Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does a cool shirt work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default How well does a cool shirt work?

The team I drive for in Lemons added a cool shirt system to the car this season. I'm thinking I'l shell out $140 for the shirt since our next race is NJMP in August. Just wondering for those who have used them, does it make an hour stint in a race car on a 90 degree day feel like the AC is on under your suit, or does it make the temperature just a little bit more bearable than the 7th Circle of Hell? If it really works I might as well add the system to the Corvette if I already have the shirt.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Works extremely well......
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not regret it!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Best racing money you can ever spend.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Timely question. I need one, in a bad way.

I've held off because a very mixed results in the past. I experienced systems that stopped pumping water, making me even hotter than if I didn't have a system at all. The pumps would stop working after 15 minutes or so.

So what brands are people using with success? What's the key to getting them to last an hour?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you use it, you would shell out $500 for that shirt.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Timely question. I need one, in a bad way.

I've held off because a very mixed results in the past. I experienced systems that stopped pumping water, making me even hotter than if I didn't have a system at all. The pumps would stop working after 15 minutes or so.

So what brands are people using with success? What's the key to getting them to last an hour?
I've had my system in the car for 2 years and the pump works just fine. I run them for about 30 mintues at a time. They are low flow pumps so they should last a while. The pumps are submersible into the box so it's not like they over heat.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have run Cool Suit coolers continuously for 24 hours with zero issues.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM
fcarga
Instructor

The cooler, lines in the shirt and from/to the shirt/cooler have to be kept clean - they can and will plug up with mildew/mold/algea! Also the pumps must be kept under water or they can/will fail. It is a good investment in your health, comfort and safety to have and use a Cool Shirt type setup.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Looking at Momo ADC shirt since it looks a little more wicking than the other ones I'm seeing, and the reviews on the bladder system seem to make sense.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Thanks for the feedback. Looking at Momo ADC shirt since it looks a little more wicking than the other ones I'm seeing, and the reviews on the bladder system seem to make sense.
For a long time it is best to use a block of ice. I have had them last all day. I just freeze some half gallon milk jugs with water, when you get to track cut the plastic milk carton away and add water.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

986 cool system was bought out by Momo...

http://www.momousa.com/store/index.p...o-ice-kit.html
Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

I've used every brand and the 986 is the most consistent, but it isn't the "coldest". It stays the same almost all the time because of the bladders, but if you want the "coldest" shirt, get one of these....

http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page...ries/fa1206-gr

Any shirt set up is only as good as the temperature of the water, so if the water heats up you will also. I haven't used the full 986 system, although I've heard both good and bad things on it.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This past Saturday at NJMP I tried out a Cool Shirt system for the first time and I have to say - why the hell did I wait so long. I've been in hotter weather but with temps around ninety and a bit of humidity it wasn't a picknick out there. Normally in conditions like that I would emerge from a session overheated and pretty much drained and need to sit in the shade and drink fluids for a spell. But no kiddng - I actually felt refreshed stepping out of the car - what a difference. I got the 12 quart cooler and it lasted ok for 30 min sessions. I didn't put as much ice in as I could have and when I returned to the paddock it had all melted - the water was still cool but no ice. For 60 min stints it might be a different story.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Has anyone installed one of the Cool Shirt systems in their daily driver that is used for HPDE/track days? It gets pretty dang hot in Texas. Ran Eagles Canyon this past weekend and it was HOTTTTTTTTT.....have an event there this weekend and it's supposed to be over 100...

How difficult/easy to install? And can it be "uninstalled" should I plan to take a road trip and need the hatch for storage space? Appreciate any/all input! As a side note, my car is tending to spend more time/miles on the track than on the street (this Saturday will be my 3rd track event this month).
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Has anyone installed one of the Cool Shirt systems in their daily driver that is used for HPDE/track days? It gets pretty dang hot in Texas. Ran Eagles Canyon this past weekend and it was HOTTTTTTTTT.....have an event there this weekend and it's supposed to be over 100...

How difficult/easy to install? And can it be "uninstalled" should I plan to take a road trip and need the hatch for storage space? Appreciate any/all input! As a side note, my car is tending to spend more time/miles on the track than on the street (this Saturday will be my 3rd track event this month).
To install it takes two things - you have to wire it to a fused 12v source and you have to mount the cooler somewhere. I wired mine in with a switch on the dash (where the radio use to be) but you could just use a cigarette adapter. As to mounting the cooler - I pulled the passenger seat and attached the cooler to an old seat mount I had - its real solid and easy to take in and out (but you lose the passenger seat during track days). Most guys seem to mount it in the rear but that takes some drilling into the fiberglass and fabing up some mounts.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

agronaut - thank you, appreciate the info! I'm not at the point where I want to start drilling holes in the car...yet...still my sort-of daily driver (but moving towards a track car, still under warranty though, as it's a 2013)...and I'm not "officially" soloed at the tracks I run at (even though I solo quite a bit)...and I still want to have instructors ride along too (as well as the wife, took her out for her 1st session this Saturday and she LOVED it!)...so, the front seat mount is out for me. Maybe I could figure out a way to mount it to (any?) existing holes in the back...

Get notified of new replies

To How well does a cool shirt work?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
agronaut - thank you, appreciate the info! I'm not at the point where I want to start drilling holes in the car...yet...still my sort-of daily driver (but moving towards a track car, still under warranty though, as it's a 2013)...and I'm not "officially" soloed at the tracks I run at (even though I solo quite a bit)...and I still want to have instructors ride along too (as well as the wife, took her out for her 1st session this Saturday and she LOVED it!)...so, the front seat mount is out for me. Maybe I could figure out a way to mount it to (any?) existing holes in the back...
I'm thinking a frame designed to fit where the top would "store" in the back is gonna be the easiest solution.

Haven't looked inside the back of a Z06 in a while...but I'd guess the spot for the top storage mounts to go are still there and/or easy to buy and retrofit into the car.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 06-24-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
I'm thinking a frame designed to fit where the top would "store" in the back is gonna be the easiest solution.

Haven't looked inside the back of a Z06 in a while...but I'd guess the spot for the top storage mounts to go are still there and/or easy to buy and retrofit into the car.
That's an idea, will have to check that out, thank you!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cool shirt........

I have one for my track Miata. I bought the "Cool Shirt" and connectors from the manufacturer, but have a home-made cooler - a simple plastic jug cooler with the spout (drain!) and a boat bilge pump that circulates the water.
1/2 ice, 1/2 water and I'm good to go for about 1/2 hour.
Really does make a difference (when the water first "hits" you, the instant coolness makes you think you've wet yourself! ).

Quick Reply: How well does a cool shirt work?