Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Stock Legal Harness Bar for C5Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Default SCCA Stock Legal Harness Bar for C5Z06

Everything I've seen so far regarding harness bars leads me to conclude that there are three options for the C5Z:

-Hardbar
-Sparco
-BK

I've seen conflicting reports as to whether the BK is or isn't legal for SS. It seems to be the most sound design, but it's also very heavy.

The Hardbar should be absolutely legal based on the number of attachment points, but doesn't appear to have any type of belt retention to keep the belts from spreading out. Least expensive of the three, which is definitely a plus.

I haven't found much information regarding the Sparco bar, I think it would be SS legal since it appears to be a "C" type bar, and the rules allow four attachment points in that case.

Does each of these retain the stock seat belt functionality?

What are the SCCA SS guys using?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

We've been using the Sparco harness bar in our C5Z06 SS Corvette. ProParts USA set us up. Craig Nagler, the owner, gave us everything we needed. He also runs a C5Z06 in SS. Their phone number is 818 888-8904. We just raced against him today.

In my XP Corvette, I run a Hardbar USA harness bar. The bar sits way to high for proper angles for your shoulder belts. When I bought this bar, I didn't know about the Sparco one. If I did, I would have never bought the Hardbar one.

Steve A.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 05-27-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 AM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Brey Krause bar, VetteWorks lap and sub mount plate, and a 6 pt Schroth belt system in my C6 SS for SCCA AX events. Incredibly strong bar and holds you in place much better than the stock belt set up. The BK bar does allow the stock belt system to remain installed and functional.

For SCCA, to stay in stock class, you cannot change the seats, so your shoulder straps must come around the headrest. Not ideal and lots of opinions on that. For use around the headrest, Team Tech makes a strap that holds the shoulder belts together on the forward side of the headrest and helps prevent you from dropping a shoulder out from underneath. OK in my opinion for those AX only where speeds are typically slower than track speeds and the likely hood of a multiple impact is near nil.

For HPDE's , I change out the seats to fixed back race seats to get better support and belt positioning (thru the seat pass-thru's).
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Everything I've seen so far regarding harness bars leads me to conclude that there are three options for the C5Z:

-Hardbar
-Sparco
-BK

I've seen conflicting reports as to whether the BK is or isn't legal for SS. It seems to be the most sound design, but it's also very heavy.

The Hardbar should be absolutely legal based on the number of attachment points, but doesn't appear to have any type of belt retention to keep the belts from spreading out. Least expensive of the three, which is definitely a plus.

I haven't found much information regarding the Sparco bar, I think it would be SS legal since it appears to be a "C" type bar, and the rules allow four attachment points in that case.

Does each of these retain the stock seat belt functionality?

What are the SCCA SS guys using?
BK is probably the best bar on the market.

As mentioned above the Hardbar is too high. (When Gary first introduced it a decade ago he said he designed it like an aircraft belt system which doesn't cause spinal compression, however, all belt manufacturer's installation instructions say not to mount the belts that high).

I don't know anything about the Sparco bar.

If you decide to go with the Hardbar you can hold the shoulder belts in place by using shaft collars. You can order the correct size in the finish you want from Grainger.

I used to have a set of Simpson belts in my 97 and 03Z that came with a sternum strap sewn into the shoulder belts. Although the setup had a cam lock to hold the all the belts together at the lap the sternum strap had a latch and link setup that pulled the two shoulder belts together at your sternum. Sternum straps can be deadly if you don't have the shoulder belts installed correctly so the strap isn't too high and you are sure your body will not submarine the lap belt if you actually hit something while running a course. Under the correct conditions they can act like a hangman's noose. The Simpson belts held me in very well but I tore up the sides of the head rest since they rubbed through the upholstery.

Bill
Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

SCCA rules mandate that the belts be single point release (roadcourse).
So, the sternum straps shouldn't pass tech.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
SCCA rules mandate that the belts be single point release (roadcourse).
So, the sternum straps shouldn't pass tech.
Not sure that is an issue for Solo. I never had an issue passing SCCA Tech when I ran my C5s in Solo.

Bill
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

A bit off topic so I'll be brief. I had a 5 point in my LT4 car but switched to a BK (hardware) Sparco (belt) TWO POINT belt in the c5z for autox.

Some don't know that a two point is allowed.

BK attachment points allow the stock 3 point to remain functional.

As I try to keep both hands on the wheel in one place I find a few corners where I can do it with my shoulders "loose" but not with them pinned into the seat.

I have to fight a bit to stay in the seat, but for me the trade off works.

The belt is about 2.5 inch wide and I can really pull it up tight to keep my butt planted.

