Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 oil cooler take off block opinions?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 oil cooler take off block opinions?

What are the pros/cons of each? Just the blocks, I'm not buying a whole kit.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it was the Doug Rippie kit that allowed you to reinstall the oil temp sensor without having to splice in an extension to the sensor wiring. A big plus in my book.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM
geerookie
Drifting

The ECS one works well also.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=161

Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I have posted on this before a few years ago. The DRM one is the best because they all basically do the same thing but the DRM one is more user friendly on install. It is better thought out to make your life easy like all of his products. 100% thought out with 100% well done execution
Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Most all I've seen look to be very similar in terms of what they do. I have a pfadt block on mine and it does the job well. The offset/taller ones will make getting a wrench in there to work the connections much easier. The only two I know of that are of that type are the above ECS and the Katech. It looks like the ECS samples the oil temp after the cooler and the Katech before. Personally, I prefer to sample the oil at it's highest temp. That being said, if the oil temp. sender will be plugged into the take off block I would prefer the Katech. I believe the DRM and the TPIS blocks install the temp. probe on the side. That may make it a bit tighter if long tube headers are used.
The other thing, which is minor, is the angle of the hose ends used. My pfadt, and other similar blocks (lingenfelter/dewitts, TPIS, DRM, etc.) seem to package best with 90* hose ends. The ECS looks to work best with 45* hose ends. Katech looks as though a 45* on the bottom and 90* on top will work best. Ideally, more straight the fitting, the better it will flow and less chance of cavitation, but for something like this it's not that big a deal. One needs to use whatever packages the best.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I used the Lingenfelter, but would recommend the ECS or similar. The ECS uses a regular bolt to attach whereas the LF and some of the others use those allen wrench head bolts. It is pretty cramped up in there, especially with the hoses attached and trying to get allen wrench in there was extremely difficult.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM
racer313g
Instructor

I decided to go with the DRM that should be arriving today. Can't wait to get the cooler on to see what kind of difference it makes.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by racer313g
I decided to go with the DRM that should be arriving today. Can't wait to get the cooler on to see what kind of difference it makes.
Somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
racer313g
Instructor

Overall, the DRM block is a very nice piece. There are no additional oil ports for those of you looking to feed turbos etc. The only other issue I saw was with the included -10AN fittings. I didn't take a picture but they had a pretty significant step transition in them that I drilled out to improve the flow.

Pics:

Get notified of new replies

To C5 oil cooler take off block opinions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 oil cooler take off block opinions?