Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z wheels on C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Mike hoppe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5Z wheels on C6Z

Would like to put my rear C5Z wheels on my C6Z and need to fill up the space that the narrower wheel leaves. I know that the rim is 1 1/2" narrower than the stock rim but need to know if a 1 1/2" spacer is correct due to the back spacing difference, or if not, what size do I need?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Good question. Also interested to find out how much performance is left on the table by running the more narrow tires? Would you feel a measurable difference if you ran those wheels on all four corners (with the spacers)?

From a tech standpoint I would imagin the spacer 'ratio' you mentioned would be accurate....but I'm no expert

Certainly a cheaper option for track day combo
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weldcraftwheels.com can widen your wheels to 12".
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Nick

Give them a call. I visited their shop a couple of years ago and it is a class operation.

Bill
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I can't imagine putting 10.5 wide rims on the back of a c6z. Is that what you are saying? How wide are the stock c6z rear rims?

Don't cripple the car for a few bucks. Put the correct rim/tire on it.

It's 100 hp over a c5z. Seriously.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I can't imagine putting 10.5 wide rims on the back of a c6z. Is that what you are saying? How wide are the stock c6z rear rims?

Don't cripple the car for a few bucks. Put the correct rim/tire on it.

It's 100 hp over a c5z. Seriously.

Cripple? Really? 850 HP NASCAR Sprint Cup Cars run 9.5" rim width. Lots of guys run slicks for HPDE's and that level of grip on a 10.5" rim far exceeds any street tire on a 12.5" rim. The question to me would be getting the car handling balanced F/R with a bone stock suspension and 10.5's all the way around. The OP did not specify what else was done to the car.

Last edited by ZedO6; 08-17-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZedO6

Cripple? Really? 850 HP NASCAR Sprint Cup Cars run 9.5" rim width. Lots of guys run slicks for HPDE's and that level of grip on a 10.5" rim far exceeds any street tire on a 12.5" rim. The question to me would be getting the car handling balanced F/R with a bone stock suspension and 10.5's all the way around. The OP did not specify what else was done to the car.
Well those NASCAR tires are probably not what OP is putting on those rims, as you probably know, they are custom tires for each corner basically.

Rim size is per rules.

I'll stick with my opinion, it's a bad idea.

Everyone entitled to do whatever they want to their car.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Nick
The problem is that it will be widened inboard. The C6Z's fenders are wider so they're more outboard. In addition to widening the C5Z wheels to 12" you'll have to add a big spacer to push them back out to anything close to the offset of the stock C6Z wheel.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I looked into it, only inside.

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The problem is that it will be widened inboard. The C6Z's fenders are wider so they're more outboard. In addition to widening the C5Z wheels to 12" you'll have to add a big spacer to push them back out to anything close to the offset of the stock C6Z wheel.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Well those NASCAR tires are probably not what OP is putting on those rims, as you probably know, they are custom tires for each corner basically.

Rim size is per rules.

I'll stick with my opinion, it's a bad idea.

Everyone entitled to do whatever they want to their car.

You missed my point...R comps on 10.5" C5Z rims offer more grip than street tires on 12's, so more grip on narrow rims/tires does not "cripple" the car as you suggest.

Many track their C6Z's on OEM and similar street tires. Using that as a base grip level, 10.5" R comps offer several levels of improved grip and to answer the OP, can work should he decide to go this route and address the offset issue with spacers and longer studs.

Opinions, unsupported with fact...well you know what people say about opinions...
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
froggy47
Race Director

You missed my point...R comps on 10.5" C5Z rims offer more grip than street tires on 12's, so more grip on narrow rims/tires does not "cripple" the car as you suggest.

Many track their C6Z's on OEM and similar street tires. Using that as a base grip level, 10.5" R comps offer several levels of improved grip and to answer the OP, can work should he decide to go this route and address the offset issue with spacers and longer studs.

Opinions, unsupported with fact...well you know what people say about opinions...
I get your point & maybe cripple is too strong. I have run multiple tires on multiple size rims on my c5z and instructed (driven) several 500hp c6z's with stock tires and with 710's on stock c6z rims, and with 710's on wider rims, and A6's, also the same with a c6 Grand Sport that my friend let me compete in when mine was broken. So I don't know if that's factual enough for you or not.

Do you have driving experience in a c6z on c5z rims and race rubber?

Or is your opinion based on something else.

Please post your experience, car, rim size, tire that qualifies your opinion.

My own personal opinion based on my actual in car driving experience is it's a bad idea.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-19-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

I get your point & maybe cripple is too strong. I have run multiple tires on multiple size rims on my c5z and instructed (driven) several 500hp c6z's with stock tires and with 710's on stock c6z rims, and with 710's on wider rims, also the same with a c6 Grand Sport that my friend let me compete in when mine was broken. So I don't know if that's factual enough for you or not.

IMO bad idea.

Do you have driving experience in a c6z on c5z rims and race rubber?

Or is your opinion based on something else.

Please post your experience that qualifies your opinion.

My own personal opinion based on my actual in car driving experience is it's a bad idea.

Sidetracking this tread into a pissing contest like so many of your other "contributions" to this forum should end now. I won't play anymore. If you have driven a C6Z on C5Z rears, that was the fact you should have offered in post 5 and not 6 posts later "when you remembered":
Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Sidetracking this tread into a pissing contest like so many of your other "contributions" to this forum should end now. I won't play anymore. If you have driven a C6Z on C5Z rears, that was the fact you should have offered in post 5 and not 6 posts later "when you remembered":
I'm not pissed, just trying to save the OP an expensive mistake.

I'm not sure what "other" threads I turned into a pissing contest, as you say, or what your problem is with my contributions.

Let's say we just block each other & call it a day.

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

Here ya go, you are on my ignore list, you are only the 2nd person I felt it necessary add, have a great day.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 PM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to bump an old thread but i am actually looking for C5 rims for my C6. I am pretty sure the C5z rims wouldnt work as you mentioned because they wouldnt clear your front rotors. Any update on these? I have the larger Z51 brakes and I am trying to see if C5 18" will go all around because i am confident the 17" front wont clear the calipers.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z wheels on C6Z

Quick Reply: C5Z wheels on C6Z