Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA- 2011 Grand Sport w/mods- SS, SSm, SSr? What class?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Default SCCA- 2011 Grand Sport w/mods- SS, SSm, SSr? What class?

I am just getting into Autocross. I finished my novice group and placed first in my last novice event... Needless to say, I am now kicked out of novice and on to classing.

So, the C6 classes as SS- I also see SSM and SSR, and not sure what throws me into each. I have a pesky Lotus running on race tires in SSR with my local group. I downloaded the rulebook, but being so unfamiliar with it, it left me a bit confused.

My Mods:
Intake, Longtubes, and exhaust

I would also like to add a stage 1 style suspension- Sways and shocks- will that also schange my class?

Ultimately, I am only doing this to better me as a driver, and not worried about points and nationals and such, but I want to play by the rules.

If I switch to race tires, I think I am sure that moves me...

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mods put you in SSP if you keep leaf springs. Coliovers put you into SSM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Your current mods put you into SSP (Super Street Prepared). Your planned suspension mods (sways and shocks) are allowed in SSP, as are R-compound tires. The rule book tells you what mods you are allowed to do in each category (stock, street prepared, street modified, etc.). If it doesn't say you can do it, then you can't.

As mentioned, if you were to move to coilovers, you would bump to SSM (Super Street Modified).

I don't know what SSR is, in its current form in your area. It isn't a National class, probably a Regional class. The name "SSR" is likely going to be used as a National class in the next year or so, denoting "Super Stock, R-compound", as there is currently a proposal to morph the current "Stock" category (which allows R-comps) into "Street" where R-compound tires are not allowed, except in the new SSR class.

Currently there are no modified classes for Corvettes that require street tires. In SSP you'll be running against cars with R-compound tires.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Thanks... I looked back at our old results fromt eh past few events, and the classes were
SS
SSP
SSM

That dang lotus is SSP, guess I need to really step up my game as he was 3 seconds quicker than dang near everyone else except carts...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Depending on course design and driver, your GS is just as fast as that Lotus. Driver mod is huge in auto-x, especially in a class like SS or SSP.

Ask Sam Strano how he feels about Lotus products. LOL.

Honestly, I would not do the mods and undo the ones you got. Then run the car in SS. GS's don't need much of anything to be fast as hell in auto-x.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

If all I cared about was autox and points, I'd leave it stock. However, the car is a toy for me, and I like the mods just to enhance my fun factor.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA- 2011 Grand Sport w/mods- SS, SSm, SSr? What class?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCCA- 2011 Grand Sport w/mods- SS, SSm, SSr? What class?