Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst race car sale experience

Old 06-17-2013, 04:47 PM
rmj951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst race car sale experience

This was so painful I had to share.

I have an ex Grand Am body in while car that was FS on this forum along with the NASA racing forum.

Early in May I received a call from a prospective buyers representative from a reputable race shop @ Miller Motor-sports Park. (I wont mention the shop because I believe the customer did them wrong as well) He asked a few questions & asked from more info on the car. After many emails & sending pics & receipts the prospective buyer made an offer through his representative. The negotiations went back & forth for a few weeks & in the end I accepted his offer.

During this whole process I was looking for what I would replace my current car with. I had a pending tire order for my next race weekend i cancelled & put my race plans on hold for this clown.

When I accepted his offer directly from the buyer I told him I would accept his offer only if he could close quickly. He agreed & I sent him an email with a bill of sale & request to wire funds. He replied that he would only wire funds once transportation was arranged. I called Reliable trucking the next morning & got the shipping set up COD thankfully! Once this was done the buyer went MIA & will not return calls or email.

I can’t believe people conduct themselves in this matter.
I have sold a few racecars in the past & never had so much trouble. If you are in the process of selling a racecar to someone in Salt Lake City through a race shop @ MMP beware! PM me & ill give you this clown's info so you don't waste your time like I did.

Last edited by rmj951; 06-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmj951
This was so painful I had to share.

I have an ex Grand Am body in while car that was FS on this forum along with the NASA racing forum.

Early in May I received a call from a prospective buyers representative from a reputable race shop @ Miller Motor-sports Park. (I wont mention the shop because I believe the customer did them wrong as well) He asked a few questions & asked from more info on the car. After many emails & sending pics & receipts the prospective buyer made an offer through his representative. The negotiations went back & forth for a few weeks & in the end I accepted his offer.

During this whole process I was looking for what I would replace my current car with. I had a pending tire order for my next race weekend i cancelled & put my race plans on hold for this clown.

When I accepted his offer directly from the buyer I told him I would accept his offer only if he could close quickly. He agreed & I sent him an email with a bill of sale & request to wire funds. He replied that he would only wire funds once transportation was arraigned. I called Reliable trucking the next morning & got the shipping set up COD thankfully! Once this was done the buyer went MIA & will not return calls or email.

I can’t believe people conduct themselves in this matter.
I have sold a few racecars in the past & never had so much trouble. If you are in the process of selling a racecar to someone in Salt Lake City through a race shop @ MMP beware! PM me & ill give you this clown's info so you don't waste your time like I did.
Sorry to hear of your trouble.........its hard now days to find stand-up people.. I have had similar experience selling items before....people make you jump through hoops because they are unsure of what they want...then when you give them everything... they back-out or disappear...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry to hear of your mess. I just sold a 1995 BMW M3 cross country with no glitches. Just me & the buyer.

FWIW having a third party "negotiator" is a red flag to me.

I guess the high roller people have someone do the "looking" for them, but I like to deal one/one with the buyers if I'm selling.

Same if I'm buying.

When I was looking for my first Vette, I used a guy associated with a buying/selling service. Some of you guys would recognize the company. He showed me a couple of pretty shabby cars that shined up ok. For sure it wasn't my best interests he had in mind.

Commission was what he had at the top of his mind.

Hang in & good luck.

When I am selling something and it's well documented, photographed, etc. and a buyer starts wanting more this and more that I take a pass, I think for some trolls it's a "past time", kicking tires if you know my meaning.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
rmj951
Instructor

Thanks this was a first having the 3rd party involved. I feel like a troll as well I was looking at 2 other cars pending this sale.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmj951
Thanks this was a first having the 3rd party involved. I feel like a troll as well I was looking at 2 other cars pending this sale.
That's not a troll, that's just looking at what's available to buy, no harm in that if you are a serious buyer.

