Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bama & Raider Great, Corvette owner Kenny "Snake" Stabler Passes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:46 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Bama & Raider Great, Corvette owner Kenny "Snake" Stabler Passes

'Bama & Raider legend Kenny "Snake" Stabler passed away from colon cancer. Snake was a Corvette owner and loved to drive fast. Rumor has it that after his senior year at Alabama a local banker gave him a loan for a new Big Block Vette deferring payment until he got his NFL bonus. Snake loved fast cars, fast boats and of course women.

For me he remains the "coolest" quarterback under fire ever ! Certainly one of the greatest competitors to ever play the game of football. As his former Raider coach John Madden said, " If I had one drive to win a game to this day, and I had a quarterback to pick, I would pick Kenny."

I met him once in Orlando at the old Townsend's Fish House on Michigan. He was standing there alone, when my friend Chip Williams said to me, "Stabler is standing right over there." I thought he was pullin' my leg. But there he was. I made my way over and introduced myself. We had about a twenty minute conversation about Bama Football and Corvette's. He had owned a few Corvette's in his day. I told him that I had bought a 1964 Corvette Convertible that came from Robertsdale, Alabama. The man that sold me the car, stated that the hard top that came with it once belonged to Stabler. I asked Kenny if that could be true. He replied, " did it have black, diamond, tufted headliner? I said, "yes it did." He said, " I know the car, and I did the headliner myself." I later sold the Vette to Chip Williams. He still has it today.

Godspeed Snake and thanks for the memories !
Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Cool story. It's been all over sports talk radio here in the Bay Area. Raiders lost a great ambassador for the team. It's a shame he isn't in the HOF. Better numbers all around compared to Broadway Joe.

Quick Reply: Bama & Raider Great, Corvette owner Kenny "Snake" Stabler Passes