Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 & 5-PT Harness

Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 PM
irieman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z06 & 5-PT Harness

As I'm getting back into HPDE's with my Z I was going to just use my stock 3 point factory belts for this year and install 6pt systems for next year. I can understand that a 6pt system is technically better than a 5pt system, but the more I do research and read the forums it seems installing a 6pt system with stock seats isn't the most easiest and/or the most technically correct process.

I'm going to install Vetteworks Sharkbar and their Lap Belt Bar which will also hold the sub-belts on a 6pt harness system. I don't like the fact that the sub-belts have to reach so far back to attach to a solid point, so now I'm thinking about installing 5pt systems and using vetteworks specific 5pt sub-belt mount. Without seeing the 5pt mount firsthand I think the geometry will be way better than the 6pt mount.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll also take suggestions on Harness systems/manufactures, too. I'm leaning towards Schroth Profi III-5.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
xsspd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a schroth 6pt system in my C6 with the guidance from the experts at HMS Motorsports. I installed their harness grommets in the stock seat and used their profi formula 6 point harness system. I choose the sharkbar because it's mounted a little lower and provides a better Angie for the shoulder belts. I used the hardbar lap sub belt mount to fasten the harnes belts. I also choose the Hans shoulder belt and used a Hans.

I can tell you from experience that this system worked flawlessly because it was unfortunately tested after a brake line failed while traveling at over 150mph. I can honestly say that system saved my life.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
irieman
Racer

Originally Posted by xsspd
I installed a schroth 6pt system in my C6 with the guidance from the experts at HMS Motorsports. I installed their harness grommets in the stock seat and used their profi formula 6 point harness system. I choose the sharkbar because it's mounted a little lower and provides a better Angie for the shoulder belts. I used the hardbar lap sub belt mount to fasten the harnes belts. I also choose the Hans shoulder belt and used a Hans.

I can tell you from experience that this system worked flawlessly because it was unfortunately tested after a brake line failed while traveling at over 150mph. I can honestly say that system saved my life.
SPD...WOW!!!....I hate to say, but this is the type of testimony that I needed to hear. Did the sharkbar survive the accident? Did the subbelts sustain "any" damage from the seat motor(etc) located underneath the seat?

My other concern is that I'm a bigger guy and I'm worried that the 6pt would be uncomfortable compared to a 5pt. I was comfortable with the Simpson 5pt system in my Mustang.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM
xsspd
Racer

Comfort will come with seat time. It was a little weird for me at first but got very comfortable with the setup in just a few runs.

There was NO damage to any of the equipment. The electronic seat still works, belts look perfect as do the eyelets, grommets and other parts.

Please remember however, my collision was not side impact. In a side impact your body and head will move violently from side to side. To solve this I purchased a NASCAR Butler Built full containment seat and will use the 6 pt formula harness. I had a NASCAR fabricator make a bracket that bolts right into the stock seat bolts. Seat swap takes just minutes and provides me the piece of mind that I am now protected in almost any angle of impact.

Best wishes!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM
xsspd
Racer

Originally Posted by irieman
Did the subbelts sustain "any" damage from the seat motor(etc) located underneath the seat?
You actually sit on the 2 sub belts in a formula type belt. They route between the back and bottom portion of seat and mount directly to the lap/sub belt. There is no interference with any of the belts. Check out the Schroth site for installation guidelines and you will see how it works.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by irieman
SPD...WOW!!!....I hate to say, but this is the type of testimony that I needed to hear. Did the sharkbar survive the accident? Did the subbelts sustain "any" damage from the seat motor(etc) located underneath the seat?

My other concern is that I'm a bigger guy and I'm worried that the 6pt would be uncomfortable compared to a 5pt. I was comfortable with the Simpson 5pt system in my Mustang.
The sub belts don't run under the seat as there is no way get them through the seat bottom without compromising the springs under the seat. They run under your body similar to how a jet pilot would wear his harness. They pass through the gap between the seat bottom and the seat back to mount to the bar in the rear of the seat. Whatever you do, don't run them over the front of the seat as that defeats the purpose of the sub belt which is to counteract the upward force of the shoulder belts on the lap belt. The sub belt pulls the lap belt down and keeps it in position on your pelvis. Mounting the sub belts to the front of the seat rails pulls the lap belt away from your body and also involves the soft seat cushion which means you can never get a hard mount for them. It would be better to run without sub belts if your choice is to mount them in the front of the seat.

As xsspd did you should call Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports and get his opinion. He is a recognized safety expert who works with NASCAR cup teams, BMW CCA, PCA and other groups that sanction wheel to wheel racing and HPDEs. Also the Schroth belts are great belts although I believe their FIA versions are not available as pull ups which is sort of necessary in a Vette.

By the way you have to be careful installing pull up belts as the adjusters can release if they are catching on a seat pass through or edge. If you are in an incident and the adjuster is catching that way the sudden pull can cause the mechanism to release and all of a sudden you have lots of slack in the lap belt. The pull downs operate in the exact opposite direction so don't pose that threat. With my race seats I have the pull up adjusters inside the seat and several inches above the pass throughs so they can't catch on the edge.

Bill
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 AM
irieman
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Also the Schroth belts are great belts although I believe their FIA versions are not available as pull ups which is sort of necessary in a Vette.
Bill,

Are you saying pull-ups in a Vette are more of an issue if you have a race seat installed, because I'll be using stock seats for the first couple of years.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that why pull up types are not FIA rated?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM
irieman
Racer

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Is that why pull up types are not FIA rated?
When I talked to HMS yesterday they stated that the lap-belt in the FIA rated Profi-II is reversible, so it's both a pull-up and a pull-down.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
xsspd
Racer

I also forgot to mention that is used fix lap and sub belts. There are not adjustable by design. I set my memory seat so that I would buckle up then press memory button to a more forward seat position which snug me up tighter than you can imagine. From there I could pull shoulder belts super tight too.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 & 5-PT Harness

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Z06 & 5-PT Harness