Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS tire swap for a 2008 versus 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default TPMS tire swap for a 2008 versus 2012

Im looking to pick up a 2008z and have at 2012z. Model year 2010 and up has a different sensor/computer program which will allow you to program with a TPMS tool OR by letting air out of the tires in learn mode.

The 2008 would require a tool.

What would I need to do inorder to swap track wheels between these two cars.

I tried a search but most threads seem to discuss the particular model years not swapping between.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

First of all, only the 2010 and first 1/2 of the 2011 production run (cars built by Dec 2010) came from the factory with the green sensors that will trigger by changing air pressure. In Jan 2011 they started installing a black sensor that will only trigger by using a TPMS tool. Either the green or black sensor can be used in any 2010-2013, but if you've got factory wheels then your 2012 will have black sensors and will not trigger by changing air pressure.

So....basically you're going to need 2 sets of sensors in your track wheels if you want to use them on both your '08 and '12. You could mount one set in the OE manner with the valve stem sticking out of the hole in the wheel, and the other set could be banded inside, or there are some brackets that can hold them inside the wheel.

Or....during your search on the forum you saw many references to a pressurized canister you can put a set of sensors into, pressurize, and carry in the car. You'd need one with gray sensors in your '08, and one with green or black sensors in your '12.

Or....you could pull the connector loose from the steering sensor, but you won't have any AH at all.

Good luck, but unfortunately it's not an easy solution to run the track wheels/tires on the 2 different model years.

Bob
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive had so many Active Handling issues with my C5z and most recently my C6z that now the connector under the steering column is uplugged in both.

So if I've performed the "active handling defeated" trick the TPMS will not activate?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't know much about the C5, so the following applies mainly to the C6. The C6 came out just at the time the Feds were requiring tire pressure sensors and a TPMS mandatory in all 4-wheeled vehicles less than 10,000 lbs. part of the gubmint mandate is that the system cannot be turned off or bypassed.

The TPMS affects the AH when it gets a transmission from a sensor that pressure is low in a tire, or when it doesn't receive transmissions from the sensors either because the sensor's battery gets weak, because there aren't any sensors installed, or the ones that are in the wheels aren't programmed into the TPMS computer memory in the car.

Normally, when running with sensors that are properly programmed into the TPMS, you can put the AH into the Comp mode or turn it off completely.

When the TPMS gets a low pressure signal, or doesn't receive signals from sensors due to weak batteries or not being programmed into the TPMS, you can't go into Comp or turn AH off completely, and if it was in Comp or off it will automatically come back full on. And then the AH goes into a very intrusive mode where it puts on individual brakes and pulls power when it senses any lateral G or yaw rate.

It sounds like you're familiar with this!!

I haven't tried the disconnecting the steering sensor method, but those that have report that the AH is completely out of the loop, so you shouldn't have any intervention from it - even when running with no sensors at all.

Disconnecting the steering sensor sounds like it's the best way to get around the AH problem when running without sensors.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS tire swap for a 2008 versus 2012

Quick Reply: TPMS tire swap for a 2008 versus 2012