Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 w/Z51 vs C6Z dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default C7 w/Z51 vs C6Z dilemma

Is this even close?

I was planning on my next car to be an 09-12 C6Z but I wondering if this base C7 would be it's equal.

Rev matching tranny, ediff, maybe throw in decent seats?

Prices I am seeing on c6z (used) are still mid 40's to say 75 (Carbon Edition).

That's a bracket right around this c7.

Will the c7 put a lot of down pressure on the c6z prices?

What do you guys say?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a driver or a track car?

C7 for a driver hands down.
I don't like either as a track car. Too many nannies to try and work around.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

It's going to take the aftermarket guys a year to catch up with the C7. So that means you'll be using stock brake pads and trying to find someone to make a harness bar etc....
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by geerookie

Both, but not TT or WTW.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by VatorMan
It's going to take the aftermarket guys a year to catch up with the C7. So that means you'll be using stock brake pads and trying to find someone to make a harness bar etc....
Good points.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I disagree...the C7 development cars are going out, in order to have a strong SEMA showing. Your first run of aftermarket stuff will be out before spring 2014.

I'd go C7 Z51 all day. Warranty, much edgier design, e-diff, new gen MRC, etc. The GS has the C6Z brakes and the Z51 C7 was spankin it at VIR. C7...no question.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Aftermarket parts aren't a factor if a warranty is involved. It seems to be if a C6Z managed to not drop a valve guide, that it'd be the way to go hands down. More power, less weight, and enough refinement. The increase in curb weight might not bother the brochure readers who rant and rave about how it still accelerates, brakes, and handles so well for all of a minute, but it certainly rears its ugly head on track over the course of a 20+ minute session. Since nobody's driven one, there isn't any way to know if the engineers have defied physics with the C7.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

They are a factor...brake pads, lines, etc...are maintenance items, but have track effectiveness. Replacing them also doesn't cost you your warranty.

No one here has driven one, but when I asked Jim Mero which car he'd rather be on a track in, he said C7 all day long. If you don't take his word/experience for it...well...that's just denying the facts in my opinion.

In terms of weight, yes the C6Z has a lower curb weight, but the C7 has a lower cog, far stiffer chassis, far stiffer/more responsive steering system, far less unsprung weight, much better aero, far more advanced suspension, etc. Looking at it from a peak hp/curb weight perspective is purely shallow.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Really I'm looking at it from a high effort car compared to a base model. I haven't read every shred on the car, but my gut was telling me that the suspension would be a little sloppy for the typical old, fat, bald customer. I do remember reading that they were appealing to a younger audience though, so maybe they finally got away from that? Or perhaps I've forgotten that we're talking about a Z51 car here. Is Jim Mero the guy who drove the ZR1 at the Nurburgring? Engineer/driver all in 1? I'm not anti C7, I'm really curious to see how it does. It's disgusting that its cost is about the same as my car was 10 years ago!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

It seems every day I come across a new aspect of the C7 that make's me shake my head & say wow, they (GM) really put some effort into this.

Hollow front and rear cradles? Seriously that is attention to detail.

Are there other production cars, BMW, Porsche, Viper, even Ferrari that have hollow cradles?

Link to a pretty good summary of c7

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/...e_c7_stingray/

Last edited by froggy47; 07-15-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Both, but not TT or WTW.

Then C7 but how are you going to deal with track tires.
I'm struggling with the same thing....thinking of selling my race car and just buying something I can drive to the track.
C7, spherical bearings, small tire trailer and 4 track tires and wheels with sensors.
Still can't bring myself to drive on street tires at the track after all these years of slicks.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Then C7 but how are you going to deal with track tires.
I'm struggling with the same thing....thinking of selling my race car and just buying something I can drive to the track.
C7, spherical bearings, small tire trailer and 4 track tires and wheels with sensors.
Still can't bring myself to drive on street tires at the track after all these years of slicks.
It would have to be a tire trailer. I drive to local autox 50 mi round trip on a6's with no problem, but my home track (Fontana) is 200 round trip. I've done both on a6's but mostly my concern is running over freeway trash. I have cut 2 down in 9 years on the freeway. They deflate FAST, not a blow out, but you can get hung out in the wrong lane pretty easy.

