Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Vert harness install ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 AM
C5WrenchMonkey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Vert harness install ??

Hi everyone. This question isn't strictly related to racing, but you guys seemed like the SMEs on all things race-related.

I've been looking at swapping out my seats and steering wheel for some better looking, better functioning aftermarket goodies. My main issue is with the Momo wheel I want, I'll lose the airbag. Now, I'm a relatively safe driver, but accidents happen. I'd hate to have something happen and I've got nothing but the factory belts keeping me from a gruesome end.

My main question is this: Since I wouldn't be using the car for racing (at least not in the near future, but I'm moving in with a guy that LOVES autox lol), is there anyway I can install a harness bar WITHOUT a rollbar?? I want to keep my vert looking reasonably close to stock with the top down.

Thanks for the responses!

Monkey
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll get a range of answers on this one - some more condescending than others. But really if you're not going to be racing then there is really no reason to install and use a harness on the street. The factory 3 points are by far the safest (and most comfortable) option and depending on who you talk to, they'll say you shouldn't be installing a harness system with anything less than a full cage, at which point you'll need to drive around with a helmet and HANS on at all times as well.

All those warnings aside, if you just want to install a harness on the cheap the Shark Bar harness bar is popular and economical.

Edit: just realized you were talking about a vert - not sure if most harness bars will mount up in a vert...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

While you may find a harness bar for a 'vert thus making the install of a 5 or 6 point harness doable, remember that a harness will keep you upright in the seat as the shoulder belts won't allow for sideways movement of the upper body.

In a rollover without a roll bar or cage, that would not be a good thing. Now for autocross events, the chances of rolling the car may be less compared to a track day or HPDE event, but there is still that possibility.

Check with the sanctioning bodies that will be running autocross events and ask them if using a harness system in a convertible without a rollbar would be acceptable or a violation of their rules.

If you are not using the car for events, they why have a harness system? Most all harness sets are not DOT certified and many states have laws that prohibit the use of harness belts for street driving.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ANY street use - use the OEM 3way belts, even though you won't have an airbag, you'll still be safer than using a harness. A harness without a Head and Neck restraint is SO dangerous, don't ever do that.

For the track - If you want to use a harness bar, make sure you use this combination. Proper Seat + Harness + Head and Neck Restraint

As mentioned, I think the Sharkbar should work for you.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

A rollbar is required for track events.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your car? I've both a harness bar for C5s and a chromed roll bar for C5 (which is beautiful). The roll bar is functional, not like the hoops you get from catalogs. It's a Wolfe Racecraft we used in my wife's convertible until she stopped tracking it.

+1 for head and neck restraint. Hans, R3, or the like. If you use seats and a harness, you need this.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Vert harness install ??

Quick Reply: 'Vert harness install ??