Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last-Minute Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Last-Minute Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway

Got a late night call from a buddy on Friday night (I was running my wife's Grand Sport at the TX Motor Speedway Friday Night Drags)...he had an open spot for the track on Saturday and did I want to go? The answer was YESSSSSSS!!!! I got home after midnight from TMS and did a quick tech of my Z06 and made sure it was good to go. I just kept the street tires on as I didn't want to deal with changing them out that late at night, figured I needed to get at least 5 hours of sleep to be mentally/physically ready to drive hard.

Got out to the track and it was OURS...with the exception of one formula car and one motorcycle (mixed groups are not run on the track at the same time), although they ran two sessions and were done for the day. We had a Porsche that joined us for a few laps but he ended up having mechanicals and was out for the day. A Caddy CTS V and another vette along with a BMW...and that was it. We had four 30 minutes sessions...which is a LOT in the heat. We could have ran longer if we wanted to, but I've got to tell you, that was MORE than enough. Oil temps would hit 297 after 6-7 hot laps and then I'd kick back and go 6-7/10ths and just focus on the line/smoothness. It has been almost a year since I have ran Eagles Canyon, and this was the first road course that I had ever run. Took me a few laps and I found my groove (also watched my old videos, as well as my instructor's, over and over, it helped!).

We had a blast out there. Our group consisted of:
-2007 Ron Fellow Z06 with some major work (engine, suspension, brakes, etc.)
-1992 ZR1 Callaway
-C5 Mallet Convertible (not sure of the year, car is a BEAST!)
-2013 Z06 (bone stock)

I also "discovered" Harry's Lap Timer (a buddy shared it with me at a previous track day but I had yet to download...didn't have an iPhone mount)...borrowed an iPhone mount...WOW...what a cool app! Love the merge feature where it takes the raw video and overlays you performance data, too cool! I would have ran my GoPro but another buddy borrowed it for AutoX, didn't have any plans to run this past weekend, until that last-minute call...with the Five Star Ford Track Day at Eagles Canyon coming up this Saturday that makes THREE track events in one month, yahoo! Oh, and the first track event was a Saturday/Sunday event, 4 sessions each day for a total of 8. Needless to say, getting new front brakes as I'm typing...LOL...guess I'm becoming a track junkie...gotta keep on getting my fix!

So, back to Harry's Lap Timer, here's a video of one of my better laps, I ran out of memory before my best lap so no video...oh well, next time. Should be faster this weekend as I'll have my Sport Cups on...and hopefully the 5 cones in Turn 10 (from the apex out, to keep us from running over a fresh track patch/repair) will be gone, that really changes up the line LOL!

Oh, that was my wife's first ride with me on a track so I ask her if she's doing OK (we had the "chat" about her keeping quiet while on track, thumbs up/down was only communication from her)...she was all thumbs up, she had a blast too...and she's ALL IN on my track pursuits!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good time for non r comps. What tires did you run?

Get the iOttie windshield mount and you're all set with Harry's Lap Timer. Great deal for $20.

Might also want to get a raditor with oil cooler. I got the Ron Davis. I beat my grand sport to death and oil stays at or below 270 after a session on a hot day.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Thank you, my best time was a 2:04.78 on the OEM Michelin PS2 ZP tires. I know I will go faster once I have more time on the track (practice practice practice) and my Sport Cups on (and no cones on Turn 10 LOL!). I really like the PS2 tires, they seem to be a great-performing street tire that does well on the track.

Appreciate the info on the iOttie mount, where would you recommend as the best local/DFW place to buy, Walmart maybe?

On the oil, I've got the upgraded oil cooler from the ZR1 (as it's a '13 Z06) but more coolers may be better...although I've read that the reason for the updated oil cooler was to get the oil up to temp quicker, so additional cooling would most likely negate that? I don't know. BTW - if you are looking for a track fix this weekend, check out the Five Star Ford Track Day, still space as far as I know, I've got contact info if you want it.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Thank you, my best time was a 2:04.78 on the OEM Michelin PS2 ZP tires. I know I will go faster once I have more time on the track (practice practice practice) and my Sport Cups on (and no cones on Turn 10 LOL!). I really like the PS2 tires, they seem to be a great-performing street tire that does well on the track.

Appreciate the info on the iOttie mount, where would you recommend as the best local/DFW place to buy, Walmart maybe?

On the oil, I've got the upgraded oil cooler from the ZR1 (as it's a '13 Z06) but more coolers may be better...although I've read that the reason for the updated oil cooler was to get the oil up to temp quicker, so additional cooling would most likely negate that? I don't know. BTW - if you are looking for a track fix this weekend, check out the Five Star Ford Track Day, still space as far as I know, I've got contact info if you want it.
I bought my iOttie mount on Amazon. I am guessing a Walmart would have it as well.

Not sure about your oil cooling situation. Someone else may chime in. I know I was hitting 300 oil temps by the end of a session until I put that Ron Davis in.

I went to a Five Star Ford Track day at ECR earlier this year. I think April. I ruined in for them because my corvette was the fastest car on the track I started a thread on that track day a while back with video. I was on Kumho v710 scrubs that were trashed by the end of the day and managed a 1:57.8.

I'm heading out of the country on vacation this weekend so I won't make it. Have fun!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I like to "try before I buy" if possible...my concern with phone mounts is that I am able to mount the phone so I can see the screen (when stopped, of course) and that it can shoot video without any obstruction from the mount. May have to borrow my buddy's mount again, it was a mount that he had done some redneck engineering too, but it works well!

