Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrades for a C4 suspension in '57 Chevy pickup

Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrades for a C4 suspension in '57 Chevy pickup

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, but after reading thread after thread about brake upgrades, this seems to be where most of the discussion is. Mods, go ahead and move it if this is the wrong forum.

I've got a '57 Chevy pickup that is getting a new frame and will be using the IFS and IRS (Dana 44) out of a C4. Because of the added weight and driving habits I want to upgrade the brakes. I'm trying to be somewhat reasonable on price. I'd love to drop $5000 on a nice Baer set, but I've got a lot of other parts to buy.

I've been looking at C6 Z06 brakes because I know of a set of brackets I can bolt on to my setup. The problem is I don't have cores so the calipers are way up there in price for powder coated calipers. I'd like to go with powder coating to match some of the other components I'm using. I priced new sets and I can get them for between $1100 and $1200. From my research those are painted calipers. A rebuilt set of powder coated calipers runs a couple hundred more since I don't have cores.

So are the C6 Z06 calipers the best way to go in my situation? Is there a better option for calipers that I can buy adapter plates to fit the C4 brackets? I'm going to be dealing with the added weight of the truck and I will be towing 3000-4000 pounds ocasionally. Not that often but enough I need to take it into consideration.

I'll also be running a stroked LQ4 motor that will be putting out approximately 500HP. I'm not known for a light foot on the gas so I need a good set of brakes to slow the beast down.

I've seen the adapters for the C4 Z06, and a few C5 calipers. What's going to give be the best stopping power? I don't plan on tracking the truck, but might try some auto cross for fun.

I'm open to recommendations and hopefully find out what the options are. If the C4 Z04 setup is the best way to go, so be it. I really don't want to go much over that in price.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

So I guess the question is, are the C6 Z01 brakes necessary or can I get adapters for a cheaper setup that will work well in a 3500LB truck?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a company doing C6 caliper brackets for the C4. C5 brakes are the same size as the HD C4, and offer a little addition to braking power. Bang for your buck, check fleabay for some take-off calipers and get the brackets.

I think it was Vansteel, but I'm probably wrong.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Unless you are running the car on the track (not autocross, real track time), the stock Corvette brakes with a set of good pads offer plenty of stopping power. If you want the disks to fill up the wheels, the C4 optional "big" brakes are more than you could every need on the street. The larger front disks that were the option brakes on the C4 aren't that common, but they are around if you look for them.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the information. I can get brackets for the C5 brakes and all 4 corners for the C6 Z06 brakes. With the price people are charging for core charges, there isn't that much difference in cost.

Surprisingly there isn't much difference in the weight between the truck and Corvette. I guess my concern is more about having what was once a Jeep on a trailer going through the mountains. We live in Chicago now but will be moving to Northern Arizona next spring. I don't tow that much anymore. The towing I do always ends up in the mountains.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Just me, but if I was in that position, I would go with the Wilwood stuff. I'd go Wilwood up front and paint the stock rears to match. Perhaps a little more expensive than transplanting later Corvette brakes, but still cheaper than the really big dollar kits out there. It would be way more than adequate in terms of performance and IMO looks way more appropriate on a custom '57 truck than the other options mentioned. You can get them in various sizes, red or black, the rotors look great (I'm assuming appearance is a big part of your build)...

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...2+Rotor&whl=18

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 06-15-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

I hate to say it but looks are important on this vehicle. I was looking at having the calipers powder coated to match. The base Wilwood kits aren't bad, but they go up steeply from there. The advantage of going with the Corvette brakes is the truck will be on a Corvette suspension so adapters are easy to find.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

There are plenty of caliper solutions for the front. The rear is where you will have the problem. The 88 through 96 cars had parking brakes that used the main brake caliper. If you are using the rear IFS from one of those cars I am pretty sure you will not find anything but stock C4 calipers that will provide parking brake capability. You can change the 88-96 rears to accept 84-87 brakes which had a parking brake drum inside the rotor and parking brake shoes. There are a number of aftermarket calipers and rotors that might be able to work with that setup. I know that Brembo made a set of 4 piston calipers that did as a friend bought a used kit to install on his 91 C4. The only issue I had with them was they only had a single bleed screw on the outboard caliper half and I couldn't see how they could be bled effectively. He wanted me to help him install the kit but when I told him it was a lot more work than just changing calipers but pulling the knuckles, replacing the parking brake assembly and required some tools I didn't have he decided not to install the kit. If you are interested he may still have it sitting around in his garage and be willing to get rid of it. Since it looks your vehicle is pretty much disassembled anyways it might be easier for you to install this kit on your knuckles. Send me a PM if you want me to ask him.

Bill
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

If the price is right I might be interested in the kit. What I've bought for the rear is in pieces and will be that way for a while. The front should be here next week and will be completely disassembled.

Not having a parking brake is not a deal breaker for me. I'm running an automatic and haven't had one in my Jeep for years. I don't think I've ever used the parking brake on my BMW daily driver.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Thotfulspot
I hate to say it but looks are important on this vehicle. I was looking at having the calipers powder coated to match. The base Wilwood kits aren't bad, but they go up steeply from there. The advantage of going with the Corvette brakes is the truck will be on a Corvette suspension so adapters are easy to find.
The base Wilwood kit would be more than sufficient for a build with a budget. I used the SL6R calipers on my track C4 and beat the crap out of it... never let me down. The adapters and mounting hardware come with the Wilwood kits are all top notch.

