Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue after cam upgrade???

Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brake issue after cam upgrade???

Just testing a suspicion, could be totally psychotic, err, psychological.

Since my cam upgrade I have been destroying rotors and it feels like the brakes just are not as strong (bite and stopping power) as they used to be. Colemans got toasted in 3-4 days. Calipers were AP CP5555 on 14" Colemans. I went to the Hardbar T1 Kit (DSUNO pads) and the rotors is holding up nice but the brakes still don't feel strong.

The cam upgrade was a smaller 573 lift cam with mild ramp. Heads are GMPP (Lingenfelter), Stock LS6 intake with a 90mm throttle body. Idles like crap, but screams on the track. Roughly 440 rwhp after being tuned by a very reputable shop.

Now the question: Is it possible that the ECU is keeping some throttle applied after I come off the gas quickly, inhibiting engine braking or cancelling it all together? Master cylinder is still stock. Pedal is high and firm.

I will do the obvious experiment of clutching under bake to see if there is a perceived improvement in braking power...but that is still 10 days away.

Like I said earlier...this could all be in my head, I understand that kinetic energy varies as v^2, but the delta in braking performance feels larger than it should be. In the passenger seat of student cars (C6Z, etc.) it feels like their brakes are stronger as well.

Last edited by kmagvette; 06-13-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

big cams can cause some vacuum booster issues. Especially on the road course because their is often not enough vacuum buildup in the booster. However, that is immediately noticable in that the brake pedal will feel less assisted (unusually hard pedal) when there is not enough vacuum.
Otherwise there is no relation to the brakes. Maybe you are just going faster and using them up more.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
big cams can cause some vacuum booster issues. Especially on the road course because their is often not enough vacuum buildup in the booster. However, that is immediately noticable in that the brake pedal will feel less assisted (unusually hard pedal) when there is not enough vacuum.
Otherwise there is no relation to the brakes. Maybe you are just going faster and using them up more.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

It is faster into the braking zones. Read some other posts and see that the check valve can be an issue sometimes, so I grabbed a new one. If all works out well I will have some engine data logging on-board for the next event so my tuner can see exactly what is going on, if anything.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

If it does turn out to be a lack of vacuum you can add a canister for additional supply. Easily done by adding a tee fitting to the big booster hose. The easy option is to allow the car to decelerate for a moment before you apply the brakes which gives it time to build up some vacuum. I used to do that way back when on my first race car which initially had factory style power brakes. Of course it does give up some lap time so it's not the fastest way around the track.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If it does turn out to be a lack of vacuum you can add a canister for additional supply. Easily done by adding a tee fitting to the big booster hose. The easy option is to allow the car to decelerate for a moment before you apply the brakes which gives it time to build up some vacuum. I used to do that way back when on my first race car which initially had factory style power brakes. Of course it does give up some lap time so it's not the fastest way around the track.
I have this same issue....when coming off the ROVAL (at ACS) from 120+MPH to T3 (90 degree left hander) I get a hard pedal. I have a base z51 coupe with Z06 breaks and Carbotech XP12 pads. Also I noticed this issue after my motor was built (heads/cam). Would a new master brake cylinder work? There is no air in the lines...
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I don't think there is anything wrong with your m/c. If this happened as a result of lower vacuum because of your h/c swap then you may just want to try adding a can for more volume.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I don't think there is anything wrong with your m/c. If this happened as a result of lower vacuum because of your h/c swap then you may just want to try adding a can for more volume.
Pardon my lack of knowledge, I'm not very tech savy or familiar with the vacuum system....could you explain what you mean? Do they cyphen air supply or pressurize from the same area?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:09 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Do all h/c/i set ups effect the vacume of a car?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Just testing a suspicion, could be totally psychotic, err, psychological.

Since my cam upgrade I have been destroying rotors and it feels like the brakes just are not as strong (bite and stopping power) as they used to be. Colemans got toasted in 3-4 days. Calipers were AP CP5555 on 14" Colemans. I went to the Hardbar T1 Kit (DSUNO pads) and the rotors is holding up nice but the brakes still don't feel strong.

The cam upgrade was a smaller 573 lift cam with mild ramp. Heads are GMPP (Lingenfelter), Stock LS6 intake with a 90mm throttle body. Idles like crap, but screams on the track. Roughly 440 rwhp after being tuned by a very reputable shop.

