Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Sports 1 Replacing Speed? Not so fast...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Fox Sports 1 Replacing Speed? Not so fast...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...rint-cup-speed

Looks like those of us with DirectTV, Dish, or Time Warner Cable may not see the racing that was on SPEED and supposed to be on Fox Sports 1...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above carriers need to tell Fox/ NewsCorp to pound sand. Changing the name warrants a 300%+ change in fees? Seriously?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wasn't expecting the racing that I watch (Grand Am, Continental, ALMS) to make it to FS1, anyway. The only thing we need less than more (any) NASCAR coverage is more NFL, NBA, and Golf shows.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I wasn't expecting the racing that I watch (Grand Am, Continental, ALMS) to make it to FS1, anyway.
What we need is another college football show
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
"Is that sarcasm?"
- Sheldon Cooper

Z//
Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

They actually announed this past weekend that the USCR and Cont. Challenge would be on FS1 and FS2 as a 5 year contract.

I can see the phased-in increase in rates since it will now carry soccer, college football, etc... Which will undoubtedly draw hire ratings then sports car racing, Pink Slips, or Barret Jackson.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you forgot ufc too...

btw the last road course race to be televised on Speed will be road atlanta on thurs at 9:00pm

also interesting - 3:00am sat theyre showing history of hte scca with sam posey
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fox1 will be covering MotoGp this weekend at Indy. That's a step in the right direction but I'll be there.....
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Greed will eventually be their undoing but they will be so rich in the end it will only hurt the viewers and advertisers. They raise the cost and assuming the carriers give in they will put the channel in a higher package group to recoup the cost and add their percentage of extra profit. The end result is fewer people will receive the channel. Fewer people will mean less advertising benefit. Some viewers will become disenfranchised and drop the carrier altogether. Millions of people have kicked cable and satellite to the curb already and that number is growing every day.

I dumped them a couple of years back and could not be happier. Between the free over the air broadcast, Netflix, and the internet I get all the entertainment I need and don't spend the extra $60 to $100 per month. No more elevated volume on commercials and no more PPV UFC commercials when you least expect them.

Why do you think ESPN put racing on ABC this past weekend? They need the viewership!

Last edited by Han Solo; 08-13-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

So much NASCAR crap on SPEED anymore not really gonna miss all that much. And as long as my international soccer stays on Fox Soccer Channel (FSC), can't imagine much will be on the new Fox Sports 1 channel that I'm just gonna die without.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
It would be nice to have 1 college football show on a major network that wasn't 75% human interest stories.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
They actually announed this past weekend that the USCR and Cont. Challenge would be on FS1 and FS2 as a 5 year contract.
Wow, if that's the case then I (not sarcastically) am thrilled. I actually would prefer another college football show to the rest of the crap on speed. I was home sick a few weeks ago and tried watching some of the drivel (two guys garage, Gearz, etc) and it was painful; that crap can all go the way of the dodo.

I do loves me some NFL football, but only from 1:00pm to midnight on poor weather sundays. My rhetorical question of the day is "who the hell has time to watch all that other crap?" Aren't they fixing their Corvettes for the next race?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Fox ruined the channel and chased their core viewers away. Once NASCAR popularity started dropping the viewership dropped and they started getting desperate. Now we have another ESPN wantabe which will fail even quicker.

Bill
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

NBC is the next one which will be raising their rates to the cable companies. Besides their contracts with Indycar and F1, they just agreed to a huge contract with NASCAR.

The extra money they paid up for the NASCAR contract didn't seem to make sense to me. Especially when you consider that attendance and ratings, have been declining, and both ESPN and TNT, declined to bid for the NASCAR programming.

Wow, if that's the case then I (not sarcastically) am thrilled. I actually would prefer another college football show to the rest of the crap on speed. I was home sick a few weeks ago and tried watching some of the drivel (two guys garage, Gearz, etc) and it was painful; that crap can all go the way of the dodo.
Here's the story on the IMSA/United SportsCar Racing deal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/12/c...al-fox-sports/
Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Thanks for the link. Any news on what happens to the rest of this season in Grand Am and Continental? I did a search for "Rolex" and "Grand Am" now that FS1 is on the air and nothing came up...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

They played the rolex sports car race from kansas yesterday. Im not sure why only the grand am website shows it on their schedule and fs1 doesnt...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Originally Posted by el es tu
They played the rolex sports car race from kansas yesterday. Im not sure why only the grand am website shows it on their schedule and fs1 doesnt...
They actually showed it live on FS2 (formerly Fuel) on Saturday.

Get notified of new replies

To Fox Sports 1 Replacing Speed? Not so fast...

Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
They actually showed it live on FS2 (formerly Fuel) on Saturday.
Brutal weekend for watching in CT. CableVision carries FS1 but not 2 so could not watch Continental race @ Road America. On Sunday cable went out for last 40 minutes of Rolex race.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

My Dtv autorecorded the Kansas race for me. Searching for the next ones revealed nothing. When's the next scheduled race? I'm afraid to go to the website because I still am in the middle of RA and don't want to accidentally see who won the last two...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

My Dtv autorecorded the Kansas race for me. Searching for the next ones revealed nothing. When's the next scheduled race? I'm afraid to go to the website because I still am in the middle of RA and don't want to accidentally see who won the last two...
http://www.grand-am.com/scheduleresults/rolex.aspx

laguna seca sept 8 at 5pm on fs1

lime rock (time and channel not announced)

Quick Reply: Fox Sports 1 Replacing Speed? Not so fast...