To me a troll is never going to buy anything, he just gets off on making believe he will buy & asking for more details, etc.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, sorry to hear it. Bums me out that it was somebody in SLC - I know a lot of the guys that run in NASA events here, including a few that are on this forum, and they're all stand up guys. Guess there's always bound to be a bad apple.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had people say they loved it and needed directions to the nearest Bank of America so they can take the money out as they didn't bring it with them and they would be right back.
Apperently they fell off the planet on the way there.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously you don't sell stuff on craigslist. Man every other guy is a douche. I once had a guy come put a 200 $ deposit then come ask for it back and then basically threatened me if I didn't give back. I guess he doesn't know what a deposit is. People come and say "oh ill definately buy it but..... (fill in story about wife/girlfriend/kid) or they ask me to hold it.

Now I always put at bottom of ad, "I don't want to be a jerk, but I have to insist until I have money in hand, the car is for sale. Please clear all inquiries with wife before talking to me." I also won't show the car unless banks are open on week days unless I ask them if thry have cash.

I hate dealing with people. Buying is so easy, selling is rediculous. Usually any offer even a little low ball I take it.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy wasnt' from Nigeria, was he? Did he offer to pay double then have you refund the difference so he could get his money into the country?

That's who I get when I sell something.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
rmj951
Instructor

Ha funny no not a Nigerian!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

It does suck selling stuff. Bummer for the OP he found one of the 1% that ruins it for the rest of us 99%
Now I always put at bottom of ad, "I don't want to be a jerk, but I have to insist until I have money in hand, the car is for sale. Please clear all inquiries with wife before talking to me."
Funny, I have been unloading items here and there on CL recently and I put a somewhat similar disclaimer that essentially says show up with the cash and don't waste my time.
When I am selling something and it's well documented, photographed, etc. and a buyer starts wanting more this and more that I take a pass, I think for some trolls it's a "past time", kicking tires if you know my meaning.
Excluding CL sale of random stuff, for a car, I have to admit, I got VERY lucky with my recent purchase of a Carbon from a gentleman in Las Vegas. My bank was a TOTAL pain in the **** but it was the only one I found in CO that would let me buy a car out of state. Others required a "VIN verfication" to be done before the purchase, and while I get why this is for the general population, it has to be performed in CO so that kills any out of state buy. Anyway, due to being locked into a single bank, I ended up having to jump thru hoops AND had to have the seller jump thru some as well. He nearly gave up a couple times but fortunately we got it handled but it took a 4 day period just to close my loan! And BTW, two other banks would have closed on my loan in a day had it not been the VIN glitch. Fortunately I was able to buy the car but there were a few times the seller asked "why do I have to fill this out and email it back?" and all I could say is I have absolutely no idea why and apologize profusely for the inconvenience.

Point is it is hard to weed out the Ahole 1% of "pass timers" as a seller so I too tend to hang in there because the guy, like I was, might be one of the 99% that is just having BS issues getting the funds in place. I was worried that someone would sweep in and buy it while I was getting yet another form filled out and faxed back to my bank
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Congrats on the Carbon, there is one FS in CA now that I found online.

Lucky guy. How many did they make?

Last edited by froggy47; 06-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

3rd party ???????????????????????????
How about, you, buyer & money.

Here's a better story. I went to buy a 2006 car. $25,000.
Seller would not let me take a test driver.
Seller would not let me inspect car.
Seller would not accept cash.
Seller would not accept bank check, or certified check.
Seller would not accept wire transfer.

He would only accept account to account transfer at his bank.
Nice car, he still owns it.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got screwed by a member of this forum ... he got my money and I got his junk he was offering as new. It never amazes me how many people will lie right to your face and not be honest about their intentions. On the other hand there are probably a greater number of people who have no intentions of screwing you over. Just a crap shoot I guess. I always think that what goes around will come around karma is a bitxh sometimes..

Last edited by RaleighSS; 06-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Worst race car sale experience

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst race car sale experience