Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Coil Over Spring Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Default C5 Coil Over Spring Recommendation

I bought some used Pfadt 1st generation single adjustable coil overs for my spirited street driven 2002 Vert. The guy I bought them from didn't know much about them. I sent some pics to Pfadt and they confirmed the type of shock.

The springs on these things are a mystery. No markings. I used to do a fair amount of Nascar racing on the west coast, so coil overs aren't anything new to me. I still have my Longacre digital wheel scales and various chassis set up tools.

What would you guys recommend as a starting point for spring rates?

I'll take that came with the shocks to a buddies shop and get them rated, but curious what you guys think.

I'm interested in lowering the car from its current stock ride height, but don't want to make the ride so harsh it irritates the wife. I like to have her with me on the occasional drive.

I'll be stiffening up the sway bars as well.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people put a lighter spring in front and a stiffer spring in the rear...but I wanted more of a race car type steup and wanted to lesson the natural oversteer of the car by having a softer rear than front...and I wanted less nose dive under hard breaking and turn in....so I went with 650 springs up front and 550 in the rear after some trial and error....I then set the shock adjusters at 6 out of 18 on the street for a cushier ride, and dial them up to 13 in front and 12 in the rear for track driving

Works great....I have a 98 vert by the way ;-)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I have stiffer sways also
Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

What springs did your coil overs originally come with?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Coil Over Spring Recommendation

Quick Reply: C5 Coil Over Spring Recommendation