Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier / camber question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Hoosier / camber question

I've run a6's for 2 track days and driver front tire is almost showing cord on the outside of tire. I'm running about 23 psi cold and they heat up to 30 to 31 hot. My question is will pfadts camb kit help out with this outside wear? Do I need an alignment for toe if I do? What other ideas do you have to help this?

Last edited by Mike.D; 05-07-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:10 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The camber kit will get you a little more camber but more importantly it will replace the eccentrics as they have a tendency to become loose and pop out of place when you put sticky tires on like you have. Ask me how I know this. I had two fronts cord and they were due to the eccentrics coming loose. Check them.

Depending on the track and how hard you are pushing, you might need a higher starting "cold" tire pressure. I don't think you are getting the tires hot enough. I've found that 36 psi when I pull into the paddock and check seems to be the best for my style of driving. YMMV. Hoosier
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The HoHo's require a lot of negative camber to work effectively. You dont't say what settings you were running. Not enough camber will quickly eat the outside edge of the tires greatly shortening life. Check out Pfadt's website, they list suggested alignment specs that work great.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by savaGe
I've run a6's for 2 track days and driver front tire is almost showing cord on the outside of tire. I'm running about 23 psi cold and they heat up to 30 to 31 hot. My question is will pfadts camb kit help out with this outside wear? Do I need an alignment for toe if I do? What other ideas do you have to help this?
they want 3* in front what do you have? 23 cold is low for my likes.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I've run a6's for 2 track days and driver front tire is almost showing cord on the outside of tire. I'm running about 23 psi cold and they heat up to 30 to 31 hot. My question is will pfadts camb kit help out with this outside wear?

YES

Do I need an alignment for toe if I do?

YES

What other ideas do you have to help this?

Flip the tires b4 they wear the outside too much
see above
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

excessive toe can also cause outside/inside edge wear.

I'm selling laser cut camber plates also, eventually designed to work with OEM bolts (to save money). Still working with local cars to dial in the design
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
excessive toe can also cause outside/inside edge wear.

I'm selling laser cut camber plates also, eventually designed to work with OEM bolts (to save money). Still working with local cars to dial in the design
c5 & c6?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crease-guard
The camber kit will get you a little more camber but more importantly it will replace the eccentrics as they have a tendency to become loose and pop out of place when you put sticky tires on like you have. Ask me how I know this. I had two fronts cord and they were due to the eccentrics coming loose. Check them.

Depending on the track and how hard you are pushing, you might need a higher starting "cold" tire pressure. I don't think you are getting the tires hot enough. I've found that 36 psi when I pull into the paddock and check seems to be the best for my style of driving. YMMV. Hoosier

What is the eccentrics? Are those the large bolts going into the a arm mounts? What cold psi do you run?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the eccentrics? Are those the large bolts going into the a arm mounts? What cold psi do you run?
Yes, on the bottom. The bolts go through a washer that has a hole that is offset (the hole in the washer is not in the center of the washer).

The camber plate system we sell replaces the factory eccentrics and they will not shift even under hard cornering. That's a pretty sticky tire you're running there..... Hope the info helps,

Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Yes, on the bottom. The bolts go through a washer that has a hole that is offset (the hole in the washer is not in the center of the washer).

The camber plate system we sell replaces the factory eccentrics and they will not shift even under hard cornering. That's a pretty sticky tire you're running there..... Hope the info helps,

So my goal is not to cord the outer edge of the A's as fast. Would a camber kit with 2 degrees help? Would I also need the bushing kit for this?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Harder bushings will help maintain the desired camber under load.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Harder bushings will help maintain the desired camber under load.

I think if you want to really push those corners hard, the -2 is a good goal and the tires will wear well at the track. Also like stated, the use of the poly bushings will help maintain the camber under load.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the problem with grippy tires, you starting changing the dynamics. As said, the bushing will deflect more making your camber change. Going to poly or delrin will help stop that...going to sphericals will completely eliminate it.

I run 2.5 degrees of camber as I go back and forth between a bunch of different tires. I'm still relatively new to this whole track thing so I'm trying any tire I can get a hold of to see which ones I like the best. Having my car at 2.5 degrees seems a nice happy setting for most of the tires I'm going to try.

I typically run about 30 psi cold for A6/R6. Again, that a typical setting. I run at MSR Cresson and they have the 1.7 and 3.1 configurations. The 1.7 isn't as twisty as the 3.1. Depending on the ambient temperature and time of day, i.e. how cold or hot is the track, that will also cause me to adjust my starting psi. On the 3.1 on a hot day I may be at 26-28 psi depending on how the track feels. On a cold day and the 1.7 early in the morning, I might be at 32-33 psi cold because it just becomes hard to get heat into the tires. There are a lot of factors that go into it. If you only do track days during HPDE, find a corvette guy who's done it for a while and pick his brain. See what settings they run. Just try some different stuff. As you get more seat time, you'll start to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

On my C5 Z --
Solid bushings, Pfadt comp bars, pillow blocks, camber kit

I run -3 in the front, and -2 in the rear.
Pressures start cold at 28 Frt, and 24 Rr.
Hot is generally 34 and 30.
295/30 frt, 335/30 rr.

Tires wear evenly.

Last edited by db2xpert; 05-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by db2xpert
On my C5 Z --
Solid bushings, Pfadt comp bars, pillow blocks, camber kit

I run -3 in the front, and -2 in the rear.
Pressures start cold at 28 Frt, and 24 Rr.
Hot is generally 34 and 30.
295/30 frt, 335/30 rr.

Tires wear evenly.
Did you need camber kit to get -3? Tell me your c6 set up.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you need camber kit to get -3? Tell me your c6 set up.
The C5 also has drop spindles - everything went on at the same time,
but think it was only -2 before.
C6Z - still a street car, but camber is max'd at -2.1.
At least on one side. It seems like the cradle is a bit off center, since there are 3-4 shims on each stud on the right, but only 1 on the left side.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by db2xpert
The C5 also has drop spindles - everything went on at the same time,
but think it was only -2 before.
C6Z - still a street car, but camber is max'd at -2.1.
At least on one side. It seems like the cradle is a bit off center, since there are 3-4 shims on each stud on the right, but only 1 on the left side.
How do you know you have -2.1 ? I guess I want to know how you measure. Do I need an alignment shop , or can I do this on my own?

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier / camber question

Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

How do you know you have -2.1 ? I guess I want to know how you measure. Do I need an alignment shop , or can I do this on my own?
Here's a link to David Farmer's DIY guide to alignments in Dropbox - I don't know whether you need a Dropbox account or not to access it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2okyl132zoj76p9/align.pdf

If you can't see it there, go to his Facebook page to get it.

Bob
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had Pfadt's camber kit installed and had the "Dedicated Track Car - DOT Tires, poly bushings" alignment done in my car as show in the link below. They said they could get more negative camber. I actually daily drive mine and will mostly run R comps, which is why I went with those settings. One day it will be a track only car on slicks and I'll get spherical bearings and even more camber.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I just had Pfadt's camber kit installed and had the "Dedicated Track Car - DOT Tires, poly bushings" alignment done in my car as show in the link below. They said they could get more negative camber. I actually daily drive mine and will mostly run R comps, which is why I went with those settings. One day it will be a track only car on slicks and I'll get spherical bearings and even more camber.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf
did you bring it to a random alignment shop, or was it a corvette specific shop?

ALso, have you actually run a few track days with this set up? if so, are you getting even wear on your tires?

Quick Reply: Hoosier / camber question