Now the question: Is it possible that the ECU is keeping some throttle applied after I come off the gas quickly, inhibiting engine braking or cancelling it all together? Master cylinder is still stock. Pedal is high and firm.

I will do the obvious experiment of clutching under bake to see if there is a perceived improvement in braking power...but that is still 10 days away.

Like I said earlier...this could all be in my head, I understand that kinetic energy varies as v^2, but the delta in braking performance feels larger than it should be. In the passenger seat of student cars (C6Z, etc.) it feels like their brakes are stronger as well.
Cam: I have a very small cam in my LS3 (baby Texas Speed cam) with no vacuum issues. Lift isn't as important (from a vacuum perspective) as duration, overlap, cubic inches and compression. In other words if this is on a 10.0:1, 5.7L with 235 plus duration and a small LSA then yes it probably will have some vacuum issues. Add compression or cubes and the cam is more reasonable.

Brakes: From the sounds of it you went from an AP 6 piston to an AP 4 piston caliper? Why? You went backwards. The AP 4 piston for our cars and a fast driver is not enough; you will have a mushy pedal. Let me guess, your brake pad life is non existent?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

The brake booster on the corvettes is vacuum assisted. When there is not enough vacuum created by the engine the booster may not be consistant if it does not have enough time to build up to the level it needs.
Some the the larger cams with more overlap may have vacuum issues. It all depends on the combination used.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

I forgot about this thread...got busy. The experiment at the track (clutching during braking) did not yield any differential in brake behavior. I did grab an engine data logger (HP Tuners) and was able to isolate the frames where I came off the gas at high speed and transitioned to immediate hard braking. The TPS was reading around 6% where I was expecting it to be closed...no idea if that is an issue...but, per the above, clutching during the hard braking did not yield any improvement in braking behavior. I agree that is would not necessarily change vacuum, but the goal here was to isolate the engine from the driven wheels to see if I was getting any "push" in the braking zone...I am not.

I did notice that things got worse later in the session, ~ 20 min, presumably heat related - duh. Brake fluid is Motul RBF600 and the brakes get a two bottle bleed before track time. At the onset of a longer pedal, it only takes a few turns at lower speed before things come back to normal. I did swap the check valve, cheap, but the old one seemed to be working just fine.

As far as the T1 kit goes, the rotors seem to last as do the brake pads, probably get 6 solid WGI days out of the pads (DSUNO). Because I play at WGI most of the time, I agree that a larger set-up in front will have better heat capacity that what I currently run. Eventually I would like to get to the 14" AP rotors up front with my 6 piston fronts ad move the 4 piston T1 kit to the rear...just waiting for the boat to come in with the rotors/hats. The piston area on the 8350's is very close to that of the 6 piston AP's; however the pad area and volume is reduced.

With the T1 kit I do notice substantial radial taper on the pads as well as the longitudinal taper that I always had. The radial taper I grind out on a disk after each event, longitudinal taper takes care of itself by swapping the pads around on a daily basis.

When all the smoke clears I am not ready to dismiss the notion that it is all in my head (except the softer pedal late into a session).

Last edited by kmagvette; 07-20-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

The brake booster on the corvettes is vacuum assisted. When there is not enough vacuum created by the engine the booster may not be consistant if it does not have enough time to build up to the level it needs.
Some the the larger cams with more overlap may have vacuum issues. It all depends on the combination used.
I'm understanding now....do you have any links or DIY's to fabricating the additional canister? I watched an engineering video on youtube that diagrammed what you were explaining I'm learning slowly but surely. The vacuum issue sounds like it's the culprit 100%. If anyone has a link to making the vacuum assist that would be great.

PS....sorry for the thread jack, but I think this might help you out too
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

No, just cut a vacuum line, install a tee and attach to the additional canister. All you are doing is increasing volume.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have the 12.8" kit I think you just have too much power for the smaller brakes. I have the T1 kit also and make 392whp and feel that I'm at the limit of what they can do. I find myself wanting more brakes at Sebring sometimes but in defense of T1 I'm still running the smaller stock rear calipers too. With your power I would be running a 14" kit with a rear upgrade as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake issue after cam upgrade???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake issue after cam upgrade???