Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct 6 Point Belt Install Advice

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Correct 6 Point Belt Install Advice

I recently had some Caravaggio race seats installed by a local race shop. I was told they have done several installs of this seat with C6s so rather than get picky on the mounts etc I let them choose. I am using 6 point belts and a shark bar. They ordered and installed the vetteworks mount that spans across the floor between the front seat tracks:

They currently have both the clamps for the 2 anti-sub belts passing through the eye hook then over the support bar that houses the motor under the seat, then through the seat cushion. The straps do have some separation coming out of the seat, but I thought that the front mount is better suited to the single 5 point sub belt. When I try to move the passenger seat forward, it cannot pass over the bolt unless the seat is elevated, but the seat already causes the passenger to sit fairly high so that is not ideal either.

Vetteworks makes a specific mount that provides mounting points for lap and 6 point mounting belts:

This looks to be a more correct setup, and the bolts should not get in the way, either.

It would seem that at least based on this setup pic from Simpson that the vetteworks mount for the 6 point setup puts the mounting spot for the anti-subs a little too far back... Is the separation of the anti-sub belts or the position of the anchoring spots for them more important? Would an extender from the anti-sub eye hooks to the anti-sub belts be helpful/needed?

Before I switch to the other mount, does anyone have experience with either using the 5 point mount with both belts connected to it, or the second 6 point mount that vetteworks makes? I know there are custom setups people have used but I would think these ready-made solutions would be more convenient.

Thanks; Happy Labor Day everybody
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think mounting both straps of a 6 point to a single center mount could work but you'd basically have a 5 point as far as comfort goes. And I believe be the vetteworks 5 point mount should be bolted to the rear bolts not the front.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The anti-sub belts need to be placed where the belt mfg tells you to anchor them, not where the maker of the anchor device decides to mount them.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be asking the shop that did the install to put the correct mounting hardware.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I'd be asking the shop that did the install to put the correct mounting hardware.
I hear ya, that's why I posted to see what hardware (preferably ready-made if possible) others have used so I can suggest what I want instead of the current setup.

Last edited by vette ruminator; 09-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Either of the mounts you have pictured will mount to the rear 2 seat bolts, not the front. If you have a single eyebolt, you have turned a six point into a five point as others have said. Keep in mind that if your seat does not allow the shoulder straps to pass through the seat, you are putting yourself at risk.

I have used the Vetteworks 6 point mount and they work flawlessly.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by taken19
Either of the mounts you have pictured will mount to the rear 2 seat bolts, not the front. If you have a single eyebolt, you have turned a six point into a five point as others have said. Keep in mind that if your seat does not allow the shoulder straps to pass through the seat, you are putting yourself at risk.

I have used the Vetteworks 6 point mount and they work flawlessly.
It is a true racing seat with pass throughs for the belts. I am 5'6" and I sit pretty close to heel/toe correctly. It almost seems that using the mount for the 6 points with the sub mounts to the rear would be the most proper orientation. Do you use your 6 pt mount across the front or rear bolts?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I used them across the rear bolts.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Every belt manufacturer uses the same diagram. You do not want to stray from the setup shown. One of the things that I have learned from Joe Marko who is an expert in installing restraint systems is you do not want any part of the seat changing the path between the belt mounting point and where the buckle fastens to the rest of the harness. Whatever deflects the belt path becomes part of the restraint system and when push comes to shove it will be subjected to extremely large forces. If it fails or moves at that point in time your restraints will extend right when you want them to stay put. If the sub belt has to pass over the seat motor and bar those items will either cut the belt or deflect when the belt has a force applied to it. Remember we are talking about forces that reach multiple thousands of pounds over a very short time period.

Bill
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Caravaggio seat + 6pt and Sharkbar, and use this mount:
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
I have a Caravaggio seat + 6pt and Sharkbar, and use this mount:
That is the mount I will likely use. Do you have it mounted as in the pic I have in my first post or some other way? Do you think the anti-sub belts are mounted too far back with the anchors that far back or is that correct?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Every belt manufacturer uses the same diagram. You do not want to stray from the setup shown. One of the things that I have learned from Joe Marko who is an expert in installing restraint systems is you do not want any part of the seat changing the path between the belt mounting point and where the buckle fastens to the rest of the harness. Whatever deflects the belt path becomes part of the restraint system and when push comes to shove it will be subjected to extremely large forces. If it fails or moves at that point in time your restraints will extend right when you want them to stay put. If the sub belt has to pass over the seat motor and bar those items will either cut the belt or deflect when the belt has a force applied to it. Remember we are talking about forces that reach multiple thousands of pounds over a very short time period.

Bill
At the very least I will re-route them so they are not over the motor but I think a better mount is needed as in my other posts.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct 6 Point Belt Install Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Correct 6 Point Belt Install Advice