seat, I'm assuming they are welded to the frame or somehow boxed out under there. I have to get the forklift out here to flip this thing to see. What I'm wondering though, isn't the gas tank right there? It's possible this car had a fuel cell I don't know.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The center OEM cross bar is not needed once the cage is in.
If the main downtubes were done correctly, it will attach to a plate on top of the frame rail like this. There is room to keep the OEM fuel tanks.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Yup, I just picked the thing up and looked underneath. Another tough spot to weld but I'll cut out those sheet metal plates that your back rests against then just weld them back in when I'm done. Guess I'll have to pull that gas tanks after all, I was looking for an easy way out. So Scott I should keep that crossmember that goes inside the dash, but ditch the OEM squaretube that runs across?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Not sure what crossmember you're referring to. The only thing I have left is the roll cage bar and the pedal/steering wheel bracket.

Ignore all the crap in the floor.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

That picture there just answered my question. Thank you! And thanks again for the clutch info, I ordered the 5.5" but it's on BO until mid May, so I'll take the time to do the cage now.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by moespeeds
That picture there just answered my question. Thank you! And thanks again for the clutch info, I ordered the 5.5" but it's on BO until mid May, so I'll take the time to do the cage now.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Can anyone recommend a window net? Summit has like 500 different models.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always used pyrotech window nets in my builds. Measure your window opening and then decide what size net you want. That will help narrow your choices.
As far as the cage. If you are dead set on using it there are a couple things that I would recommend. Remove all the tubes behind the main hoop and build new ones. For the longer uprights (the ones that go to the top) attach them to the part of the hoop where the forward bars are attached (the top corners of the main hoop). The lower tubes attach them so they intersect where the door bars do. Remove the diagonal that goes down to the passenger side foot area and if you want to put it back in there are two ways to do it. You can either make an upside down "V", like the current upper rear tubes, but with the tops attaching closer together at the center of the top of the main hoop. The other option is to create a similar "V" that goes to the horizontal harness bar from the rear mounting area. Option 2 will give you a bit more room to crawl out of the passenger side of the car if necessary.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Is there a rule for distance between the left side of my head and the left side hoop? With my helmet on I'm practically touching. I'm ready to weld this thing in, got it all fitted up and prepped, I've already scooted it as far left as I can, cutting into the sheetmetal on the left side interior to make more clearance. I'll also shim my seat up on the left side to get my head a little farther away from it. Figures I got a cage here that was built for Tom Cruise, I'm 6'3".
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

See this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ward-hoop.html

I was not thrilled with the "typical" C5 cage design in that area so we bent the bar in a way that meets the NASA 4 bend rule - like this http://www.derdizmedia.com/publicati...tbafxce/32/32/
The bar also kicks out so it is to the outside of the roof and the bend closest to the main hoop goes inwards towards the center of car (looks like yours is straight to the main hoop). I no longer have OEM A-pillars, which also helps.

Lots of room now. I am 5-10 and the "standard" cage design didn't allow room for me.

As far as a rule, the local NASA tech inspector suggested that I should be able to fit my palm btw the bar and my helmet, which wasn't a possibility before. I don't think there is an actual rule, and from the pics I have seen of people in the car, some helmets are practically rubbing on the bar.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Even with a "kicked out halo", in a hard impact - pushing your body toward that side, you're helmet is still going to get to that bar. Count on it. Impact forces are huge and belt stretch like you say.

I spend a lot of time around the Whelen GA car they have their bar kicked out/flush with the roof body work, their Lajoi seat is ON the floor, and even with their SMALL drivers you can bet their head would get to that bar on impact. Boris' head would probably get knocked clean off.

Get a COT Cup car or a Camping World Truck if you don't want ANY chance of your head getting to anything. C5/C6's just don't have a big cabin, period.

Last edited by drivinhard; 05-31-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I think the kicked out bar is the lesser of two evils.

Get notified of new replies

To Few questions about installing a cage

Quick Reply: Few questions about installing a cage