Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running a "STO" Corvette in GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Running a "STO" Corvette in GT2

With the runoffs in my backyard next year, I am thinking seriously of finishing the car off in "STO" trim to be eligible for GT2. I originally built the car to be close to STO so that I could sell it to an STO competitor someday...hehe...how did THAT work out!

Of course now, the rules state you can run an STO prepped car in GT2, but I can't find the STO rules anywhere anymore to see where I comply/don't comply. Looking to get in contact with someone who has done this in a Corvette to see where I need work. Any input or contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at appendix K in the GCR!somehwere around page 225, nowhere near the GT2 rules.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! Maybe I should look further in the "table of contents" that is pages long...hehe.

After a quick look, I should be close.

Bodywork Stock tubs and doors with the rest World Challenge bodywork....should be good.

Chassis Stock A Arms and uprights. Penske remote coil overs and T1 style sways....looks good.

Interior Only problem would be the dash. I know STO required a "stock" dash. I also know most Corvette guys just put in the World Challenge "shell" or fake dash. I also heard from some that the dash thing was often over looked and not important. In terms of GT2 I would think a dash would be even less important. Any thoughts?

Engine and Drivetrain Stock LS7 block and intake. There are some internals and other stuff to look at however. The rear is all stock based Rockland Standard Gear stuff...so should be good.

Tires and Wheels Looks unlimited in size and type as long as they fit in bodywork....should be good.

Pondering....
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can actually run drop spindles and change geometry.

Fakey dash should be gine.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Good question Randy. I'd be interested in going this route just to run at the Runoffs if it's not too difficult to make my car fit into STO rules.

Get notified of new replies

To Running a "STO" Corvette in GT2

Quick Reply: Running a "STO" Corvette in GT2