Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST3(2) C5Z06 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great video, great finish
Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM
flink
Racer

hoooo boy I bet you came in with a big smile after that one. Great video, thanks - watched and enjoyed every moment!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is Tiffany's making special for "her" for all the updates and support?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
So what is Tiffany's making special for "her" for all the updates and support?

You know my wife and you know we went WAY beyond Tiffany's jewelry this year to even the score on race car upgrades. If you add receipts, the race car was cheap in comparison! LOL.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Over beers Friday afternoon, we decided to make a change to the rear wing. While I had never gotten to drive the car in anger on a dry track, Rob and Jim both felt that the car was a little loose on braking and turn in when the track was dry and driven hard. Taking that feedback, we added some angle in the rear wing to see how it would feel for me in the racing on Saturday and Sunday.

By 8:35am on Saturday, we had the radiator installed, distilled water and water wetter added, system burped and everything checked out. I jumped into my race suit while my wife and Jim prepped the car and as I was heading out for the first practice session for Thunder group, they were releasing cars from the grid. Barely made it! Again in ST2 trim, the car felt extremely good. And the extra wing angle on the rear had it planted under braking and turn it. I may have lost a hair off the top end, but not enough to worry about.

During that warm-up session, I went three wide under the bridge and dropped my right front off into a pothole at the entrance to the racer's pitroad. Immediately the front end started vibrating and I knew I either killed a tire, bent a wheel, or worse. I limped the car to the T5 crossover exit and got out. The tire was still inflated, so I hoped it was only a bent wheel. I limped it through the infield roads back to the pits without any damage to the splitter. Once we pulled the wheel off, we could easily see it was now egg shaped. That settled what tires I was going to run for the races. Sticker A6s. Or rain tires. The clouds were looming and I was undecided on what to do until the last second.

The rain held off and I qualified 4th out of 7 in ST2 behind three VERY fast drivers. In qualifying, I ran a lap over a second faster than I ever ran in PTA and I knew there were several more seconds in the car without traffic. The braking and throttle-on points were different than the previous setup and it was going to take more laps to get accustomed to the new speeds.

During the Saturday race, I ran one of the hardest, most fun races in a long, long time. Matt and I battled for 3rd place from the beginning while dicing in and out of traffic all race long. I will let the videos tell the story, but I can tell you it was a LOT of fun and I am very happy with the 4th place finish. Also during the race, I dropped another full second of my fastest time ever. Again, in traffic.

Grid for the Thunder Race:

Thunder Race video:

http://youtu.be/Jr_NphgRw6k

Save at the checkered flag. If you stop the video at the 0:38 mark, you will see that I am 45* to the track surface and pointed directly at my wife on the pit wall. As soon as the car was under control, she keyed the radio and said something like, "Great show for the finish!" LOL.

http://youtu.be/QKYgzc1mcRI
awesome video and save
Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
awesome video and save

Thanks!

T12 and I just do not see eye-to-eye anymore. I had another off there a couple of weeks ago and tore the front splitter completely off the car. Much less dramatic than the off back in December with the tank slapper, but much more costly.

The plan was to run Time Trials and shake down the new MTI-valved Penske Double Adjustable Coilovers and some cooling changes. The first green flag lap of the first session of Saturday, the rear of the car twitched in the bump at the apex of T12 and I went wide left.

We pulled the rear wing off and kept running the car naked all weekend to test the new coilovers, but without the aero it was pretty much a wasted weekend. David Farmer softened the rear dampening a couple of clicks Sunday morning after driving it and the car settled down a bit.

The video has zero sound, but if you turn up your volume all the way you can hear the crunch when the splitter left the car. That is Mark Nunnally right behind me.

-Kevin

Last edited by brkntrxn; 08-16-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Officially my favorite thread, so far. I'd love to see footage of the finish-save from outside the car!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by yow
Officially my favorite thread, so far. I'd love to see footage of the finish-save from outside the car!
Thanks. I'd like to see outside video as well but no one caught it.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 PM
oviz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
David corner balanced and aligned the car Monday and I had it back home by Monday evening. I have a few things to do and it will be ready for Watkins Glen the 27-29th.

I have the PFadt Featherlights coilovers. I'm going to replace the original, rubber control arm bushings with polyurethane. How much difference will that make on the track? ALso, what alignment specs did you use? I track my 2004 Z06 a lot at Laguna, Sonoma and Thunderhill. What wheels and tires are you running?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

As awesome as it would be to go faster, I really appreciate that I have very little to lose when I leave the luxury of pavement. If you're not in the dirt, you're not trying!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by oviz06
I have the PFadt Featherlights coilovers. I'm going to replace the original, rubber control arm bushings with polyurethane. How much difference will that make on the track? ALso, what alignment specs did you use? I track my 2004 Z06 a lot at Laguna, Sonoma and Thunderhill. What wheels and tires are you running?
Rubber bushings vs poly --- time wise, I have no idea but you will feel a difference in the feedback and responsiveness of the car at turn-in and transitions. I went from OEM rubber, leafs, and shocks to sphericals and Pfadt coil overs and it was night and day. I now have Penske Coilovers.

Alignment - max on all four corners. Although, we may pull some camber out of the fronts for 2015 due to the new Penske's.

Tires and wheels -- C5Z06 rears on all four corners with Hoosier As or Rs depending on race length and weather.

-Kevin
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
As awesome as it would be to go faster, I really appreciate that I have very little to lose when I leave the luxury of pavement. If you're not in the dirt, you're not trying!

I completely agree.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

As a cross post, you can go to this thread and read Post #4 for the East Coast Championship write-up and results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-updates.html

Quick Reply: ST3(2) C5Z06 Build