Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun a bearing, rebuilding for SSP, need advice

Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Nsomniac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spun a bearing, rebuilding for SSP, need advice

Well, with only 43k miles on the car, my C5Z has rod knock in at least 1 cylinder. I'm going to have to do a rebuild, so I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a list of internals that can be upgraded (if any) mostly for durability. This is an auto-x only car, and the only current mods are intake, headers, HFC, and catch can. I have to run SSP due to the seat I put in so I could fit.

So if anyone could help out with what I can upgrade, or point me to a thread, I would greatly appreciate it. I tried reading the SSP portion of the SCCA manual, but it might as well be in Spanish for me.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Long block must be essentially stock for Street Prepared. Intake is free. You can upgrade to forged pistons, but they must be same weight/heavier than stock and not change compression ratio or quench area. Maximum allowable overbore is 0.0472". Crank/rods/cam/heads/rockers must be stock. Balancing allowed, but not lightening. Oil pan, pump, pickup may be upgraded and Accusump is allowed.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 10-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

port the oil pump or get an accusump (keep that oil pressure up around 55 or higher psi)
new stock valvesprings are key (keep them fresh)
catch can
stock crank pulley has short life span, get an ATI damper
get a c5r timing chain (katech) (do not use Ls2 chain, as you need a dampener, if you use the ls2 one, it wont mount on the block)
dont run too much timing and dont put the rev limiter above 7000
use quality gas
fresh plugs and wires
and LS2 tensioner is better than the Ls6 stock one (or katech)
Make sure the oil temp is at least 165 degrees before going on course, dont beat on the car when the engine is cold
dont do any skidpad testing, you will oil starve the engine
thats about it really
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

also recommend an oil that has a high zinc content (not standard mobil one, but either mobil1 race, joe gibbs, or euro spec mobil 1 etc
Make sure you plug gaps are .045 or less.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Post if you know what happened, that's very low miles for a spun bearing in an ls6.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Nsomniac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all advice thus far. I know I lost a quart of oil somewhere, but can't find a leak or any spray. Catch can is still mostly empty as well. Also didn't hear the knock until I pulled it off the trailer back home. That parts list will really help. I haven't decided if I am rebuilding this one or putting in a crate LS3, LSX, etc. and going to SSM.

Thanks again,

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Spun a bearing, rebuilding for SSP, need advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spun a bearing, rebuilding for SSP, need advice