Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day this past weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Dagget427
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default First track day this past weekend.

So I took my pretty much stock 2000 6sp to New York Safety Track in Davenport NY ( upstate ) this past Saturday for my first track day. The track just opened this year and is a 2.2 mile road course. I may be a newbie, but I gotta say this track was fantastic. The only problem is now I've been bit by the "race bug". I've been reading every article in the "autocross / road-racing" forum, and started making my wish list for upgrades for the Vette already. Has anybody here been to this track, or even knew it was out there?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have heard about the track and it looks interesting. I also would like to hear others opinions on the track and facility in general. Going to try to run a combo with this track and the Glen next year in one trip since it is about 9 hours driving time from me.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagget427
So I took my pretty much stock 2000 6sp to New York Safety Track in Davenport NY ( upstate ) this past Saturday for my first track day. The track just opened this year and is a 2.2 mile road course. I may be a newbie, but I gotta say this track was fantastic. The only problem is now I've been bit by the "race bug". I've been reading every article in the "autocross / road-racing" forum, and started making my wish list for upgrades for the Vette already. Has anybody here been to this track, or even knew it was out there?
Was discussing it at the BMW Club event at the Glen on the 22nd. I have seen a few of the videos. One of the Instructors had driven it in a competition and has worked with the owners making suggestions on how to improve the track. Basically, the conclusion is they have a lot of work to do. There isn't sufficient run off room (trees are too close to the track) and the track is setup more for motorcycles Vs cars so the number of passing zones is limited.

Since you are in Afton I suggest you look into signing up for the spring HPDEs at Watkins Glen. Try Trackmasters spring Novice school which is usually the last Saturday and Sunday of April. They won't have their dates yet but here is the web page info: https://www.trackmasters.com/Home.aspx , NASA-NE which usually is the Monday and Tuesday after Trackmasters: http://www.nasane.com/ or the GVC-BMW CCA HPDE that is usually scheduled for the following weekend. There is usually a Ferrari Club event on Wed/Thur between NASA and the BMW Club http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/ so if you wanted you could go Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat and Sun and do 8 track days almost in a row. Trackmasters and NASA register students through their own web pages while the BMW Club uses http://www.motorsportreg.com/

I am moving out of the area within the next month so won't be instructing at those schools next year but they all have great instructors and you will be driving on a World Class track. It will let you see how a Corvette can perform with some high speed sweeping turns and long straights where you can really wind it out.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-02-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Dagget427
Advanced

Thanks for the info Bill. The track is definitely geared towards motorcycles, and passing was limited, but for a beginner like myself, it was great. I had booked a "member track day", so the number of cars on the track was limited, and I never felt crowded on the track. By the end of the day, I had clocked 91 miles on the track. The track is only a 45 minute drive from my house, so I plan to get as much seat time there as possible. I will also check out your suggestions. Too bad you're moving out of the area.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have your own helmet yet?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Dagget427
Advanced

Yes, on owning my own helmet. I have a 1968 Chevelle with a 427 that I used to run 1/4 mile with, but now mainly just drive it on the street. The road course bug has bitten me pretty hard, so my attention has turned to the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To First track day this past weekend.

Quick Reply: First track day this past weekend.