Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wadkins Glen-Chin event last Monday and Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Wadkins Glen-Chin event last Monday and Tuesday

Here are some video's of the Chin Event at Wadkins Glen last week. This was my first time at the Glen and I loved it!! The track was great and we really had a great time. To bad I lost my clutch slave the morning of the second day. The tough part was the 2800 mile round trip from Florida The drive was worth it . JD

Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks like you had fun so what's your take on the glen vs vir? Tough call for me
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry that happen to you. I went NY to VIR and blew the torque tube. Not as long of a ride but it sucked! Bus stop curbing looks better than it use to. Nice run!

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-27-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Both tracks are great! The Glen feels longer that it is? Would like to get back there again to get some local knowledge. I think Road America, Wadkins Glen, Sebring, VIR are really great and historic tracks and I feel really priviledged to have been able to run on them. One other track that is on my bucket list is Leguna Seca, don't see hauling there in the near future. Looking forward to VIR and NCM event. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 05-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some fast laps, thanks for posting the videos!

I was there for the event also, first time with Chin as well as WG, and I loved both.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Both tracks are great! The Glen feels longer that it is? Would like to get back there again to get some local knowledge. I think Road America, Wadkins Glen, Sebring, VIR are really great and historic tracks and I feel really priviledged to have been able to run on them. One other track that is on my bucket list is Leguna Seca, don't see hauling there in the near future. Looking forward to VIR and NCM event. JD
I haven't made Sebring yet (next year if it isn't easter). Lauguna Seca..............planning a trip in 2015
See you at Vir
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Very good lap times. If you ever get back to the Glen go into T2 in 4th not 3rd. That way you don't need to shift until you down shift going into T6 the left hander going down hill into the boot. 4 gives better throttle control through the esses and if you do it right you can be pretty much wide open from 2 to the bus stop. Could do it most of the time in my C5Z but the higher speed of the C6Z and increased torque causes the backend of the current car to get a little dicey if I am full throttle between all the way from the apex of T2 to the apex of T3. As I approach the T3 apex I can get it all the way to the floor but the backend definitely is on the edge. Some day I hope to have the rear alignment just right and a little more nerve and I think I might be going fast enough to productively use 5th on the back straight. Another thing I have been working on is to increase my speed through T1 so I don't need to downshift to 3rd for the turn. Have gotten to the point where my speed at the exit of T1 in 4th is about 3 mph less than if I am in 3rd. However, that 3 mph costs me about 150 ft at the end of the back stretch. May not be doable but the Z's low rpm torque gives me hope.

Hope to see you at the Glen some time in the future. I am sort of addicted to it since I only live an hour's drive from it.

Bill
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome videos I bet you had fun.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great videos Jim! Sorry to hear about the clutch. What replacement did you decide on? I had a Quartermaster 7.25 on a flex plate installed the race car and it's a little difficult to deal with, but hopefully, I'll adjust.

Jim
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vids. I haven't been to Watkins Glen in about 20 years back when I lived in NY and used to race bikes.

On the other hand, I'm going back to Laguna in a few weeks. It's a fun track but nowhere near as nice to drive as some others, WG included.

Get notified of new replies

To Wadkins Glen-Chin event last Monday and Tuesday

Quick Reply: Wadkins Glen-Chin event last Monday and Tuesday