Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIR, MN Track School

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BIR, MN Track School

I am wondering if anyone has driven the BIR track school in MN using their race cars? I have a gift card to use my own car but for only $30 more I can beat up on their purpose built race car. I think the savings in tires and wear alone make up the $30 and then I have no chance to wreck and be totally F'ed on my car repairs. Any thoughts?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Spec fords are great little race cars. Slow in the straights and fast in the corners. They are hugely underpowered, but the light weight make it fun.

Randy
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's what I don't get (because I have never done this yet) It is $325 for some class room stuff and 25 mins in a spec car. Then you can use your car the rest of the time? Because it looks like it is $295 for ALL DAY with your own car. What is all day? If anyone has done these and can let me know how it works that would be awesome. thanks

link to there price guide:
http://birperformance.com/skins/defa...dule-lr-v1.pdf

Last edited by amlarson2001; 08-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM
2004CorvetteZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys~
The BIR Performance Driving School webpage isn't loading as I type this, so I won't be able to quote you specific prices in my answer, but I should be able to clear up the confusion.

The $295 (plus tax) to use your own vehicle "all day" covers classroom instruction, and you will run with the novice rungroup with an instructor. You trade off track time with run groups throughout the day. Many times you will be on the track for 25 minutes, then off for at least 30 minutes to an hour before your group goes again. You can expect 4-6 sessions that day as a novice driver. Many trackday organizations open the track up the last two hours for anyone from any rungroup to run... open track. Be out there as much or little as you would like. (I highly suggest sticking to 25 on/ 25 off to let your car cool down.) I don't recall if the driving school did that, or maintained their rungroup schedule. I've been to a few of these the past two years.

The one session in a Ford Spec racer is just that, one 25 minute session. You DO NOT get to drive your own car after that. Registering all day with your car, and adding a Ford Spec Session is an additional cost ($5-600 total?). All Day in a Ford Spec Racer is like $1500-1800. It gets really expensive really fast. You can also pay to do like 4 laps with an instructor driving in an exotic like a Lambo... thats like $160.

So, the difference is for about $300 you get 2-3 hours of track time in your own car. For about $300 you get 25 minutes in a Ford Spec Racer.

Drive your own car. Learn to drive it like it was meant to be. It makes you a better driver on the street. It's fun. You'll get bitten by the bug and want to do it again and again anyways. If you just want one 25 minute race car experience, go ahead with the Ford Spec racer. But you're going to want to do this more. Trust me.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW thanks for the clarification. If you have a Corvette or other sports car it would almost seem stupid to me to pay that much for a 25 min session with the spec car. Of course I do have track rims and tires and am ready to go even though I haven't gone yet. I know when I do this some time it will be with my Z. Thanks

I think there is even two events a year that are for the corvette club.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM
2004CorvetteZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amlarson2001
WOW thanks for the clarification. If you have a Corvette or other sports car it would almost seem stupid to me to pay that much for a 25 min session with the spec car. Of course I do have track rims and tires and am ready to go even though I haven't gone yet. I know when I do this some time it will be with my Z. Thanks

I think there is even two events a year that are for the corvette club.
Yes, I run twice a year with my Corvette Club:

Suburban Corvettes of Minnesota
http://suburbancorvettesofminnesota.com/track/

We'll be doing the 3.1 mile Donnybrook Roadcourse on September 16th. Non-members and non-Corvettes are welcomed... come have some fun everyone!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes more sense. I have a $300 gift card and BIR said for another $30 I can upgrade to the spec car instead of mine. I did not know the track time was so different which totally changes the game. If it were the same time I would probably do the spec car as insurance does not cover you on track! But not $330 for one session in the spec car, that is pointless.

Get notified of new replies

To BIR, MN Track School

Quick Reply: BIR, MN Track School