Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP racing brakes or Wilwood

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Roadking103
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AP racing brakes or Wilwood

Looking to upgrade the brakes on my supercharged c5 z06. Considering AP racing or Wilwood. I'd like to hear about peoples experiences good and bad with each. Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking103
Looking to upgrade the brakes on my supercharged c5 z06. Considering AP racing or Wilwood. I'd like to hear about peoples experiences good and bad with each. Thanks
first pick your budget for buying and maintaining them.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very happy with my wilwoods, wont break the bank an take the abuse i give them. Picking a good pad is also very important.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Roadking103
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
first pick your budget for buying and maintaining them.
It's not just budget but value. Wilwoods are about $1700 where as AP racing are about $2500 but since I don't have expereince with either I need to know pro's and con's of each.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Roadking103
Instructor

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
Very happy with my wilwoods, wont break the bank an take the abuse i give them. Picking a good pad is also very important.
Did you go with the kit that fits in the stock wheel or big brake kit? What pads are you using?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I still have the stockers as well and spend a weekend at the track about every month. From what I can tell, and from what I picked up from the other guys around the track, the only major benefit from either is less pad taper. If you spend an hour and flip your pads 1/3 through the wear cycle with stock, you're just as good but with $2,500 more in your pocket. If you want better brake performance, you need a bigger rotor which = 18s in the front and a bigger brake kit. That said, the couple guys I asked that are track mechanics recommend AP over the Willwood.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I still have the stockers as well and spend a weekend at the track about every month. From what I can tell, and from what I picked up from the other guys around the track, the only major benefit from either is less pad taper. If you spend an hour and flip your pads 1/3 through the wear cycle with stock, you're just as good but with $2,500 more in your pocket. If you want better brake performance, you need a bigger rotor which = 18s in the front and a bigger brake kit. That said, the couple guys I asked that are track mechanics recommend AP over the Willwood.
The benefit is thicker pads, better feel, take more heat, less fade at the end of the session, and cost less to maintain than stock brakes. If you don't run really hard and often it may not be worth bumping up. Going to bigger rotors will mean bigger rims so it can get real expensive very fast. If you get the Wilwwods get the SS pistons and the thick pad caliper. I have run the WW front and back for many miles. They were 1200 way back when I bought them with the SS therm-o-lock pistons.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-19-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The OP mentioned a supercharger. Unless he has an amazing cooling system, I doubt that he ever spends more than 25 min at a time on the track. I don't, even with NA and an awesome cooling system. These are sports cars, but not race cars.

OP - if you are looking for an upgrade in appearance, pick the one that matches best. If you are looking for better performance, put up the cash for new front wheels, tires and a big brake kit. If you are pushing your current brakes close to the edge (like me) look into better pads first (e.g., Carbotech bobcats for the street or XP10s for the track). Other effective upgrades that are more cost effective include the DRM brake ducts, quantum spindles, Motul 600 fluid, new brake lines (might as well go SS while you are there) and hardbrakes titanium heat shields.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AP>Wilwood. I've used both on different cars over 12 years or so of racing. IMO AP are stronger, flex less and are better on track. Wilwood are probably OK as a street caliper but I would never use them again for a racing application.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

There are today a wide variety of 'Wilwwod' kits.....from factory kits to a number of alternate manufactures using Wilwood components. Understanding the pros and cons of each can help prevent getting the wrong kit for the need. Review the options and make an informed decision.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I put together my wilwood front setup for about $1100. If I had it in my budget there is no question I'd be on APs.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

cooling ducts / spindle ducts are always first unless your just riding around.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very hard on brakes here and ive used both, finally going Stoptech route. At the top of the heap only two are consistently called out as being capable of putting up with the abuse a Vette can dish out: Brembo and Stoptech.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Been using the Ap 6 piston on 14" rotors for the C5 Z since 2001.
Great brakes, only had to rebuild the calipers once so far.
Have ducting and spindle ducts.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't believe that AP calipers have dust boots on them so that means more wear and tear if they are on the street. Catch alot of crap and tear up the seals and pistons.

Wilwood makes calipers with dust boot seals (Dynapro I think) as well as ones without, so if you are going to be doing a lot of street driving I would go with the Wilwoods.

Or Brembo's as they have dust seals as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shock96
I don't believe that AP calipers have dust boots on them so that means more wear and tear if they are on the street. Catch alot of crap and tear up the seals and pistons.

Wilwood makes calipers with dust boot seals (Dynapro I think) as well as ones without, so if you are going to be doing a lot of street driving I would go with the Wilwoods.

Or Brembo's as they have dust seals as well.
dust boots don't last on a tracked car unless your just cruising around.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Wilwood SL6Rs on my C4 and Hardbar's AP T1 setup currently on my C5Z. Both have spindle ducts, etc.

I beat the sh*t out of the C4 with the Wilwoods over a span of a couple of years and they never let me down. I have only spent a little bit of time on the APs, but there is something about them that just feels... better. Granted, that could very well be in large part due to the C4/C5 as a whole. The fit and finish of the APs seems to be a little better as well.

My personal evaluation as a weekend warrior (not a full time racer) is that Wilwood is good... AP is better. Either option is a definite upgrade over stock.

Get notified of new replies

To AP racing brakes or Wilwood

Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I had Wilwood SL6Rs on my C4 and Hardbar's AP T1 setup currently on my C5Z. Both have spindle ducts, etc.

I beat the sh*t out of the C4 with the Wilwoods over a span of a couple of years and they never let me down. I have only spent a little bit of time on the APs, but there is something about them that just feels... better. Granted, that could very well be in large part due to the C4/C5 as a whole. The fit and finish of the APs seems to be a little better as well.

My personal evaluation as a weekend warrior (not a full time racer) is that Wilwood is good... AP is better. Either option is a definite upgrade over stock.
AP's may be a tad stiffer caliper
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadking103
Did you go with the kit that fits in the stock wheel or big brake kit? What pads are you using?
Thanks

I have the 14" rotor kit. On track I run Carbotech pads, which compound will depend on what type of rubber you run.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Disagreed. The AP kit provides way better feedback and consistent braking than my stock calipers did. I can brake deeper and later.

The stock calipers suck and the pads are very thin.

Read this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/autocr...ease-read.html

Quick Reply: AP racing brakes or Wilwood