Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY diff cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY diff cooler?

Anyone ever do a DIY diff cooler? First event this past weekend after a complete rebuild. Hitting 300 on the diff but trans is fine at 230. Pocono FUSA so it was tough on both, lots of shifting and the whole back section is like a second gear autocross.

Was thinking some type of scavenge pump, with a cooler/fan combo. Pull/return from the drain/fill plugs or tap the diff case?

Looks like assembling the parts myself will cost 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the popular kits.

Thanks,
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Anyone ever do a DIY diff cooler? First event this past weekend after a complete rebuild. Hitting 300 on the diff but trans is fine at 230. Pocono FUSA so it was tough on both, lots of shifting and the whole back section is like a second gear autocross.

Was thinking some type of scavenge pump, with a cooler/fan combo. Pull/return from the drain/fill plugs or tap the diff case?

Looks like assembling the parts myself will cost 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the popular kits.

Thanks,
If you are going DIY, may as well copy something that works. Like the DRM system. I'm pretty sure most kits use fittings for the drain and fill plugs, and call it even.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done it on my track car which uses a C5 diff. It's pretty straight forward as far as the fittings go. The drain and fill are the same thread, I believe they are 20mm. Summit/Jegs carries the metric to AN fittings, hoses, pumps, and fluid coolers. The only tricky part is mounting the pump and coolers and wiring it up.

Ken
Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the metric to AN fittings from Mocal along with the metal/rubber washers for the fill/drain holes. These are odd items, but they have something that will work.
I have my diff cooler triggered of a thermoswitch - depending on the weight of diff fluid you use, you may overwork the diff pump when the fluid is cold.
If you cut the AN lines with a 3" electric cut off wheel ($20 Harbor Freight item), you can probably avoid buying the Khoul Tool.
-6AN lines are plenty. Mocal has high quality hose and fittings and they are very reasonably priced. I would not go any cheaper than those and def avoid Summit/Jeg/no-name items. Red Horse also makes good, inexpensive fittings.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Many don't know this, but even on our full kit you can get some of the pieces to put your own together. You can get just the drive assemblies, in either a single or dual stage pump if you want both trans and diff or just diff.

Not sure how you wanted to run the system, either mechanical or electrical but if you wanted to go mechanical and do most of the work I can get you the bare basics you would need.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Many don't know this, but even on our full kit you can get some of the pieces to put your own together. You can get just the drive assemblies, in either a single or dual stage pump if you want both trans and diff or just diff.

Not sure how you wanted to run the system, either mechanical or electrical but if you wanted to go mechanical and do most of the work I can get you the bare basics you would need.
Anthony, After trying to install one of your kits this weekend, I can tell you that instructions are worth their weight in gold. That is to say, for a kit as expensive as yours, you should provide them It would have saved lots of time/effort.

That being said, I'm SUPER envious of the quality of the parts in your kit. That Pinion nut, pump, and cover are quality pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY diff cooler?

Quick Reply: DIY diff cooler?