Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VRT? Want To Make My Tires Stickier!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default VRT? Want To Make My Tires Stickier!!

So I am running against some of my buddies at a tight/technical track (Streets of Willow Springs). We all have mostly stock C6Z06 but they will be running R6 and I will be running NT05 with many cycles and pretty worn.

So can I make these tires stickier?
This is not a sanctioned event so there are no rules to break.
Does VRT work? Where do I get it and how much do I need.
Is there something else I can do?

DH
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have never tried the stuff but supposedly it works for a few hours. Enough to get through a night of racing if you are circle track racer on a limited budget. Even if it makes the tires as sticky as when they were new I doubt it isn't going to make you competitive with somebody running R6s unless they are as worn as your tires. I got 26 days out of my NT05s and they had lost almost all of their grip by then. It was like driving on ice.

Bill
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Careful with tire conditioners, unbelievably nasty stuff (can lead to birth defects, etc)
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://pitstopusa.com/c-132143-chemi...-softener.html

roll it on with a paint roller. let dry for a few hours, then roll on another coat. Repeat about 4 times, then allow at least 2 days to dry before your event. They will bring heat cycled tires back to life, for a while.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried some of that expensive tire softener once. Treated and retreated for a week per the instructions. Tires felt stickier for about 2 autocross runs then fell right back off.

Have since used good old mineral spirits with good results. I usually apply with a spray bottle, let soak in, and put one more coat on. Seems to last all day. This was on Hoosier A6s that were heat cycled out. Have had a similar results using it on old V710s as well but never tried it on NT05s.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have never tried the stuff but supposedly it works for a few hours. Enough to get through a night of racing if you are circle track racer on a limited budget. Even if it makes the tires as sticky as when they were new I doubt it isn't going to make you competitive with somebody running R6s unless they are as worn as your tires. I got 26 days out of my NT05s and they had lost almost all of their grip by then. It was like driving on ice.

Bill
Looking for a little edge to make the R6 guys work harder

DH
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
http://pitstopusa.com/c-132143-chemi...-softener.html

roll it on with a paint roller. let dry for a few hours, then roll on another coat. Repeat about 4 times, then allow at least 2 days to dry before your event. They will bring heat cycled tires back to life, for a while.
Thanks

Only need a couple of sessions ........

DH
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Tried some of that expensive tire softener once. Treated and retreated for a week per the instructions. Tires felt stickier for about 2 autocross runs then fell right back off.

Have since used good old mineral spirits with good results. I usually apply with a spray bottle, let soak in, and put one more coat on. Seems to last all day. This was on Hoosier A6s that were heat cycled out. Have had a similar results using it on old V710s as well but never tried it on NT05s.
When do you do this? Night before the event? At the event?

We talking a light spray or a good soaking??

More infor please.

DH
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
When do you do this? Night before the event? At the event?

We talking a light spray or a good soaking??

More infor please.

DH
I try not to waste the stuff but I wet them good. It soaks in pretty fast and then I do a second application. Usually the day before I'm going to run. I have sprayed them on the car but having them off does a more thorough job. Get some cardboard to set them on while they are wet if you do it off the car. Another way is to jack the car up so you can spin the tires while spraying them. On sticky tires they will get gooey while they are wet so try not to handle them or roll them on any surface you don't want black rubber stains on. It'll also get your wheels dirty if you let it drip on them but it cleans off with a degreaser and paper towels. After it dries the tires just feel sticky like they did when you bought them.

Try at your own risk but I have not seen a problem with it. I do not do this on good fresh tires but after you see they are giving up significant time from new you really have nothing to lose.

It may not do squat on harder compound tires but neither would any other treatment.

The store bought Formula V stuff I tried was a waste of time and money in my opinion. It smelled like charcoal lighter fluid to me.

Last edited by Han Solo; 06-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

I use Track Claw myself, it absolutely works. The first 2 sessions are of course the best but even after 5 sessions its better than what you started with. However, you do need to set your fast lap as early as possible. The tires are fast from the get go. Results may vary but I'd say its a 1.5 - 2 second difference at the tracks(between 1st session and 5th session) that I run.
I apply 1-2 coats(in a well ventilated area with Nitrile gloves) using this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACING-GO-KART-TIRE-PREP-APPLICATOR-ROLLER-WHEEL-SPRAY-BOTTLE-LIQUID-CONTAINER-/360473961391?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item53edec23af&vxp=mtrI do it with the wheel on the car(I've a C4 so its very accessible in the front)Then I wrap them in polyvinyl wrap(I buy a large roll at Costco) for 3 days then air dry them for 3 days before the event. Its not that big of a deal, it takes me less than 1 hour to do all the tires.
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5067219-trac...ire-temps.html
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I try not to waste the stuff but I wet them good. It soaks in pretty fast and then I do a second application. Usually the day before I'm going to run. I have sprayed them on the car but having them off does a more thorough job. Get some cardboard to set them on while they are wet if you do it off the car. Another way is to jack the car up so you can spin the tires while spraying them. On sticky tires they will get gooey while they are wet so try not to handle them or roll them on any surface you don't want black rubber stains on. It'll also get your wheels dirty if you let it drip on them but it cleans off with a degreaser and paper towels. After it dries the tires just feel sticky like they did when you bought them.

Try at your own risk but I have not seen a problem with it. I do not do this on good fresh tires but after you see they are giving up significant time from new you really have nothing to lose.

It may not do squat on harder compound tires but neither would any other treatment.

The store bought Formula V stuff I tried was a waste of time and money in my opinion. It smelled like charcoal lighter fluid to me.
I knew a guy who used mineral spirits on his SCCA E Mod slicks about 15 years ago. Seemed to work well for him.

Bill
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Very interesting and helpful post guys. Thanks

So it appears I would be the first to try any of these options on a basic performance street tire (NT05)

DH
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Can't see why it wouldn't work on a street tire.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Look at it this way they are probably shot from a grip standpoint and should either be replaced or treated with some sort of chemical. If it works you have saved some cash for a short while. If it doesn't work you needed to buy new tires anyways.

Bill
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Yeah it sounds like you are taking a knife to a gun fight to start with. Get some A6 or V710s and show em who's da boss.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Look at it this way they are probably shot from a grip standpoint and should either be replaced or treated with some sort of chemical. If it works you have saved some cash for a short while. If it doesn't work you needed to buy new tires anyways.

Bill
I actually had new ones roll in yesterday. But saving those for our Corvette Challenge events. This event is just for kicks and will be the last for these tires.

DH
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Yeah it sounds like you are taking a knife to a gun fight to start with. Get some A6 or V710s and show em who's da boss.
I own these guys at the faster tracks like WSIR and ACS.

I will post a link after the event if you want to see how I fare.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To VRT? Want To Make My Tires Stickier!!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I own these guys at the faster tracks like WSIR and ACS.

I will post a link after the event if you want to see how I fare.

DH
got my curiosity up
Old 06-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Also I should have noted that I drive to the track on my track wheels/tires. So its a 90 minute freeway drive. Will there this negate the usefulness of the softener ???????????

DH
Old 06-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

I drive mine to the track as well. Still works.

Quick Reply: VRT? Want To Make My Tires Stickier!!