Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 or Fast, which intake is better for ST2 racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default LS3 or Fast, which intake is better for ST2 racing

Looking at intakes. Have an LS6, but have heard the LS3's flow better, then wondered about going to a fast intake. Love to hear your thoughts. Jerry
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not the LS6 intake? Do you need more top end power? FWIW I'm running a bone stock LS6 engine in my ST2 car that is 10 years old and still running. All I've done is refreshed the valvesprings and lifters 2 times. It's taken me from the street to auto-x to my first track day all the way to w2w. We'll see if it's competitive at nasa nationals in a couple weeks or if I get my *** handed to me by mustangs and vettes with torquer engines.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
Looking at intakes. Have an LS6, but have heard the LS3's flow better, then wondered about going to a fast intake. Love to hear your thoughts. Jerry
On an ls2 or earlier, go with a tpis 90mm tb upgraded ls6 over anything else. On an LS3 (bigger bore) go with an ls3 intake up to 520ish rwhp, then go with lsx102 but even then have low expectations.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You cannot use an LS3 on a cathedral port.
LS3 is better than FAST LS3. full stop.

Have not seen reliable numbers to support the TPIS claims/anecdotes. In theory, putting a 90mm TB on an LS6 intake should not do much. I'd go with an LSX92 or 102 - when all is said an done you are out of pocket the same and the LSX has a proven history (not to mention rock solid resale value).
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Why not the LS6 intake? Do you need more top end power? FWIW I'm running a bone stock LS6 engine in my ST2 car that is 10 years old and still running. All I've done is refreshed the valvesprings and lifters 2 times. It's taken me from the street to auto-x to my first track day all the way to w2w. We'll see if it's competitive at nasa nationals in a couple weeks or if I get my *** handed to me by mustangs and vettes with torquer engines.
Been doing this for about 3 years and have the following observation, HP makes noise torque makes wins. Looking at increseing torque on my car. Compete against car with same HP but much greater torque and all I can describe is the rear of the car.

Last edited by JohnAlley; 08-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

On the Trans Am 2 Camaro's, many of which are Katech LS3, they are using the truck manifold as it develops more torque.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Been doing this for about 3 years and have the following observation, HP makes noise torque makes wins. Looking at increseing torque on my car. Compete against car with smae HP but much greater torque and all I can describe is the rear of the car.
That's interesting. I haven't experienced that yet, but I guess I'll find out at Miller.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Just found out I can't run an ls3 intake on ls6 heads. Ports dont work together. It was a nice discussion though. Thanks to all. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 or Fast, which intake is better for ST2 racing

Quick Reply: LS3 or Fast, which intake is better for ST2 racing