I could definitely see the argument of going with the various later Corvette parts as well if they meet your needs.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a used 6 piston Wilwood kit 140-8337 with a 220-8338 hose kit off of my 96 track car. Has some scratches, needs one bleeder and one anti-rattle clip. $750 shipped within the lower 48. If interested, I can get some photos.

EDIT...The photo above is the car I now own and those are the brakes I am selling!!!

Last edited by Shrek; 06-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shrek
I have a used 6 piston Wilwood kit 140-8337 with a 220-8338 hose kit off of my 96 track car. Has some scratches, needs one bleeder and one anti-rattle clip. $750 shipped within the lower 48. If interested, I can get some photos.

EDIT...The photo above is the car I now own and those are the brakes I am selling!!!

What did you put on in their place?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO

What did you put on in their place?
Stock Grand Sports!

She's not hard on brakes at all. She ran 8 weekends at VIR last year in her ZR-1 with Carbotechs and cheap rotors. In 8 weekends she used 2-1/2 sets of front pads, 1-1/2 sets of rear pads, 1-1/2 sets of front rotors, and a 1/2 set of rear rotors. When I'm done, the 96 will be considerably lighter than the ZR-1.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

How much life is left in the rotors and pads? What did you use in the rear?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

Stock Grand Sports!

She's not hard on brakes at all. She ran 8 weekends at VIR last year in her ZR-1 with Carbotechs and cheap rotors. In 8 weekends she used 2-1/2 sets of front pads, 1-1/2 sets of rear pads, 1-1/2 sets of front rotors, and a 1/2 set of rear rotors. When I'm done, the 96 will be considerably lighter than the ZR-1.
That's the dilemma. Go with the Grand Sports of Z06, or go aftermarket. The new aftermarket sets cost almost twice a new Z06 4 wheel setup. I could go with the base C6 for just over $1000. I'm not against a used setup if it still has life in it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

How much life is left in the rotors and pads? What did you use in the rear?
Stock rears with track pads.

I just went out to measure the thickness of the rotors and the thickness is great, but they are heat checked. Pads have plenty of life left.

For the calipers, pads, brackets, hats, and hoses, i'll go $550 shipped.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Stock Grand Sports!

That's crazy. With the stock calipers I went through a set of front pads per weekend.

That car with some weight removed will be an absolute BEAST.

For the calipers, pads, brackets, hats, and hoses, i'll go $550 shipped.
Holy crap.

If you need brakes for a C4, that is most likely the best deal you will see for a LOOOOOONG time.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Upgrades for a C4 suspension in '57 Chevy pickup

Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There are plenty of caliper solutions for the front. The rear is where you will have the problem. The 88 through 96 cars had parking brakes that used the main brake caliper. If you are using the rear IFS from one of those cars I am pretty sure you will not find anything but stock C4 calipers that will provide parking brake capability. You can change the 88-96 rears to accept 84-87 brakes which had a parking brake drum inside the rotor and parking brake shoes. There are a number of aftermarket calipers and rotors that might be able to work with that setup. I know that Brembo made a set of 4 piston calipers that did as a friend bought a used kit to install on his 91 C4. The only issue I had with them was they only had a single bleed screw on the outboard caliper half and I couldn't see how they could be bled effectively. He wanted me to help him install the kit but when I told him it was a lot more work than just changing calipers but pulling the knuckles, replacing the parking brake assembly and required some tools I didn't have he decided not to install the kit. If you are interested he may still have it sitting around in his garage and be willing to get rid of it. Since it looks your vehicle is pretty much disassembled anyways it might be easier for you to install this kit on your knuckles. Send me a PM if you want me to ask him.

Bill
Here's a thread on doing a complete front/rear C6 conversion for a C4. Some great information and location of vendors selling all the parts needed to do it.

You can find complete Z06 caliper take offs on FleaBay for pretty cheap. I would personally toss the rotors and get 2-piece versions if you get a set that included them.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Thotfulspot
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Here's a thread on doing a complete front/rear C6 conversion for a C4. Some great information and location of vendors selling all the parts needed to do it.

You can find complete Z06 caliper take offs on FleaBay for pretty cheap. I would personally toss the rotors and get 2-piece versions if you get a set that included them.
Interesting write up about the rears. An E-Brake isn't a big deal to me. I'm running an automatic. I don't know if I've used the E-Brake in my BMW in the past 2 1/2 years since I got it. It would depend on the price if I decided to put one on.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting write up about the rears. An E-Brake isn't a big deal to me. I'm running an automatic. I don't know if I've used the E-Brake in my BMW in the past 2 1/2 years since I got it. It would depend on the price if I decided to put one on.
It all depends on where you are, and how thorough they are when they do a "safety" inspection.

Here they are required to engage the e-brake and attempt to drive it forward. If it rolls it fails the inspection.

You might want to check on that with your local state inspection facilities before you make the decision to dismiss it as unneeded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades for a C4 suspension in '57 Chevy pickup