Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strapping C6 Z06 to Trailer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Strapping C6 Z06 to Trailer Questions

Towing a C6 Z06 on a 16' trailer.

I see three options for strapping the car down to the trailer:
1. Strap to the wheels
2. strap to axle
3. strap using t-bar inserts to jack points

- Is there one method that is safer or 'better' than the other?

- I noticed some people cross the straps. What is the advantage of this? Necessary?

After my own research it seems that strapping to the Wheel or Axle is better than strapping to the frame so that I'm not compressing the suspension. It looks like this may be a great package to get the job done: http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/262/ProPacks

Any thoughts are welcome!! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is always an advantage in paying $260 for what can be done for $75.

The factory uses the T-hooks ... good enough for me.

16' is pretty short too.

X prevents lateral movement.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl

16' is pretty short too.

There's virtually no suspension compression w/ the t-hooks due to tie down points being in front and behind the car.

I have a 16' trailer and like he said, it's too short.

Jim
Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl

16' is pretty short too.

I've used t-hooks on my open trailers and thought they were great. Just note that you'll have to have some long(ish) straps to reach the mount locations (although on a 16ft you may not, lol). I did this for many years on my 16ft trailer and never had a problem.

Now that I have an enclosed and my car is super low, I simply use "axle straps" through the wheels. I've been doing this for a few years now as well and never had a problem either.

to each his own.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlutherva

There's virtually no suspension compression w/ the t-hooks due to tie down points being in front and behind the car.

I have a 16' trailer and like he said, it's too short.

Jim
Too short? The car fits on the trailer fine.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I've done axles many times, but recently went to through the wheels and haven't had any issues, and its a lot easier than axles.....

**EDIT**- You can get the setup in your link from ebay for about $75 or less.....

Last edited by UrbanKnight; 07-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I've done axles many times, but recently went to through the wheels and haven't had any issues, and its a lot easier than axles.....

**EDIT**- You can get the setup in your link from ebay for about $75 or less.....
Do you have a link from eBay you can send me that you are talking about?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with my T-hooks so far on my open trailer. I stop a couple miles out to check the straps are tight, and I'm good to go.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Here you go
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=200440762142
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Well, yes, but I would really like to have more space in front of the car to make it easier to tie down as well as having space for a tire rack and gas cans. I could solve the tire issue w/ a fancy rack but that would complicate the tie down process even more.

With all that said, I'm not selling my 16 footer to move up; I'll just deal with it. However, if faced with a decision to BUY a new open trailer, I would absolutely go for the 18 ft over 16.

Jim
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've found the T-Hooks work well and are easy to use on both my C5 & C6.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I use All-Grip T-hook straps as opposed to a separate hook/strap like I usually see. Works like a champ.

EDIT: 2nd down on this page.

http://www.all-grip.com/index.php?s=29&t=1

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 07-20-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: I called and spoke with the experts over at Mac Custom Tie Downs and they highly recommended against crossing X the straps when securing the car down for the following 2 reasons:

If one strap for some reason breaks or becomes severed in the crossed strap setup then
1. You now have one strap with tension that is pulling the car sideways off of the car
2. You now have one end of the car with zero tension holding the car from moving forward/backward

Whereas if you had a straight non-crossed tie down setup and a strap breaks the 3 remaining straps are all still securely holding the car.

As far as lateral movement on the trailer they told me that is very rare and not a concern with a wooden deck trailer. If you have a slick metal deck then it would maybe be a slight concern and in that case you should use a separate solution to prevent that lateral movement.

Last edited by dapopa9; 07-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:36 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

UPDATE: I called and spoke with the experts over at Mac Custom Tie Downs and they highly recommended against crossing X the straps when securing the car down for the following 2 reasons:

If one strap for some reason breaks or becomes severed in the crossed strap setup then
1. You now have one strap with tension that is pulling the car sideways off of the car
2. You now have one end of the car with zero tension holding the car from moving forward/backward

Whereas if you had a straight non-crossed tie down setup and a strap breaks the 3 remaining straps are all still securely holding the car.

As far as lateral movement on the trailer they told me that is very rare and not a concern with a wooden deck trailer. If you have a slick metal deck then it would maybe be a slight concern and in that case you should use a separate solution to prevent that lateral movement.

Interesting. First time I have heard not to cross them.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I tow with a 16 ft trailer and it fits just fine. Have a tire rack in front with a mud guard across the front of the rack. Car sits about a foot away from front of trailer.

I have tied mine down two ways. The first way was to use chains to fasten the rear T hooks to the trailer. I would drive on the trailer and attach the rear T hooks then drive forward until they were tight, set the parking brake and fasten two 2 inch wide ratchet straps to T hooks in front and tie both rathect straps to a chain going through a mount on the tongue of the trailer. That way I could tighten the car against the rear T hooks using the straps. This worked fine on my C4 and two C5s since I could move the cars around on the trailer to get the rear chains tight. The C6Z is so wide I can't jockey the car around on the trailer and once it is on it is pretty much where it is going to be with only an inch of spare room from side to side. Thus I added tie downs to the trailer and do it like a lot of others. The straps can't get to the D rings on the same side of the trailer (car tires are in the way) so they have to cross to the other side of the trailer.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Strapping C6 Z06 to Trailer Questions

Quick Reply: Strapping C6 Z06 to Trailer Questions