Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 LT1 motor in a Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default 2014 LT1 motor in a Land Cruiser

Sorry no pics guys.

I was parking my Z06 at the gym and this guy comes over and asks me a couple of questions about it, but what he really wanted was to take out his iphone and show me some pics of his project. A late model 4x4 Land Cruiser with a new LT1 motor.

He says he got it from a friend who works for GM. Says that GM sells off the development motors to employees when they are done with them. I suppose there must be hundreds of these motors (if not more) that never go into a car.

Paid 5k for the motor. I am sure he easily has 100k in the project. We talked about some technical aspects & he was knowledgeble about it but he had fabricators do most of the work.

Has some aux gas tanks from AU that put his total gallons of gas up to 80. Being a CA registered car he had to go to a "referee" for smog certification.

Specially built tranny & drive train. Has the snorkel for crossing streams and such, but very stock looking otherwise.

We used to call these "sleepers".

Try to catch one or pull away from one on the freeway & you end up shaking your head trying to figure out what's going on.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm. i grew up outside of detroit.. my experience is that the big three sold off nada. pretty much everything and anything was marked for destruction when testing / engineering was finished.... including the cars.

now whether or not the stuff actually gets destroyed...............
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by henryr
hmmm. i grew up outside of detroit.. my experience is that the big three sold off nada. pretty much everything and anything was marked for destruction when testing / engineering was finished.... including the cars.

now whether or not the stuff actually gets destroyed...............
Well that's what I thought too. But he implied it was some kind of program, thing, all I saw was a small iphone pic, but if I see it for real I will know, there are a lot of pics I've seen of the motor.

Maybe they figured make a few bucks on the motors?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

My first thought is he got one from one of the already wrecked C7s.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Heck, around where I live here in North Carolina, it never surprises me what might be in a car/truck/SUV next to me at a stoplight. The skills of some of these guys are otherworldly.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 LT1 motor in a Land Cruiser

Quick Reply: 2014 LT1 motor in a Land Cruiser