Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C6 Transmission Problem

I was on the track yesterday at AMP and when I tried to downshift to 2nd gear....got nothing. No grinding or anything like that. I was able to get into 5th I think and motored around to the pits without having to stop on track. Once on pit lane I could get into the other gears but the shift lever does not have the spring alignment to the 3/4 gate like it used to (everything about the shift lever movement now feels very loose and sloppy). I pulled the console off thinking the problem might be the shift lever assembly but now I realize there isn't any spring in that. Any ideas on what else to check before pulling the trans?

2005 coupe. Ex T1 car, so the engine trans/diff is still stock.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you may have broke the track ball that guides the shift gates. Check out this thread, posts 10 and 15.

They will help you find where to check to see if this is it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html
Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you very much for the info. I hope to get back to AMP this week and I'll check that.
Thanks again,
Keith
Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by geerookie
Sounds like you may have broke the track ball that guides the shift gates. Check out this thread, posts 10 and 15.

They will help you find where to check to see if this is it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html
Got the car up on a lift today and pulled the plug with the spring and ball out from the top right side of the trans. Ball was still in place with the spring behind it. Still no spring action to align with the 3-4 shift gate.

Looks like a trans rebuild or possibly switch to Z06 TR6060 trans and Diff. I've tried to hunt down a thread covering it but haven't found it so I'll ask here:

Will the Z06 Trans/Diff from 2006 -08 fit the 2005 C6 cradle, torque tube as well as the axles or is it a more involved upgrade and I have to buy those parts as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by btlgrd
Got the car up on a lift today and pulled the plug with the spring and ball out from the top right side of the trans. Ball was still in place with the spring behind it. Still no spring action to align with the 3-4 shift gate.

Looks like a trans rebuild or possibly switch to Z06 TR6060 trans and Diff. I've tried to hunt down a thread covering it but haven't found it so I'll ask here:

Will the Z06 Trans/Diff from 2006 -08 fit the 2005 C6 cradle, torque tube as well as the axles or is it a more involved upgrade and I have to buy those parts as well.
Check with Mike.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...errerid=203822
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I talked to Johnny Miller this week and like geerookie he thought the problem was with that box on the top of the transmission. So maybe I didn't quite understand what geerookie was trying to tell me.

I took the panel out over the top of the transmission. Took the top off the box and the pin that locates the arms that press against the 'ball on a spring thing' had backed out as shown in the photo. I put another 35 cent pin in and was able to run at AMP with the Hooked on Driving group yesterday.

That's about as good an outcome as a person could expect with a transmission problem
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Transmission Problem

Quick Reply: C6 Transmission Problem