Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nurburgring help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nurburgring help

Am going to Germany in Oct and will go to the Ring. Looking for pointers on taking a taxi ride, renting a race car or just driving my rental car a couple laps.

What has been your experiences? What was the most fun and entertaining? what would you do different?

thanks,
Ed
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Z06trackman

PM Z06trackman, he's been there a dozen times and has rented rides and had a blast.. He knows all the in's and out's.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there end of May this year. I had my own car this time, but I did rent a RenaultSport Clio with RSR a few years ago, which was great. If you can, go on a real track day, not one of the tourist days, as they can get a bit hairy with traffic and the track gets closed regularly when cars/bikes crash (they do, often).

There are other outfits such as rentracecar or others which may be better priced. I think RSR offers a free lap with a pro driver with a certain amount of rental laps. Check out their website, the info is all there, and contact somebody local so they can give you some pointers.

While you're there, you should also try to attend a track day at Spa-Francorchamps, this is an unbelievable track as well and is not very far away. You could also visit Cologne, which is also very close.

In October, weather could be tricky in that region.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

I was just at a track day at the Ring about a week ago.

You want to go on a track day & not a public day.

Rented a BMW M3RS race car via Rent4Ring.de

They were excellent & are 1 km from track, there are hotels walking distance.

I'm trying to go back for next track date, I think its Sept 23.

I flew into Frankfurt & rented a sweet M5 from Hertz. Its about 2 hrs South of the Ring, easy trip w GPS

I found a Vette expert up the street also. Seriously considering buying a C6R Z06 & leaving it there as my track toy

Let me know if you want to go together Sept 23. There are 2 more track days Oct 14 & 31

& if you are single I know a fun place to meet friendly ladies

Here's my album http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...013-36031.html

Last edited by Mjolitor 68; 08-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solofast, thanks for the plug, but I have been there only 6 times and I have about 60 laps under my belt - however, I will be there again in September for two this year.

Without a doubt the most fun and entertaining is to rent a car that has been prepped for the track. There are several places in Nurburg that rent track ready cars. I have always used RSR Nurburg, and the last two times, and my next time, I rented a Clio RS. This is a great car, and it is the cheapest they rent. Even in the summer, if you go on a weekend that has only one tourist day, it isn't too crowded these days (it used to be worse) October should not be crowded. Be there ready to run when the track opens. If the track is dry you can get 3 or 4 laps in before the crowd and then the wrecks begin. Don't drive back to back laps; take some time to relax and walk around the parking lot ogling cars between the laps. When I was there in early May, I drove 12 laps even though I rented a mountain bike for 4 hours in the middle of the day (also great fun, and a wonderful way to look at and learn the track via a trail that runs adjacent to much of it). The afternoons typically have the most crashes; you can sometimes see three per lap.

Do not run your regular rental on the track. Even if you drive it gently, you will fade the brakes and be worried. My first visit was with a 1.4 Golf from Avis (not a paragon of power), and even driving it gently I boiled the fluid before the lap was complete.

DO drive about a million laps on GT5 or Forza4 and learn the track before you go. THEN drive your first few real laps like you don't know which way it goes before you lean on it. Don't be like those you will find in the Armco.

The Ring will change your life - have fun!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. Haven't firmed a travel plan, so will work around the Oct 14th day. Bringing the wife so thanks for the offer.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:42 AM
03 True Blue
Intermediate

I am planning a trip there end of September. My dates are not very flexible. Looks like I will be there Sept 29 - Oct 1. My only full day would be Sept 30. How much of an issue is is that there are no "track" days. Are the tourist days boring? I will be calling RSR this week to talk to them about the different options. Any tips for a first timer to check out the track?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Originally Posted by 03 True Blue
I am planning a trip there end of September. My dates are not very flexible. Looks like I will be there Sept 29 - Oct 1. My only full day would be Sept 30. How much of an issue is is that there are no "track" days. Are the tourist days boring? I will be calling RSR this week to talk to them about the different options. Any tips for a first timer to check out the track?
Tourist days not boring, you just have to be more careful with all the weird traffic, and you get less track time since there are accidents all the time.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also rented a Clio with RSR.

That is the way to go driving your rental car is not a good idea. You can get banned from Hertz etc. and you will have no insurance.

Tim
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
I also rented a Clio with RSR.

That is the way to go driving your rental car is not a good idea. You can get banned from Hertz etc. and you will have no insurance.

Tim

almost true, if you rent car far from Nurburgring then there is no mentioning of not driving on Nurburgring.
during public days its a toll road, one way street where all traffic regulations are enforced.
so if you crash and you have not done any stupid kamikaze driving, then your fine.
that said i would also rent a purpose track toy from RSR or Rent4ring

ejoy green Heaven, there is nothing equal on this planet

rune

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring help

Quick Reply: Nurburgring help