Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default catch can question

For scca, catch cans are supposedly required to hold at least a quart.

Id like to run the crankcase vent line and the valvecover vent line to the can isntead of running two giant catch cans.

Is this doable or will it pose a problem? I plan on fabricating the part myself so design requirements are flexible.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in the process of doing the same now. Currently, I have all 4 ports(d/s vc, 2 on p/s vc, and valley cover port) going to individual breathers (testing), but I think I want to run them all to one breather can. What type hoses are you planning on running? Do you think it is OK to tee them all together and then to breather can, or get the Moroso can with dual inputs and split them up? TIA for sharing your ideas.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

regular old 3/8" goodyear hose

my plan is to make a carbon fiber catch can with two inlet ports (one for the valve cover and one from the crank case), then two outlets going back to the intake as they hoses originally had. The reason being that there isnt much room for a large catch can much less two of them unless one is further out in the engine bay, and I dont want to take a system that was a few inches of hose and turn it into several feet.

Im just not sure if combining the venting into one can could cause some vacuum issues

As far as a breather goes - they work but several folks have reported leaving the crankcase venting open to the atmosphere tends to make the oil go black quicker.

good luck with your project!

Get notified of new replies

To catch can question

Quick Reply: catch can question