Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 programming F'd up? Possible spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default F1 programming F'd up? Possible spoiler.

So I set the recorder for the Monaco race & then another setting for the F1 recap.

What I got was the recap FIRST, then 48 laps of the race (up to the red flag) & then it timed out. Watched the recap and that was the restart at lap 49 up to about lap 62 IIRC, then it timed out.

I wanted to see Ham's pass on Weber for podium 3.

WTF?

Is this ATT U verse (my provider) that spliced it all wrong or what?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Long red flag and safety cars that caused race to run much longer then expected.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
So I set the recorder for the Monaco race & then another setting for the F1 recap.

What I got was the recap FIRST, then 48 laps of the race (up to the red flag) & then it timed out. Watched the recap and that was the restart at lap 49 up to about lap 62 IIRC, then it timed out.

WTF?

Is this ATT U verse (my provider) that spliced it all wrong or what?

Ham didn't pass Weber for 3rd.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the ending spoiled for me. I let the series record the replay on nbcsports instead of setting it for the live broadcast on nbc. Since F1 extra was supposed to air on nbcs after the race, and the red flag pushed the finish back a bit, the beginning of my recording was the podium cerimony! So I knew the top 3 before ever watching the race, it was annoying, but still a great race...although I was pissed that Kimi only scored 1 point!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

The "recap" show is *never* guaranteed to start/end when they say it will on the schedule since it has to come after the race which can end early, on time, or late.

Today's race had the extra difficulty and confusion for us DVR folks in that it (a) was on a different channel from the pre-race and post-race shows, and (b) ran long due to *expected at Monaco* factors.

Whenever possible record the LIVE running of the race and add a TON of time to the recording to guarantee that you'll get everything. Rain, crashes, safety cars, red flags, etc., can all make things run long.

Our Tivo has two tuners so I can deal with this fairly easily. With a single tuner about the only way to do what you wanted was to record the race on NBC with lots of extra time added and then, later on, record the NBC SportsNet rerun with lots of extra time added on.

I didn't even try to get the "F1 Extra" show since it was a PITA to do so and we had just watched the entire race so what were they going to tell me that I didn't already know or that I would learn from reading the post-race interviews online?

Don't wear out your DVR looking for that moment.

Z//
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
The "recap" show is *never* guaranteed to start/end when they say it will on the schedule since it has to come after the race which can end early, on time, or late.

Today's race had the extra difficulty and confusion for us DVR folks in that it (a) was on a different channel from the pre-race and post-race shows, and (b) ran long due to *expected at Monaco* factors.

Whenever possible record the LIVE running of the race and add a TON of time to the recording to guarantee that you'll get everything. Rain, crashes, safety cars, red flags, etc., can all make things run long.

Our Tivo has two tuners so I can deal with this fairly easily. With a single tuner about the only way to do what you wanted was to record the race on NBC with lots of extra time added and then, later on, record the NBC SportsNet rerun with lots of extra time added on.

I didn't even try to get the "F1 Extra" show since it was a PITA to do so and we had just watched the entire race so what were they going to tell me that I didn't already know or that I would learn from reading the post-race interviews online?

Don't wear out your DVR looking for that moment.

Z//
Thanks for those tips, I thought the NBCS was live.

I thought for sure Ham would get the pass looking at the laps leading up. Fair enough, I like Webber more.

Thanks all.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Thanks for those tips, I thought the NBCS was live.
Two weeks from now the race will be in Montreal and it will work the same way this weekend did. The LIVE race will be on *NBC* and not on SportsNet.

You have been warned!

Z//
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Two weeks from now the race will be in Montreal and it will work the same way this weekend did. The LIVE race will be on *NBC* and not on SportsNet.

You have been warned!

Z//
Who was it sang the song, "Won't be fooled again!"

Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Who was it sang the song, "Won't be fooled again!"

The Who. "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the album "Who's Next."

Btw, the live British GP and the live German GP will be shown on CNBC...

Here's the list:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773/

Z//
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just F1 that's getting mixed up. Missed the Indy 500 b/c it was on ABC. Arg!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hklvette
Its not just F1 that's getting mixed up. Missed the Indy 500 b/c it was on ABC. Arg!
The Indy 500 has been shown on ABC since 1965.

Z//
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I was really confused too. Sucked, my recording ended on lap 61. And the ending was spoiled. And there was good racing in those last 17 laps that I missed based on the recap I went back and watched. This is the second time now. At this point cable serves me minimal purpose if I can't watch racing on it; just let me stream the race after the fact and I'd be happy.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 programming F'd up? Possible spoiler.

Quick Reply: F1 programming F'd up? Possible spoiler.