Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring Caster.. directly off the steering knuckle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Measuring Caster.. directly off the steering knuckle?

Has anyone looked at the possibility of measuring caster directly off the knuckle?

As far as I can tell (anyone have any evidence to the contrary?) the caliper mounting holes are equidistant from the axis between upper and lower ball joints on the C6 steering knuckles.

Would that not then make it possible to reference measurement of caster directly off the knuckle rather than measuring camber at 20 degrees left/right?

(Using something like hubstands to provide access, not with the wheel mounted.)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Can you do up an MS Paint of how the caliper mounting holes seem to be on the same axis as the BJs? I'm intrigued by this if you're correct. What exact trim model to you have? I've done the 20* method before with borrowed stuff, wasn't that bad, but I'm always open to new methods.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Can you do up an MS Paint of how the caliper mounting holes seem to be on the same axis as the BJs? I'm intrigued by this if you're correct. What exact trim model to you have? I've done the 20* method before with borrowed stuff, wasn't that bad, but I'm always open to new methods.
Wheels and brakes are on the car right now, but will definitely be pulling them off in a week or two so will measure up everything then..

I also did the 20* method with hubstands (that pivot) but it was a chore, and having the car squirm around on top of scales and leveling pads was not the most fun (had to "squirm back" into position for my lift when done!).

Reason I am pondering this (beyond the vast simplification) is because i noticed the rear calipers are mounted straight up and down vs the fronts that are canted rearward. Exact same part number knuckle goes on front and rear (opposing sides) on all C6 generation cars (maybe C5 too?), and so the difference is of course due to caster of the knuckle itself.

So it would seem to be plausible, but before I pulled a wheel and caliper off to measure up the knuckle thought I would ask if anyone else had done so already
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You'd need a machined surface on the knuckle to measure from that is consistent knuckle to knuckle. Also, you need to have the car at the same rake every time you measure, otherwise you'll not get consistent results.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I'd personally rather take 3 minutes and do it on the ground, with the wheels on, than take the time to jack the car, remove the wheels, attempt to FULLY SETTLE the car on blocks, then measure the castor. It's a great idea, but just isn't practical for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Measuring Caster.. directly off the steering knuckle?

Quick Reply: Measuring Caster.. directly off the steering knuckle?