Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedding New Brake Pads Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Bedding New Brake Pads Necessary?

If new brake pads are installed that are the same material as the used up pads and the rotors are reused, is there any benefit to bedding the new pads? The brake pad material is already on the rotors. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

YES!!! To eliminate "green fade" among other reasons.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No. Your not running street pad. I don't know anyone who brakes in race pads. I don't
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I learned my lesson when a fellow that was running with me on the track came up to me and said, "Hey, you know your brakes are smoking like they are on fire." I took a look at my glazed over rotor and realized that was why the brake pedal had a weird feel. I now make sure I do a break in on all pads no matter the previous. I also switched to a better pad.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
YES!!! To eliminate "green fade" among other reasons.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in
Good link to good info, yes they still need to be "seasoned"

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have done it both ways over the years - properly bedding in new pads or rotors VS. just slapping new ones on and running the next session. Never noticed any difference in performance or longevity, either way. IMHO if you are not pushing to the absolute limit racing, don't waste your time.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

We must agree to disagree.

The ONE time I went out without bedding I almost immediately glazed the pads & smeared the rotors.

The braking was OK but I think would have been better had I done a bed in.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I think bedding is over rated. Guess it depends on the compound.

I don't see what the difference is between 1 track session, and bedding.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Why does this seem to be a waste of time question to me???
It takes about five minutes of your time.
It allows you to have an excuse to run up to 80 and slam on the brakes a few times.
It does NO harm to the brake pads or rotors.

As long as even one brake expert (like Stop Tech) says it is beneficial,,, why not?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:15 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to know how to bed my race car. I'm just waiting for someone to call the cops on me cause how loud it is. I can't really bed on track because I can't let them cool adequately and braking at odd times is not safe for other drivers.

I hate good Samaritans. Get a life and stop ruining other peoples.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I want to know how to bed my race car. I'm just waiting for someone to call the cops on me cause how loud it is. I can't really bed on track because I can't let them cool adequately and braking at odd times is not safe for other drivers.

I hate good Samaritans. Get a life and stop ruining other peoples.
The track should not be that difficult. Take it easy and progress up to full speed, maybe take 4 or 5 laps, threshold braking a couple of times on the 5th lap, come into the pits and let them cool for 30 minutes.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Why does this seem to be a waste of time question to me???
It takes about five minutes of your time.
It allows you to have an excuse to run up to 80 and slam on the brakes a few times.
It does NO harm to the brake pads or rotors.

As long as even one brake expert (like Stop Tech) says it is beneficial,,, why not?
I think it would only be considered a waste of YOUR time if YOU elect to read the title of the thread, then open the thread, read through the responses and decide to post a reply.

Seriously though, this was posted in the Autocrossing/Roadracing section where the majority of readers aren't using automatic convertibles as daily drivers (not that there's anything wrong with that). Many here have dedicated track cars that are loud, on slicks and not very street friendly or even street legal. Combine that with the fact that not everyone has immediate access to a highway nearby and you can see that the investment of time to bed your pads properly may take considerably longer than 5 minutes and carry a certain degree of risk.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Always bed your pads or just by Carbotech pads and we pre bed them so you don't loose a session or risk your A** on the street.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Always bed your pads or just by Carbotech pads and we pre bed them so you don't loose a session or risk your A** on the street.
If your rotors are already seasoned with a previous set of carbotech pads, correct?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the first lap out on the track to ride the brakes and get a substatial amount of heat in the pads, Take a cool down lap and good to go.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is very hard to bed in race pads on public streets. They make noise, and more importantly, they do need more speed and a much longer procedure to come up to fading heat. I could never find a road here that I can do so without getting caught by the 'good Samaritans'.

Doing it at the track is also very cumbersome, and usually costs you a good session, too. I usually take it easy on the brakes in the first few laps, one cool-down lap, and then get back at it. So far I've never had issues..
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
The track should not be that difficult. Take it easy and progress up to full speed, maybe take 4 or 5 laps, threshold braking a couple of times on the 5th lap, come into the pits and let them cool for 30 minutes.
I actually have found the track a difficult place not only to warm up my car but also break in my pads. I'm an instructor, so I miss warm-up so my first session is a hot advanced session. Trying to go out and get up to 80 and then brake down to 30 when people are flying up on at you at 100+ is dangerous IMO. Not only that, you get to the corners and you want to go slow but people are flying up on you. If there is more than one car even with pointbys you are holding them up because they may not see the pointby's at the speed differences.

IMO, break them in on the street or don't break them in at all. I buy mine pre-bed anymore from Carbotech and just slap them on. I've never noticed a difference really.

Get notified of new replies

To Bedding New Brake Pads Necessary?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
If your rotors are already seasoned with a previous set of carbotech pads, correct?
No, all Carbotech race compounds need proper bedding, that why we offer a pre bed program. If you have used our pads on the current rotor they still need to be bed. You may be referring to that all our compounds are compatible with each other which means when you get a fresh set you do not need to remove the old pad material from the rotor.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by X25
It is very hard to bed in race pads on public streets. They make noise, and more importantly, they do need more speed and a much longer procedure to come up to fading heat. I could never find a road here that I can do so without getting caught by the 'good Samaritans'.

Doing it at the track is also very cumbersome, and usually costs you a good session, too. I usually take it easy on the brakes in the first few laps, one cool-down lap, and then get back at it. So far I've never had issues..
The big thing is on the street you can not generate the heat to bed them properly and on track it will cost you a session.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I actually have found the track a difficult place not only to warm up my car but also break in my pads. I'm an instructor, so I miss warm-up so my first session is a hot advanced session. Trying to go out and get up to 80 and then brake down to 30 when people are flying up on at you at 100+ is dangerous IMO. Not only that, you get to the corners and you want to go slow but people are flying up on you. If there is more than one car even with pointbys you are holding them up because they may not see the pointby's at the speed differences.

IMO, break them in on the street or don't break them in at all. I buy mine pre-bed anymore from Carbotech and just slap them on. I've never noticed a difference really.
You bring up a good point. With some groups it might be a problem however I instruct with 10/10ths. Advanced group has no point byes. Even the intermediate group passes in turns WITH a point bye so those two groups always have heads on a swivel and know very well how to watch for traffic. Absolutely no problem with these guys. I haven't bedded pads on the street for over 4 years now.

Quick Reply: Bedding New Brake Pads Necessary?