Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and clutch recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Transmission and clutch recommendation

Car is an SCCA T2 c5. Often, but not always, I get a grind going into first gear. Happens sometimes from a start but every time I would try for first while the car is moving. Sometimes going into reverse I get it as well, but then it is more of a thunk. The car has 18k on it and at least the last 2k have been track only miles. I generally start in 2nd and rarely use reverse so I have lived with it for a year now. This winter I am considering a new clutch, remote bleeder and having the trans rebuilt. I am thinking about a stock LS6 clutch and a stock rebuilt transmission from an experienced place like Rockland Standard Gear. Looking for confirmation that this is a good approach or recommendations for alternatives. Driveline is stock from the paper filter to the exhaust tips.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds like the slave is starting to go. As for a clutch, I would consider the Exedy Twin disc or one of the other racing clutches available. I have been running the Exedy I have been running the Exedy for 5 years and love it. JD
Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Car is an SCCA T2 c5. Often, but not always, I get a grind going into first gear. Happens sometimes from a start but every time I would try for first while the car is moving. Sometimes going into reverse I get it as well, but then it is more of a thunk. The car has 18k on it and at least the last 2k have been track only miles. I generally start in 2nd and rarely use reverse so I have lived with it for a year now. This winter I am considering a new clutch, remote bleeder and having the trans rebuilt. I am thinking about a stock LS6 clutch and a stock rebuilt transmission from an experienced place like Rockland Standard Gear. Looking for confirmation that this is a good approach or recommendations for alternatives. Driveline is stock from the paper filter to the exhaust tips.

Thanks
are you keeping it in T2 spec rules?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by drivinhard
are you keeping it in T2 spec rules?
Yes, I would like to.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Yes, I would like to.
not many options likely then, don't you pretty much have to run an OEM gearbox (M12) and stock GM clutch?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission and clutch recommendation

Quick Reply: Transmission and clutch recommendation