Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track pad with best wear rate

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Track pad with best wear rate

I'm gradually getting faster at HPDEs and now go through about 50% of my front XP10s over the two days (stock c5z06 calipers). The XP10s have enough bite for me, but I'm wondering if there is something with a better wear rate. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had good luck with Hawk DTC 70 and PFC 08.
But the faster you go, the more you pay.. cooling helps too.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

I've got DRM ducts and Quantum spindles. Also have hardbrakes titanium heat shields (seem to help fluid but not pads). Maybe XP10 is as good as it gets?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:27 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That sounds about right using stock brakes. That's been my experience over the last 2years with the XP10s...and that was also the case with the Hawk DTC 70s I used, and the XP12s I now use. I don't believe there's a miracle pad out there that will dramatically increase longevity. If you're driving hard, and that seems to be the case, then that's about all you'll get. I recently took a set of XP12s to about a 64th of an inch in 4 days of track use. I think a big brake kit will increase longevity and improve braking, but I haven't calculated the cost effectivness yet. As I age, I'm finding I am willing to spend more $ to reduce the time of maintaining the car at the track
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Carbotech xp12 front on my StopTech ST60 BBK and see great wear. Xp10 rear on stock grand sport/z06 calipers. Very happy with this setup. Xp10 up front may not take heat as well as xp12. Check with Carbotech Adam and he will help you. Proper pads also depend on what tires ou are running.

If you are serious and in this for the long run, consider a big break kit up front, cooling ducts, and castrol SRF brake fluid.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I'm gradually getting faster at HPDEs and now go through about 50% of my front XP10s over the two days (stock c5z06 calipers). The XP10s have enough bite for me, but I'm wondering if there is something with a better wear rate. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
The RP2™ compound was engineered for endurance racing based on our highly successful XP™ Series formulations. RP2™ is our longest lasting compound that we offer. RP2™ has strong initial bite, a little less modulation than our XP12, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of our XP™ series compounds. With a good initial bite and one of the most consistent torque curves in the market the RP2™ compound is easy to keep a consistent bite and torque throughout the braking zone. Great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1650°F+ (121°C to 898°C). RP2™ is as rotor friendly as our XP™ series compounds. Carbotech™ RP2™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Endless brake pads are known to have much longer life. I've also heard people get good results with Cobalt pads, too.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by X25
Endless brake pads are known to have much longer life. I've also heard people get good results with Cobalt pads, too.
These are both good pads as well. I can tell you Cobalt pads cost literally twice as much for my StopTech ST60 calipers as the Carbotech pads.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Just ran Raybestos (47/45 compound split) at Watkins Glen for a two-day event (total of 10 30min sessions) and saw very little wear. Have another event coming up, and can report more findings.

My DTC-70/60 setup would last for two or three 2-day events. Also have Colbalt and Carbo pads sitting around, just haven't tried them yet.

EDIT: this was on stock calipers with no ducting, backing plates, or caliper mods.

Last edited by Hat_Trick_Hokie; 06-03-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the stock caliper and go with the Wilwood LG caliper. One pad last the whole season (maybe more). Caliper will pay for itself in less than 2 years.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I run Carbotech xp12 front on my StopTech ST60 BBK and see great wear. Xp10 rear on stock grand sport/z06 calipers. Very happy with this setup. Xp10 up front may not take heat as well as xp12. Check with Carbotech Adam and he will help you. Proper pads also depend on what tires ou are running.

If you are serious and in this for the long run, consider a big break kit up front, cooling ducts, and castrol SRF brake fluid.
What is considered "great wear"?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by spdislife
I think a big brake kit will increase longevity and improve braking, but I haven't calculated the cost effectivness yet. As I age, I'm finding I am willing to spend more $ to reduce the time of maintaining the car at the track
I thought this too but am not seeing it, at least not with the AP T1 brake kit.

I was running XP12/XP10's on stock calipers with ducting, SKF hubs, and lines. I was getting 3 days out of the 12's, and 5 on the 10's. This included street driving too/from track.

On the AP Kit I'm running XP20/XP10. The kit is the same size rotor wise but the calipers are bigger and the pads are thicker. So why am I not seeing more life? Well, because now I am standing on the brakes and it stops. Before I would get a fair amount of knockback and the calipers just couldn't handle the heat so I couldn't brake as hard. Now, I am braking VERY hard. So despite having more pad I'm braking harder and later on every corner now so I'm wearing them out quicker. I was hoping they would last me another entire weekend over what I was getting but I'm not seeing it.

My home track is Sebring and is very hard on brakes. Probably one of the worst in the country so pads don't last long for me. I'm sure there are less aggressive pads out there but then you probably won't stop as well so it's a trade off. The thing I like about the Carbotechs is the dust easily wipes off (I tried a set of Forado Uno's and they were awful) and they work well on the street.

I would be curious to see if a 14" Stoptech kit using the same pads would last longer. My gut tells me yes because of cooling size.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 06-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU

I would be curious to see if a 14" Stoptech kit using the same pads would last longer. My gut tells me yes because of cooling size.
That is why I am running ST60 up front. AP T1 is a nice kit but I don't think calipers are as large or cool as well. ST60 is probably best bang for buck for 6 pot caliper and rotor/pad replacement cost is reasonable. I am just fine with OEM rear calipers and Centric rotors.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Just ran Raybestos (47/45 compound split) at Watkins Glen for a two-day event (total of 10 30min sessions) and saw very little wear. Have another event coming up, and can report more findings.

My DTC-70/60 setup would last for two or three 2-day events. Also have Colbalt and Carbo pads sitting around, just haven't tried them yet.

EDIT: this was on stock calipers with no ducting, backing plates, or caliper mods.
I am also using Raybestos brake pads (ST43s front and rear) on StopTech BBK, and I had minimal (almost undetectable) wear in the last 3-4 track days I used them on. Last year, I used them on a Grand Sport with stock calipers, and the fronts lasted about 15 track days.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lite Foot brake pads are the best
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
The RP2™ compound was engineered for endurance racing based on our highly successful XP™ Series formulations. RP2™ is our longest lasting compound that we offer. RP2™ has strong initial bite, a little less modulation than our XP12, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of our XP™ series compounds. With a good initial bite and one of the most consistent torque curves in the market the RP2™ compound is easy to keep a consistent bite and torque throughout the braking zone. Great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1650°F+ (121°C to 898°C). RP2™ is as rotor friendly as our XP™ series compounds. Carbotech™ RP2™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Has anyone tried RP2?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Raybestos 147 i don't think you can wear them out! for 450 bucks they better last forever! lol

Get notified of new replies

To Track pad with best wear rate

Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Lite Foot brake pads are the best
so true
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Has anyone tried RP2?
I did. I didn't care for it. I preferred the XP12 or 20 over it and found it less rotor friendly. That's just my experience.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've had good luck with Hawk DTC 70 and PFC 08.
But the faster you go, the more you pay.. cooling helps too.
I've used Cobalt, XP12's, but I'm most satisfied with the DTC 70's

I've got DRM ducts and Quantum spindles. Also have hardbrakes titanium heat shields (seem to help fluid but not pads). Maybe XP10 is as good as it gets?
looks like you're all over the cooling part

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Ditch the stock caliper and go with the Wilwood LG caliper. One pad last the whole season (maybe more). Caliper will pay for itself in less than 2 years.
I don't know about lasting the whole season...the Wilwood's I had on my C5 were awesome...you can actually get thicker pads for them too.

The StopTech's I put on my Z06 do reduce pad costs significantly.

Quick Reply: Track pad with best wear rate