1:57.8 - VERY NICE Mark! Now I've got a target to shoot for! That's moving! I'll search for your video and watch your line and see where I can make improvements. I hear ya about ruining it for them...there were a bunch of Stangs (including a GT500, a few Boss 302 rigs, etc.) in the same group my last HPDE at Cresson. One of them made the comment "it's unfortunate that I'm being passed so much by you."
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Here is the video. I hit a bug right as I start my two fastest laps, but you can still see well enough:

Look at my most recent videos on my youtube channel and you can see how I have the iOttie mounted. That thing is solid. Not going anywhere.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Mark, VERY NICE! The grasshoppers out there are ridiculous!! I see a few areas where you and I differ, not by much, but a little - will do some experimenting this weekend.

OK, so on the iOttie - I see how you have it mounted, looks like you are using it just for a lap timer or do you also use it for video as well?

Another question - different subject - NASA Time Trialing: I see that you are doing this. I see this as a natural progression from HPDE/Track Days, I want to keep doing these but I would like to get into some type of competition...can you share your experiences and how you went about with this? I don't mind the thread hi-jack at all...feel free to start your own thread if you like too. Thank you in advance!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Mark, VERY NICE! The grasshoppers out there are ridiculous!! I see a few areas where you and I differ, not by much, but a little - will do some experimenting this weekend.

OK, so on the iOttie - I see how you have it mounted, looks like you are using it just for a lap timer or do you also use it for video as well?

Another question - different subject - NASA Time Trialing: I see that you are doing this. I see this as a natural progression from HPDE/Track Days, I want to keep doing these but I would like to get into some type of competition...can you share your experiences and how you went about with this? I don't mind the thread hi-jack at all...feel free to start your own thread if you like too. Thank you in advance!
I use Harry's Lap Timer for lap times/data only. I'm using a GoPro camera for separate video.

dave@NasaRockyMountain.com is the regional director for Texas NASA (as well as Rocky Mountain). I have only done NASA Time Trial once, at MSR Cresson in March. I daily drive my car, so I will stick with Cresson and ECR NASA events until I get a truck and turn my car in to more of a track only car. Next local event is ECR in November, but there are others before that. They go to Hallet, Texas World Speedway, MSR Houston, NOLA, MSR Cresson, ECR. Might be others but I think those are on the schedule for this year.

I will definitely go again. Had a ton of fun. If you are new to NASA they will give you a HPDE check ride and if you know what you're doing, they will sign off and let you move to Time Trial. I did 1 HPDE in advanced group and my next 7 sessions that weekend were time trial.

http://www.nasa-tt.com/

Let me know if you have more questions. Glad to help. Just an FYI...if you aren't running R Comps (and specifically Hoosier A6), you can still have fun, but you will not be competitive. R comps will knock many seconds off of your lap times. Plan on dedicated track wheels/tires if you want to be competitive. Otherwise, just focus on having fun.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Mark, appreciate the info! Need to sit down and pick your brain (if you don't mind!) sometime (located in Grapevine).

I do have track wheels/tires (LG Motorsports World Challenge Wheels & Michelin Pilot Sport Cups 295/30/18 front and 345/30/19 rear, heat cycled by Tire Rack). Have only used them for one event, earlier this month at MSR Cresson for TDE. They will be going on Wed/Thurs night of this week and staying on for awhile. My car is my daily driver but it can sit in the garage for however long as I have a Ducati that I ride...and my wife works for me, can always take her vette (which looks just like yours!). Either way, only doing it to have FUN!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

PM sent
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 AM
1BADLS
Racer

Sweet
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I got stuck at work all day on Saturday or I would have made it out there!

Had a blast with those guys this past fall, next time you guys head out I'll try and make it.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

That would be great Anthony! Maybe we can talk you into commandeering the race hauler big rig and stopping by the house to pick us up? Just kidding, sort of LOL!

Thinking about the July 13 open track day at ECR...gotta see how many buddies are up for the heat. Got a buddy that has a new-to-him C5 Z06 that is wanting to do a track day soon...he's down a few autox's and likes that...so, we will see! And then there's Cresson...would like to hit that track again soon too.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

If you go to MSR Cresson, try and find a way to get on the 3.1. Maybe find a member who can have you out, or try to run with APEX on a member day (must be APEX intermediate or Advanced) or sometimes Driver's Edge will run the 3.1. Technical with very few places to take a break, and a ton of fun. IMO by far the best track to develop your skills on. I've run faster every time, which just shows I've still got a lot to learn.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Mark: I like the 3.1, that is a fun track! I ran that with The Driver's Edge back in March of this year...talk about getting lost...I finally learned it! I've ran Cresson for two Driver's Edge weekend events (3.1 and then the 1.7 CW) and then with the Brazos Valley Corvette Club for an afternoon on the 1.7 CCW). I've got a total of 7 track days/weekends and it's split with 3 at MSR and 3 at ECR with 1 at TX Motor Speedway. I've done THREE track events this June alone! What's the record for the most track days/events in one month? LOL...I'm not going to break it in July, taking this weekend off to spend some much needed time on my poor neglected boat, need to burn some ga$! I hear ya about getting better/faster every time, major room for improvement for me, for sure!

Get notified of new replies

To Last-Minute Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway

Quick Reply: Last-Minute Track Day at Eagles Canyon Raceway