Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Comp mode reduce under steer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does Comp mode reduce under steer?

When I did my runs in the autocross last weekend, I experimented running in Comp mode and with the nannies on. It seemed like the Z tended to under steer more with the nannies on vs when I had it in Comp mode. Things were happening pretty fast, so I could be wrong. Is this correct or was it my imagination?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tested the AH settings a good bit (C6 not C5) on AX runs. I found with the nanny on, when you put the car into a situation with a lot of understeer going on, your time won't be as bad as with the nanny off. (Meaning - you've already screwed up your run, but the nanny helps you recover with less total damage to the clock.) The car starts applying brakes and reducing power much faster than the driver can react, so you can get the car back underneath you much quicker.

I also found that with open, high speed courses, it was faster with the nanny on because you have more turns where you are more likely to get into an understeer situation and the car starts correcting sooner than the driver. On tight courses with slower speeds where you really need to force the car to rotate, it's faster with comp mode or the nanny completely turned off.

For minor oversteer conditions, there doesn't seem to be an advantage either way. For major oversteer conditions, it might help you from spinning the car, but certainly not always will. (Street tires maybe have a better chance of not spinning, but not with R Comp's.)

My $0.02. YMMV....
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cone Racer!

Get notified of new replies

To Does Comp mode reduce under steer?

Quick Reply: Does Comp mode reduce under steer?