Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What thread size for brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default What thread size for brake lines?

I am installing a set of Stoptech brakes this weekend and I am having challenges getting the brake lines to thread up....so I am thinking of getting a tap / die to clean up the threads.

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

If you're referring to the line nut on the hard line that threads into the brake hose then it's M10 x 1.0. You have to make sure everything is square with no side force to get them started sometimes. Torque them good n' tight, but not Hulk Rage tight.

If you're referring to the banjo bolt that goes into the caliper, or if you've got AN fittings on the caliper side, then I can't recall the thread on that side.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
If you're referring to the line nut on the hard line that threads into the brake hose then it's M10 x 1.0. You have to make sure everything is square with no side force to get them started sometimes. Torque them good n' tight, but not Hulk Rage tight.

If you're referring to the banjo bolt that goes into the caliper, or if you've got AN fittings on the caliper side, then I can't recall the thread on that side.
Thank you! Yes, that is the part I was referring to.

Charley
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

This isn't uncommon, happened to me and several others. The thought is that the flare gets deformed and will not allow he threads to engage. Many forum members suggest a healers fe to "un-mushroom" the flare due to previous torquing.

I did a thread about this a few months back and it has good info on this. Run a search if you have time.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^Yep, read up.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe Ozer had the same issue.

Check out his recent Stoptech installation thread or shoot him a PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by taken19
This isn't uncommon, happened to me and several others. The thought is that the flare gets deformed and will not allow he threads to engage. Many forum members suggest a healers fe to "un-mushroom" the flare due to previous torquing.

I did a thread about this a few months back and it has good info on this. Run a search if you have time.
Sean, I searched your old posts but didn't find the one you mentioned. Can you point me to it?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Problem solved. I looked all over for the right sizes die to clean out the threads, but no one carries that size. I picked up a tool that cleans the threads and helps define them better. It worked perfectly. Now on the the next wheel.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Sean, I searched your old posts but didn't find the one you mentioned. Can you point me to it?

Thanks,
Charley
I can't find it immediately, but the info came from member victorf. I ran a search for "brake" and "thread" and "threads". Found this one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ead-pitch.html

and this one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ake-issue.html

but all the posts by victory are not visible to me. Wierd unless he has blocked them for some reason or they were removed by some other source.

Get notified of new replies

To What thread size for brake lines?

Quick Reply: What thread size for brake lines?