I did a PCA DE on street tires once, it was a hoot, blow by them on the straight & they catch me every corner. Not being able to pull g's in the corner sucks pretty much.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just thinking about this the other day. Although you may not be intending to keep the car stock class legal for autox, the problems I thought of are:

1) C7Z51 still has the narrow front wheels (and only 10" rear wheels for that matter)
2) Very few 20" tires

If you intend to just run different wheels, then that's probably a non-issue and the C7 starts sounding more attractive.

I'm also wondering if the C7 will push the C6Z prices down. As much praise as the C7 is getting in this thread, it might happen. Just takes enough C6Z owners to jump to the C7, putting a surplus of C6Z's on the market.

Dave G.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove a C5Z51. No not on the track but some twisty roads between Danville VA and VIR. with a GM engineer in the right seat.

He was explaining to me how the "track mode" works. and is very adjustable.

If I remember correctly, in track mode:

- quicker throttle response vs touring mode or other modes.
- adjustable TC slip
- adjustable AH
- adjustable differential slip, for corners

several other things too.

the Brakes are Brembo BIG 4 pots front and rear with slotted rotors.
Dry sump with oil cooler
trans cooler, diff cooler
brake cooling ducts.

the rev matching was very nice,

the peddles are bigger and closer together
the stock seats had good bolsters on them.

This one did not have heads up, but the dash was also programmable in track mode.

tach runs on the left over the top
speed is numerical in the lower left
oil temp, and coolant temp in the middle as left to right bar graph.

So some very nice things in the C7 Z51 version

also it has so much torque, that in 7th gear, from 20 mph, the car pulled stronger then most trucks do up to 55. Not that you are going to use it. but it was cool

and when driving down from Mich, in eMode, the were at 31-32 mpg
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
It would have to be a tire trailer. I drive to local autox 50 mi round trip on a6's with no problem, but my home track (Fontana) is 200 round trip.
I have a tire trailer for my C5 Z06 but I don't see where a hitch is going to mount on a C7.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I have a tire trailer for my C5 Z06 but I don't see where a hitch is going to mount on a C7.
Yeah, those pipes.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by talon95
I was just thinking about this the other day. Although you may not be intending to keep the car stock class legal for autox, the problems I thought of are:

1) C7Z51 still has the narrow front wheels (and only 10" rear wheels for that matter)
2) Very few 20" tires

If you intend to just run different wheels, then that's probably a non-issue and the C7 starts sounding more attractive.

I'm also wondering if the C7 will push the C6Z prices down. As much praise as the C7 is getting in this thread, it might happen. Just takes enough C6Z owners to jump to the C7, putting a surplus of C6Z's on the market.

Dave G.
Yes pretty small rim/tire set up, I would put 18's all (if they clear the brakes).

If it pushes the c6z price down enough then my budget will dictate the z.

Funny, I have an automatic query set up for c6z on a couple of the car buy/sell sites and 2 (new) popped up today, too much mileage though.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 w/Z51 vs C6Z dilemma

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean if you like all that electro crap go for the C7. If you like the car blipping the throttle for you and launch control then you will like the C7. I would hope you can turn off the rev-matching mode. Do you want it to steer for you too?

I myself don't like that crap. You might as well get a GTR.

I would hope I have my C6Z to the point that no stock C7 is going to keep up with me by the time they come out.

The c6z has enough electro crap I hate. I'm too far down the road but if I did it over again I'd probably have done a C5Z for half the price.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Better the devil you know than the angel you don't
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

but then again a 427 is ...

Quick Reply: C7 w/Z51 vs C6Z dilemma