2 cents.

I like not adding 25 plus/minus pounds of weight.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure about others, but teamtech belts have sternum straps that are very easy to overcome should there be an emergency. I personally only use them and have never had a problem with either sccs or nasa. If I remember correctly all dodge comp coupe vipers are delivered with teamtech and many of those raced in scca world challenge.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Did you check out the shoulder strap holder Don B uses for his car, it uses the BK bar and keeps the belts at the right spot.

You got to love the C5 sport seats.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The road racing rules don't seem to allow you to use an over-the-shoulder harness with the stock C5Z seats (you need the shoulder holes in the seats that the sport seats give you in the base model, but not in the Z06 model...go figure) because you can "squirt" out through the top two straps using the stock Z06 seats. If you get a harness you can use on a road course then you'll need to change the seats so the straps pass through the seat...and then of course you can't run SCCA SS with the new seats.

I have found I don't really need the extra support for SCCA SS, just pull the bottom stock strap out all the way and cinch it back as far as you can to get it to hold you in the seat.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Yesterday I cinched the lap belt tight, then used the memory seat feature to move the seat forward, pulling the lap belt extra tight. That seemed to help quite a bit compared to cinching the lap belt after the seat was in position. I'll probably try a wrap around strap next and then decide if I need to go further with harnesses or not. I'm used to a racing seat and 5 point harness in my C3, so switching over to this minimal setup in the C5Z has been interesting.

I've looked at a set of Simpson harnesses with a sternum strap that I'd likely buy if I go with a harness bar setup. I have no plans to HPDE this car, only Solo, so I would have no qualms with using a sternum strap setup.

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Did you check out the shoulder strap holder Don B uses for his car, it uses the BK bar and keeps the belts at the right spot.

You got to love the C5 sport seats.
I'll have to check out what Don is using. Yesterday I was looking at the harness bar in Mike L's car that Danny K built; it is a nice setup and is legal for SS but it is heavy. Other than that the Sparco bar seems to be the leading candidate in my mind.

Thanks all for your input!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The road racing rules don't seem to allow you to use an over-the-shoulder harness with the stock C5Z seats (you need the shoulder holes in the seats that the sport seats give you in the base model, but not in the Z06 model...go figure) because you can "squirt" out through the top two straps using the stock Z06 seats. If you get a harness you can use on a road course then you'll need to change the seats so the straps pass through the seat...and then of course you can't run SCCA SS with the new seats.

I have found I don't really need the extra support for SCCA SS, just pull the bottom stock strap out all the way and cinch it back as far as you can to get it to hold you in the seat.

Good luck.
With stock/street class switching to street tires, it should be easier to stay in the seat (less G's)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Yesterday I cinched the lap belt tight, then used the memory seat feature to move the seat forward, pulling the lap belt extra tight. That seemed to help quite a bit compared to cinching the lap belt after the seat was in position. I'll probably try a wrap around strap next and then decide if I need to go further with harnesses or not. I'm used to a racing seat and 5 point harness in my C3, so switching over to this minimal setup in the C5Z has been interesting.

I've looked at a set of Simpson harnesses with a sternum strap that I'd likely buy if I go with a harness bar setup. I have no plans to HPDE this car, only Solo, so I would have no qualms with using a sternum strap setup.

Wrap around strap is a waste of $$. I tried one.

I'll have to check out what Don is using. Yesterday I was looking at the harness bar in Mike L's car that Danny K built; it is a nice setup and is legal for SS but it is heavy. Other than that the Sparco bar seems to be the leading candidate in my mind.

Thanks all for your input!
see embedded comment
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
see embedded comment
I was going to see if I could borrow one to try before I bought.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to see if I could borrow one to try before I bought.

Thanks for your help.
I've used a sternum strap in the past and all it seemed to do well was limit my ability to breath...lol. I don't use it anymore btw.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I've used a sternum strap in the past and all it seemed to do well was limit my ability to breath...lol. I don't use it anymore btw.
Sometimes it seems that I don't breathe until the run is over anyway...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a torso strap (GForce) I don't use. It was given to me, I let my co-driver use it once, he bought a 4 point instead and its been sitting on the shelf for a couple years. Send me $10 and I'll gladly ship it to someone that will use it.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Just to follow up on this thread, I wound up purchasing a Sparco harness bar, BK lap belt mounts, and a Simpson harness set with a sternum latch. I used the new setup for the first time this past Sunday, it was much better than using the stock seatbelt.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Stock Legal Harness Bar for C5Z06

Quick Reply: SCCA Stock Legal Harness Bar for C5Z06