Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My VIR Video Study Guide

Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default My VIR Video Study Guide

Merged a video of my best lap with Mark Nunnally's posted 2:02 lap. Used RaceRender to re-align the cars and measure the gaps along the way.

Besides the difference in driver skills, my car is not a T1 car and I'm not on A6s either. It's a daily driver on R6s that classes NASA TT3 (374rwhp and 3350lbs with the +0.05 adjustment makes 9.0lbs/hp.) I'd be willing to bet Nunnally could do a 2:05 in my car.

Left channel audio is my car. Right channel audio is Nunnally's if you want to isolate on something.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That's pretty cool how you did the comparison. In watching it though based on the video it doesn't seem like you're 6 seconds behind. You almost look neck and neck with him. Cool vid.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to try the 245 tire thing just to see what it did, pretty big drop off in braking and turn in grip. The experiment "worked" because of the give-back you got for running small tires (run the car lighter, closer ratio gearbox, much better power to weight - something around 8:1 actual, 8.7 adjusted). It was pretty fast in a straight line, but it was not a very good all around set-up.

Looking forward to this Oct

Last edited by drivinhard; 09-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
That's pretty cool how you did the comparison. In watching it though based on the video it doesn't seem like you're 6 seconds behind. You almost look neck and neck with him. Cool vid.
After each segment I re-aligned the videos using RaceRender's synchronization tool and tallied up how much time I lost. So at the end I am within a second, but have already advanced my video by more than five seconds total.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I had to try the 245 tire thing just to see what it did, pretty big drop off in braking and turn in grip. The experiment "worked" because of the give-back you got for running small tires (run the car lighter, closer ratio gearbox, much better power to weight - something around 8:1 actual, 8.7 adjusted). It was pretty fast in a straight line, but it was not a very good all around set-up.

Looking forward to this Oct
245s in front or on the rears too?

I don't know if 245s could be stretched beyond their spec'd rim widths to even fit on my wheels -- hell the C6 base coupe non-GS non-Z06 stock rear wheels are outside Hoosier's recommended widths.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
245s in front or on the rears too?

I don't know if 245s could be stretched beyond their spec'd rim widths to even fit on my wheels -- hell the C6 base coupe non-GS non-Z06 stock rear wheels are outside Hoosier's recommended widths.
245/40/17 on C5Z front 17x9.5" wheels
245/40/18 on base C5 rears 18x9.5". Fit is about like a 275/18 on a 10.5" wheel
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

When I watched the clip there was some kind of voice track overlaid occasionally, was that intentional?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
When I watched the clip there was some kind of voice track overlaid occasionally, was that intentional?
Sound clips from the 1979 movie Alien to go with the tally of lost time. Thought it might stress the futility in the comparison to a better driver. Guess not LOL!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

are you running in TT w/ NASA in Oct?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drivinhard
are you running in TT w/ NASA in Oct?
I've considered it, but have never run with NASA so I'm not sure what hurdles I'd have to clear. I have an active TT license with COMSCC and the amb transponder. Dyno sheet is years old but I haven't touched the motor so my HP numbers shouldn't be a problem other than getting them taken somewhere. Had the car corner weighted last year so the weights should be good too.

What would be the next step? Do I call the MidAtlantic guys to find out how to clear these hurdles or the SouthEast guys since I live in NC?

Thanks, Bert
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I've considered it, but have never run with NASA so I'm not sure what hurdles I'd have to clear. I have an active TT license with COMSCC and the amb transponder. Dyno sheet is years old but I haven't touched the motor so my HP numbers shouldn't be a problem other than getting them taken somewhere. Had the car corner weighted last year so the weights should be good too.

What would be the next step? Do I call the MidAtlantic guys to find out how to clear these hurdles or the SouthEast guys since I live in NC?

Thanks, Bert
email this guy: jfelton@drivenasa.com

Get notified of new replies

To My VIR Video Study Guide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My VIR Video Study Guide